U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM

1,927 posts, read 996,754 times

Advertisements

I'm going to the dance there Friday night in my new location. If I like it, I will go back Saturday night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM

239 posts, read 154,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post

Are Senior Centers doing enough to get you interested? How will they attract the bomers who are coming along? I'm hoping to learn what other people are thinking so I can apply my limited energies to things that are truly important to us.

My town has a Senior Center, I see the brochure that comes in the mail, but I have never looked into it. So far I haven't had the desire or felt the need to go there. I'm involved in a sports center, a local church, a friendly neighborhood and meet regularly with friends and family.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM

239 posts, read 154,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
My senior center has pool tables, pickle ball, weights, jazzacise, sculpture, painting, drumming, beginner guitar, and the list goes on. I go over three times a week after dropping DH at adult daycare.
This senior center sounds like fun. Hm, maybe I should get my husband to go over to the senior center and check it out. I've heard that our center has a group that goes golfing and has competitions and such. I really love pickle ball, sculpting and painting.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:14 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,533,977 times
Fran66 has raved about the senior centers in my city and I know they have a good reputation. Fran is from San Diego and has high standards so I trust her judgment. I’m still working and have never been to one but several have sports and fitness centers and there is a hiking group that operates sort of like a meet up group. The type of activities seem to vary with the 10 or so centers and their locations. Some of the centers serve the low cost meals, have more social services, and seem to have less physical activity (e.g., lots of board games, quilting). I think you have to pick a center(s) that has the type of events that appeal to you.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:36 PM

6,363 posts, read 5,091,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Fran66 has raved about the senior centers in my city and I know they have a good reputation. Fran is from San Diego and has high standards so I trust her judgment. I’m still working and have never been to one but several have sports and fitness centers and there is a hiking group that operates sort of like a meet up group. The type of activities seem to vary with the 10 or so centers and their locations. Some of the centers serve the low cost meals, have more social services, and seem to have less physical activity (e.g., lots of board games, quilting). I think you have to pick a center(s) that has the type of events that appeal to you.
Ours offers free admission to Zumba class at a local gym. Also all kinds of other discounts at stores in our county when you present your card.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 PM

22,025 posts, read 14,467,171 times
Our community center has a really nice gym, and we got there 2-3 times a week. There are many older people there and we have become friendly with a few people. There are some really old people who surprise me with their amazing prowess on machines and with weights. I love to see that; it gives me encouragement.

But we don't visit for any other reason. I do believe there is a noon meal for seniors, but I am quite sure I would not like it. I prefer to cook for myself, and DH. Or we eat out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or