Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Wowzers. Boca is looking very attractive to me right now. Those look like very nice places, Caladium. Can't wait to hear what insight Bette might have.

Even with high insurance and HOA added on top of the investment, those are still amazing prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Seems retirees have all different price points and viewpoints when it comes to retirement housing. Me, I like a sweet little bungalow or cottage (get it well-inspected to make sure its plumbing, electric, roof and such are in good shape) in a nifty, little arty town.

Give me a porch, walkability, maybe a community or small college, friendly neighbors, and I'm happy as a clam. A good hospital or medical center is a good idea, too.

And I think this is very doable for $40-$60, 000, if you do your research.

As far as making friends, that's not that challenging, I've found, if you volunteer for groups/organizations that you care about. Towns depend on active retirees who want to step up and play a role in these crucial organizations. Me, I'm on the board of our local Friends of the Library. Now I've great friends, and lots of great books to read, too.

My parents retired to Florida to a reasonably priced condo and found their condo fees keep rising for needed repairs like a new roof for their development, and living that close to neighbors was not so enjoyable...I like people, but don't want to live cheek by jowl with them...too sensitive to noise...

Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Sun City original in AZ condo's can be found for as little as $40,000, bank owned. It is hard to get bored here with all the activities. Last night at the pool that looks like a 60's resort to me had classic rock playing, no Benny Goodman to be found. Things are changing all the time. So, you can find affordable retirement spots here or luxury lake front properties or golf course homes as well. Something for everyone.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Last night at the pool that looks like a 60's resort to me had classic rock playing, no Benny Goodman to be found.
LOL LOL yesterday after I posted the Arkansas photos I talked with my friend there and he said a similar thing--apparently some sort of Led Zeppelin tribute band had made its way into Hot Springs Village. The last time I went to a concert there, they had beach boys type music and jerry lee lewis--but Led Zeppelin? I guess it's a sign that the boomers are starting to move into retirement communities.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Someone I know has a grown kid with children living southwest of Chicago in one of those towns, is it Naperville? (I forget) and loves it. Anyway I wonder if you could stay close to Chicago but find a condo a little ways out. Your situation now sounds great. May I ask what your annual condo fee is that it covers heat and a.c.?
Almost $700 a month for heat, air, swimming pool, 1 indoor heated parking space and 1 outdoor space, recreation room, updated life safety systems, 4 maintenance staff, 2 persons in the office, other common area maintenance and park-like grounds. Assessments are based on size and location of the unit. I have a 2,000 sq. ft unit on a high floor ... with an unobstructed view of Downtown Chicago from my 15' x 6' balcony.

Naperville is the fastest growing or second fastest in the state of Illinois. It's a bit too far from city center for me, especially so because I gave up my car and use public transport. If I'm not in the city then there's no reason to live "near" Chicago.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wowzers. Boca is looking very attractive to me right now. Those look like very nice places, Caladium. Can't wait to hear what insight Bette might have.

Even with high insurance and HOA added on top of the investment, those are still amazing prices.
I'm curious about something. What happens if 80% of the units are in foreclosure and the lenders (who may actually be halfway around the world) walk away? Does the HOA (assuming it still has members) multiply your fees by five to pay the bills? I have no idea but I'm curious.

In California banks have actually demolished homes that were just too expensive too keep funding.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
...a sweet little bungalow or cottage, well-inspected to make sure its plumbing, electric, roof and such are in good shape), porch, walkability, maybe a community or small college, friendly neighbors, and I'm happy as a clam. A good hospital or medical center is a good idea, too. in a nifty, little arty town.
And I think this is very doable for $40-$60, 000, if you do your research.
Very? I'd call it somewhere between slim and gotta be outta your mind.

On the other thread I put up some listings for my rather affordable town.
One of them qualifies under this but is listed at $215,000 and still needs a few things. LINK

So... I'm gonna call you on this assertion of yours. OK?
Please provide a listing link for three examples of this. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There are two very different sorts of places where homes are available for und 50k. The first sort of place is the big city anger zones, the places where any reasonable and rational person knows that it's just a matter of time until he becomes a victim. I find it hard to believe but there seems to be no shortage of people willing to accept this situation. They speak of gentrifying neighborhoods, code for dangerous areas that they believe are located in the path of redevelopment. It requires what I call urban fatalism to make a home there. People must assume that bad events are both expected and acceptable. I'm originally from Illinois and have talked to many people from Chicago who have this mindset. I couldn't do it; I need a pleasant life. Safety and security have always ranked far above the need to live where the local (supposedly) beautiful people do.

There are homes in some small towns that fall into this price range as well. Crime isn't a problem but there are others. These are not places that are convenient to many desirable and even necessary goods and services. They're certainly livable provided that people are willing to do some driving; this becomes oppressive very quickly. The individual who needs the mall or prepackaged entertainment may have a very difficult time. I often read of small town gossip problems on c-d but those problem only affect those who choose to be part of the gosiping grrops. It's not a requirement for being accepted.

It's unrealistic to seek a place with exceptionally low priced homes wothout expecting some major compromises as far as living the good life is concerned. The vibrant, friendly, exciting area that will provide the dream life and is also cheap is a fantasy. People pay more for the desirable, less for the undesirable.

I agree with much of this post. Sometimes we think that we can move to these cheaper homes but we forget about all the problems that make them cheap. In addition to the thoughts above, I would also look at the type of people who will be your neighbors because these are the only homes they can afford.

There will be those who do not have the funds to maintain their homes--that is why they bought cheap because they have less money. The homes around you start to deteriorate. Your neighbor will not cooperate on fence repair. Your condo association will have to make up for the fees of those who will not pay.

You will run into some members of the poor who come from the defective gene pool. They will let their dogs run wild and they think a pit bull is a status symbol. They have the thinking of the poor trash with loud behavior; family disputes with police calls to their addresses; alcohol and drug problems. They throw garbage all over the streets. They park junk cars everywhere. Some people have less money because they have personality disorder and their behaviors verge on the violent, so therefore they cannot maintain a higher paying job. They pass the genes to their misbehaving brood which you will find all around you.

Also, when you are older you ability to defend yourself against these risks is lessened. Unfortunately this is the situation. Of course, there are other sane well behaving people living in these less expensive neighborhoods but it takes just a few, and there will always be a few, who will destroy the comfortable living that you expect. Not all the people living in these places are poor and cannot maintain their properties and pay their association fees but enough that it will impact the ability to maintain the areas. Do not assume that seniors are all good people because some are trash people that got older.

These are many of the reasons people try to live in the best neighborhoods they can find and they will have to pay the price for quality and that quality is not only the home but your neighbors.

Livecontent

Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL LOL yesterday after I posted the Arkansas photos I talked with my friend there and he said a similar thing--apparently some sort of Led Zeppelin tribute band had made its way into Hot Springs Village. The last time I went to a concert there, they had beach boys type music and jerry lee lewis--but Led Zeppelin? I guess it's a sign that the boomers are starting to move into retirement communities.
The Stones are the new Goodman now. I knew this would happen.....The Lemon Song in nursing homes, hahahahah.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M20659-08495

Most college towns are expensive but if you don't mind a marginally safe neighborhood then there are some cheaper places in Chico CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement