U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 AM

320 posts, read 510,742 times

Advertisements

I am planning to live in NC after retirement but hate the hot, humid summers. I would love to find a place to rent for July and August somewhere where the days are cooler and at night, I can open my windows to sleep.
Does anyone have any recommendations for cities that might meet this criteria? I would rather be close to a bigger city just for some dining and social activities.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:07 AM

28,502 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I would love to find a place to rent for July and August
somewhere where the days are cooler and at night, I can open my windows to sleep.
Changes in latitude, changes in attitude.
Changes in altitude help even more

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for cities that might meet this criteria?
Nope. No cities at all. Beach towns could be a maybe.

Quote:
...close to a bigger city just for some dining and social activities.
You need to define close and some.
One evening a week and home for bed? Or a 3 day trip with a hotel stay?

The best compromise I can come up with is the mountains.
From the Catoctins to the Adirondacks and over to the White Mountains in NH.
You can catch a train or even from there down to NYC or Boston for an occasional get away.

If I ever get my remodeling done... I'll tune up my RV for exactly the sort of summer
being described here and then use it again in Jan/Feb down in Florida for snowbirding too.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 AM

4,241 posts, read 8,085,527 times
NC is a large state, and the elevation ranges from literally sea level to 6,000 feet...no idea 'where' in NC your plan is, but one could live in western NC, or closer to Asheville, and be able to enjoy cooler summers, and the myriad of restaurants, 'social', and stuff to do in A'ville. It isn't Atlanta or Charlotte or...but, none of those are NYC area, either.

To reduce temps, it is all about elevation: 3,000 ft & up gets you less hot, 4,000 & up gets you rarely hot, 5,000 ft & up gets you seldom hot/warm. Not pitching living on a Mtn ridge, as it is not for everyone, but your post is pretty vague as to needs and wants.

And, if you are leaving ATL area for the low areas of NC, it is a fairly even trade in terms of 'summer weather', imo.
GL, mD

Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 AM

320 posts, read 510,742 times
I know every town in NC and Asheville is hot in the summer. The Boone/Blowing Rock area is much better temperature-wise but a little too rural for what I am looking for, i.e. too far from a Whole Foods.

I was thinking of something in NY/New England or environs as MrRational suggests. Riding a train to a big city for a weekend would be great. I don't care to live at a beach but near a lake/mountains would be fine. It doesn't have to be a vacation house or in a resort but perhaps in downtown in a city which I was thinking might be less expensive.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
Coastal Maine...

Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM

28,502 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I was thinking of something in NY/New England or environs as MrRational suggests. Riding a train to a big city for a weekend would be great.
The Adirondacks are my first choice.

I don't care to live at a beach but near a lake/mountains would be fine.
A weekend at a beach every 3-4 years is plenty for me.
I prefer clear and un-salty water.

It doesn't have to be a vacation house or in a resort but perhaps in downtown in a city...
OK. Maybe a summer sublet is available? $1000 a month might do it.
Probably more though anywhere that's worth being.
Look for one with an RV hookup and I'll go in on it with you.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,294 times
Sounds like anywhere in New England would suit, although not sure how big a city you want. If Boston or somewhere like that, they get plenty stinky and hot in summer too. And opening your windows depends on how bad the smog is! Plenty of nice smaller cities in Vermont, Maine, etc.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM

8,087 posts, read 4,421,113 times
Finger Lakes region of NY might be an option

Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM

13,889 posts, read 25,327,549 times
How about Park City, UT? It's normally very expensive but summer rentals are more reasonable. And you are close to SLC. It will be warm and dry during the daytime but very comfortable/cool at night.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,085,527 times
Here is the list of every Whole Foods in the US...
Fwiw, we had a high of 55 degs here today.

I've lived in NC for 11 years, and I don't "know every town" in NC...

http://wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/all/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or