U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:21 PM

746 posts, read 3,179,552 times

Advertisements

It appears that just about every city or town has a senior center. The names and services offered vary from place to place. I am curious as to whether you use it, and if not, why not.

It was a consideration when I chose my current retirement community, but there are lots of retirees who I never see there. Perhaps it is because they still have their husbands or wives, and are pretty independent. My local center has mostly widows, few men, and focuses on what I consider dull things like Bingo, bridge and trips to the mall.

Those of us who are nearer 65 than 95 are more computer-oriented, still like to do different things to keep life interesting, and enjoy a good conversation about more than the weather. Does your local center reflect the diversity of the retired community, or is it stuck in a time warp?

If you have visited your local one to check it out, did you get a warm greeting and made to feel welcome, or did you feel like you were being inspected and judged?

I was just asked to rejoin my local Friends board and am not sure if they are any more ready for me than they were two years ago. I can be pretty feisty and original.

Please help me underrstand what you thhink a senior center could and should be, beyond the usual exercise classes, hot lunches and van trips to the doctor and supermarket which most seem to offer. (And that is not to put down these services at all, they can be a crtical service for many!)

Are Senior Centers doing enough to get you interested? How will they attract the bomers who are coming along? I'm hoping to learn what other people are thinking so I can apply my limited energies to things that are truly important to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
Here, the senior center is more like adult day care than anything else. I'm not quite ready for that yet. I'm still inclined to think I'm too young to hang out there. I run past there a couple times a week and most of the people I see have some kind of physical or mental disability.

Today, I can't think of anything that would make me want to be there. I'm sure I will change over the next 20 yrs or so.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
It appears that just about every city or town has a senior center. The names and services offered vary from place to place. I am curious as to whether you use it, and if not, why not.

It was a consideration when I chose my current retirement community, but there are lots of retirees who I never see there. Perhaps it is because they still have their husbands or wives, and are pretty independent. My local center has mostly widows, few men, and focuses on what I consider dull things like Bingo, bridge and trips to the mall.

Those of us who are nearer 65 than 95 are more computer-oriented, still like to do different things to keep life interesting, and enjoy a good conversation about more than the weather. Does your local center reflect the diversity of the retired community, or is it stuck in a time warp?

If you have visited your local one to check it out, did you get a warm greeting and made to feel welcome, or did you feel like you were being inspected and judged?

I was just asked to rejoin my local Friends board and am not sure if they are any more ready for me than they were two years ago. I can be pretty feisty and original.

Please help me underrstand what you thhink a senior center could and should be, beyond the usual exercise classes, hot lunches and van trips to the doctor and supermarket which most seem to offer. (And that is not to put down these services at all, they can be a crtical service for many!)

Are Senior Centers doing enough to get you interested? How will they attract the bomers who are coming along? I'm hoping to learn what other people are thinking so I can apply my limited energies to things that are truly important to us.
great chess club.
great painting instruction.
great french class
star bucks recycled pastry and coffee at a mega discount.
nice people
did i leave anything out?
stephen s
san diego

Old 09-22-2007, 08:14 AM

873 posts, read 2,092,972 times
Senior Center in Wellfleet (MA) is a large, new, building. Lots of activities and events. I'm a volunteer (board member) on the Friends of the Council on Aging (we raise money for the Senior Center). I don't have much contact with other such facilities, but I believe we have a very good one in my town.

Rich

Old 09-22-2007, 09:09 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,909,853 times
BLAH.. I have to agree with OP on this one. The SC in my town is brand new and they spent a lot of money on opening it but they don't do a darn thing there that is of interest to me being in my early 60s.
They have line dancing 2 days a week (whatever that is)
Bingo (whoopee)
Gospel singing
They serve a hot lunch everyday
Have a dance every month at 3 pm.

They do have computers for people to use, treadmills, reading room but you can't take home the books and pool tables. No classes and heaven forbid you try to do anything new as the older seniors (meaning the ones that have been there a while) will pitch a hissy fit. I was told that happened when some tried to start an excercise program. They moved the group across the street to the rec center.
I would love to take painting lessons, play bridge (again) or just learn something new.
I am a widow and fairly new to this small town. It is very hard to meet people my age around here unless you go to a church. I am very disappointed at least right now maybe not in 20 years.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-22-2007 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Forgot the bingo..

Old 09-22-2007, 05:15 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,249,162 times
We have a Senior Center but I've never been inside it. It's going to sound strange, but it looks like all old people to me. I am over 55 but not that old. I am still active and I just don't see myself hanging out there.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:58 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,855,957 times
Our senior center is pretty good but as the first poster said, most of it is boring and for the older set. They play bingo. They do have computers and art classes and
last year they started a yoga class -- that's the only thing I've ever been to. They have line dancing, knitting, and a few other things that don't interest me. There definitely is a generation gap here.

I would like an exercise room, a cozy living room type of place to sit and have coffee and read and mix with other people, speakers coming in some afternoons and giving talks, and now and then a good movie. It has sort of an unfriendly atmosphere, like WHO are you? People there sort of stare at anyone new and you get the feeling that it's sort of gossipy too. Another thing, I feel these places have a stigma about them, that the only people who go there are decrepit and frail and it's the next thing to a nursing home. I'm joining the Y!!!

Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
This thread is nine and a half years old.

Interesting to see some posts of almost ten years ago from posters who are still active in the Retirement Forum. I do not go back quite that far myself.

As for the topic, there is a senior center within easy walking distance from me. I was in there once to inquire about the chess club, which I never did get around to attending. Perhaps writing about it will motivate me to give it a try. I am curious about the whole operation, about which I know very little despite having lived here for 16 years.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:14 AM

6,313 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
We have a Senior Center but I've never been inside it. It's going to sound strange, but it looks like all old people to me. I am over 55 but not that old. I am still active and I just don't see myself hanging out there.
I'm 56 and feel the same way. But I do belong to one - lol. I'm usually the youngest one in any group activity I attend and it feels weird.

Most of them are in late late 60 s and up to 90 something. My older sisters are members and we do a lot of things together, so that is why I joined.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:15 AM

6,313 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Oh and I love bingo. Why do people hate it so much. Maybe being catholic, something I grew up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or