Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

I had 35 years in and at age 58 found out I could retire. If I stayed until I was 65, I would have received a grand total of an extra $70.00 a month. I was tired of being micromanaged, being called an idiot by a supervisor every single day and being told, along with several hundred other employees by the department heads, "if you don't like it, there's the door". I was to the point that I wasn't sleeping and my stomach was in knots.

I couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough. Now, I can't believe how well and sound I sleep and haven't a care in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM

47 posts, read 98,195 times
I decided to retire when I was 59. I worked in a highly stressful nursing job and I noticed that my mind just wasn't as sharp as it had been and I was very worried about making a mistake and harming someone. On top of the stress that I had been dealing with for years, we were getting more and more drug addicted patients and family members who would act out big time.
I was scheduled to have surgery and would have been out of work for 8 weeks. Hubby and I discussed it and he was all in favor of my retiring.
I'm glad I did. I was working a lot of evenings and wouldn't see my husband at all. Once I retired we enjoyed evening meals together and I would always try to make something special. Three years later he passed away so I am grateful for this time we had together.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM

52 posts, read 89,887 times
Redwolf fan- I have also seen that with entertainers-(singers) that REALLY need to call it quits, they are horrible!

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
at 41, now 64, I realized early that working wasn't all it was cracked up to be, saved and invested well and have been retired for 23 years.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:38 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace omalley View Post
I decided to retire when I was 59. I worked in a highly stressful nursing job and I noticed that my mind just wasn't as sharp as it had been and I was very worried about making a mistake and harming someone. On top of the stress that I had been dealing with for years, we were getting more and more drug addicted patients and family members who would act out big time.
I was scheduled to have surgery and would have been out of work for 8 weeks. Hubby and I discussed it and he was all in favor of my retiring.
I'm glad I did. I was working a lot of evenings and wouldn't see my husband at all. Once I retired we enjoyed evening meals together and I would always try to make something special. Three years later he passed away so I am grateful for this time we had together.
This sounds like me but I'm an RT. My husband retires next year so I will see him every day whether I retire or not. I'm sorry for your loss and welcome to the forum.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:09 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I'm 51 and just starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I'd retire tomorrow if I could . . keep my same salary!

I have a son who will be a senior in HS this year and then off to college. I'd like to think that I can hang in there until he graduates college.

One woman in my department just retired at 72. She looked much younger but I don't want to be working this job at age 72 if I can possibly avoid it.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
At age 57, I was working for a newspaper owned by Advanced Publications, part of the Newhouse media empire. The internet was rapidly eroding newspaper advertising and the pressure to sell was enormous. The micromanaging became intolerable, the stress was huge. Finally one day I realized that I was losing sleep (and money), taking depression medication and crying on the phone to my Mom BECAUSE IT HAD BECOME MY JOB TO MAKE SURE THE NEWHOUSE FAMILY STAYED FILTHY RICH. That's when I knew it was time to get the hell out of there. No regrets. Not a one.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
They told me, Someone important wanted my job for one of his friends, they offered me a sweet deal to go awway and I took it. The measure of success is how much they will pay you to go away

Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
They told me, Someone important wanted my job for one of his friends, they offered me a sweet deal to go awway and I took it. The measure of success is how much they will pay you to go away
It was sort of similar in my case, but it was to prevent from some one loosing their position since they were at the bottom! It wasn't a great deal because I was penalized for retiring 6 yrs early, but to me it was worth retiring and get out of the "Human Rat Race" indefinitely!
15 yrs later, I don't regret retiring 6 yrs early and I recouped and then some of all what I was penalized for and 2 of my other pensions kicked in after I turned the age of 60! So all in all, everything worked out to my advantage in the end!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
When did you know it was time to retire? Was it a single moment, or a series of small awakenings?

Was it a health issue? An idea sparked by family members moving away? Something that someone else said? Or maybe one day you just couldn't stand rush hour traffic anymore?

What's your story?
My first retirement came 13 years ago. I knew I had maxed out in my career, I was not going any further and my job was getting a little boring. So, at 62, I decided to say good bye but I started another career. I became a part time travel agent, working for a very large store front agency in Southlake, Tx. I loved my job, hated my boss. A few years later, hubby got laid off along with about 50 others from his company. We decided to say goodbye to the work force and re-locate to NM. All went well, we enjoyed our frredom and our new life. Then one day, someone approached with with a proposition. i was asked to become an travel agent again, but out of our home. Well, I did it cause it was my true love and I am passionate about travel, especially cruising.

Now, here I am, about 8 years later and I have finally decided, I have really had enough of the working routine, even though part of me loves it. I know the time has come. It has taken many years to get working out of my system, but it has happened. Now I am content to play bridge, garden, cook, can and spend time on the computer, when I am not volunteering at church or helping to get candidates elected to office. Gee, maybe I haven't truely retired, I sure seem to be as busy as ever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement