U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM

56 posts, read 59,748 times
Talking Retirement communities for -50 people who are disabled?

We have a 48 year old here who had a quad bypass operation and is still in ruff shape. Its been a year and he is still on the road to healing up. His medical needs are stabilized, so he doesn't need constant care.

Recently Social Security had a hearing for his SSDI application and even their representative told the judge based on medical records this guy couldn't work 2 hours, let alone a full day.

His lifting capacity is about a gallon and a half of Milk, or about 25 pounds.

he is looking for a reasonable retirement community where someone under 50 can go and life a comfortable life. He is currently in a veterans home, and wants out of there so badly because they charge him way to much for what little space he has.

He has his own car, can do his own shopping, but might need a little help now and then with heavy items. He is currently in Michigan.

Any ideas for this veteran? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM

4,884 posts, read 3,827,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbledor View Post
Any ideas for this veteran? Thanks.
How much money does he have? That's what will determine where he lives as it determines where all the rest of us live.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM

4,704 posts, read 3,212,786 times
There is no shortage of retirement communities or people willing to provide a wide-range of fee-based services for about anything one can imagine. However, you suggest that the Veterans home he is in already charges him "way too much for what little space he has." From that, I can only assume that you are seeking a minimum cost "retirement community."

In that respect, he should probably check into some of the many limited income HUD housing communities. Some of these are really very nice and well maintained; and often include things like an on-site cafeteria with reduced-price meals -- and handicapped accessible apartments. One's rent is typically charged at about 30% of whatever their income is ... and often includes a 2-4-room apartment w/small kitchenette. People on SSI often do quite well in these places -- much better than in similar private apartments or low-cost housing. (One in particular that comes to mind is 'Trinity Towers in Melbourne, Florida; but, there are many others throughout the country). The limitation may be his age, since some (?) of these HUD places are limited to 60+ years old.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There is no shortage of retirement communities or people willing to provide a wide-range of fee-based services for about anything one can imagine. However, you suggest that the Veterans home he is in already charges him "way too much for what little space he has." From that, I can only assume that you are seeking a minimum cost "retirement community."

In that respect, he should probably check into some of the many limited income HUD housing communities. Some of these are really very nice and well maintained; and often include things like an on-site cafeteria with reduced-price meals -- and handicapped accessible apartments. One's rent is typically charged at about 30% of whatever their income is ... and often includes a 2-4-room apartment w/small kitchenette. People on SSI often do quite well in these places -- much better than in similar private apartments or low-cost housing. (One in particular that comes to mind is 'Trinity Towers in Melbourne, Florida; but, there are many others throughout the country). The limitation may be his age, since some (?) of these HUD places are limited to 60+ years old.
Yes, that is about what he is looking for. But he is trying to find one that is geared more to helping veterans. He will be getting about 2400 a month, which for this area is about average.

They charge him 3100 a month in the Dormitory unit at the vets home. He takes care of himself mostly and his biggest problem will be moving heavy items. Other than that he is becoming well adjusted to his new limitations.

He figures that prior to going to the vets home, he paid about 2k per month for his entire cost of living at an apartment complex, where he got a 900 sq foot 2bedroom, bath and half, lower with walk out and garage. he Had to pay 635 a month for that. And he was working full time. he paid electric, phone and Cable Tv/internet. Heat was included, and access to laundry facilities also included.

At the vets home, he gets 58 sq feet of private space for his bed, dresser, and small end table, and the rest is shared space.. they have 2 nurses on duty, each running an 8 hour shift, and gets to see the doc twice a week, (doc is there for 2 hours each time), if he needs it but he rarely goes. Most of his current medical needs can be done as an outpatient.

Part of his problem is that although he is classified as a homeless veteran while here, the state will not give him HUD vouchers as they say he is NOT homeless while he is here. So one part of the government is saying he is, the other is saying hes not.

So he wants to move out and find some place for the younger retirees/disabled people.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 PM

41,649 posts, read 44,930,403 times
He also might want to check on rehab as that is unusual unless he has other problem with a by pass;especially at that age.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM

2,764 posts, read 5,663,218 times
He will get $2400 a month and cannot arrange a good life? What is missing?

My mom gets probably $1200 a month combined in SS and a tiny pension and when she moved here in July will have a one bedroom first floor apartment with all untilities for $700 a month(they have cheaper ones). She does have to cook her own meals but that is not a stressful activity. She has a free shuttle bus to stores 6 days a week and can use a powered wheelchair if needed while there. If she needs any help and we are not around, there is a service she can hire for just those things she needs like housecleaning, giving medicine, etc. It is paid hourly and only as needed. Each building at Crestwood has community rooms, sunrooms, inside laundry, mail and garbage service.

Many HUD properties can have a % of their population under 55 but would he truly be comfortable with such an older population?

Consider Indianapolis. Crestwood Village is where she is moving and there are two other new huge affordable apartment complexes being built right now downtown. Lots of other ones but only Crestwood has such an extensive daily bus service. Contact Crestwood to see if a disabled veteran would qualify for their complex. They have four, one on each side of town.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He also might want to check on rehab as that is unusual unless he has other problem with a by pass;especially at that age.
Rehab here has him walking around, which for now, is the best thing he can do, and about the only thing. Its a Catch 22 here..

The veterans home is actually the worst place for his recovery from the surgery, yet its where he calls home for now.

That is why we were trying to find a retirement community for people between 45 and 55, when he could qualify for the other ones.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
He will get $2400 a month and cannot arrange a good life? What is missing?

My mom gets probably $1200 a month combined in SS and a tiny pension and when she moved here in July will have a one bedroom first floor apartment with all untilities for $700 a month(they have cheaper ones). She does have to cook her own meals but that is not a stressful activity. She has a free shuttle bus to stores 6 days a week and can use a powered wheelchair if needed while there. If she needs any help and we are not around, there is a service she can hire for just those things she needs like housecleaning, giving medicine, etc. It is paid hourly and only as needed. Each building at Crestwood has community rooms, sunrooms, inside laundry, mail and garbage service.

Many HUD properties can have a % of their population under 55 but would he truly be comfortable with such an older population?

Consider Indianapolis. Crestwood Village is where she is moving and there are two other new huge affordable apartment complexes being built right now downtown. Lots of other ones but only Crestwood has such an extensive daily bus service. Contact Crestwood to see if a disabled veteran would qualify for their complex. They have four, one on each side of town.

I'll pass it on to him.. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM

4,884 posts, read 3,827,348 times
When I think of a retirement community I think of a community. I think of a place with homes and businesses planned to serve the aged with those things that we would expect them to wish. I especially think of it as a community in which people can escape troublesome situations. I find it impossible to think of one or several buildings as a community when those buildings may be surrounded by areas of high crime, screaming children, and the rest of the problems we wish to escape.

I wasn't being snide when I said that it depended upon money. I believe in this case the OP would be best served seeking a place as similar as possible to what the man had before his problems. We have no idea of his finances but at his age he should be able to buy something suitable.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
When I think of a retirement community I think of a community. I think of a place with homes and businesses planned to serve the aged with those things that we would expect them to wish. I especially think of it as a community in which people can escape troublesome situations. I find it impossible to think of one or several buildings as a community when those buildings may be surrounded by areas of high crime, screaming children, and the rest of the problems we wish to escape.

I wasn't being snide when I said that it depended upon money. I believe in this case the OP would be best served seeking a place as similar as possible to what the man had before his problems. We have no idea of his finances but at his age he should be able to buy something suitable.
Now I agree with your ideas, as they are similar to what I was thinking.
A business or group of homes, or whatever, planned to serve the needs of a specific general group of people. Be those people 55 and older, or people with special needs, or both, or other such things.

I also agree that several housing buildings surrounded by High crime, screaming kids, and constant road noise is not some place I would want to call home.

There is an assisted living village near here, but the minimum age is 63. These are small quad-plex apartments, with garages, and 3 key locations within each is a button to push for nursing or assistance. (bath room, kitchen, bedroom). The apartments are only about 6 to 700 sq ft, but they are big enough for 1 person or a couple. And all are designed for handicap access..

That is kind of like what I would like to find for my friend. I think he would be happy in a situation like that.

Also, the local stores are just 1 major suburb block away, and the home has Golf cart type carts the residents use to go shopping. They even have a special path that goes between buildings as part of a bike path, that the residents use to go to there, for those who cannot drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement