U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 18,111 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are newly retired and considering purchasing a motorhome so we can take our time and decide just where we want to spend the rest of our lives. Anyone out there done that? Positives and negatives would be appreciated. Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 01:47 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,559,278 times
My parents did exactly that and love it, they usually spend the winter in Florida and the summer in Maine, this year for a change of scenery they are spending the winter in Louisiana. My father is and always has been a very social person and needs to be around others like him and eats up this life style. When they retired they bought a motor home and spent 9 months on the road and called me each time they found something they thought i'd find interesting. They have a house in TN but only spend about 3 months out of the year there. Their newest motorhome is really a bus with the basement for storage and they are enjoying it very much.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:36 PM

483 posts, read 1,909,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
My parents did exactly that and love it, they usually spend the winter in Florida and the summer in Maine, this year for a change of scenery they are spending the winter in Louisiana. My father is and always has been a very social person and needs to be around others like him and eats up this life style. When they retired they bought a motor home and spent 9 months on the road and called me each time they found something they thought i'd find interesting. They have a house in TN but only spend about 3 months out of the year there. Their newest motorhome is really a bus with the basement for storage and they are enjoying it very much.
That's the good. The bad is: something falls off every time you start out on a trip. While it's under warranty, that's just a large hassle, locating a repair shop, leaving it for a few days while they wait for a part from who knows where,
and rescheduling the rest of your trip.

After the warranty runs out, add $1,000 repair bill to the woes.

Still, I give the idea a thumbs up.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM

4,739 posts, read 7,559,278 times
I'm sure there are repairs but in the last 4 Motorhomes they have bought combined and the 100,000 miles they put on them the repairs total were, a blown exaust manifold gasket other than maintenance. Not bad and never left them stranded.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:57 PM

4,143 posts, read 4,794,954 times
This place has everything you need to
know or ask, Super Great People

iRV2.com - RV information for all types of RV'ers.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,994,187 times
We have a friend who did exactly that, they spent $200,000. on the motorhome now that they bought the house in TN they are trying to sell the motorhome. If you can afford to invest in both a house and a motorhome I would say go for it, that would be a great adventure. For my husband and myself we traveled around in a car and then bought the property we will travel down in our motorhome and stay on the property while our house is being constructed.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,301,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxpacks View Post
My wife and I are newly retired and considering purchasing a motorhome so we can take our time and decide just where we want to spend the rest of our lives. Anyone out there done that?
Yup, we did that. We've been RV'ing for years so we had already been to a lot of places. However, at retirement, we hit the road and traveled around with the goal of finding a place to reitre. We had the luxury of spending time in different places to see if we liked it with the option of moving on if we decided it wasn't for us, rather than hurrying because we needed to get back to work. We ended-up settling down somewhere where we will again travel when we choose to travel. The difference will be that we won't need to hurry to return to work.

Here's what we traveled in "fulltime" for over a year:

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/rt-rear.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/rt-frt.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Positives and negatives would be appreciated. Thanx
I could attempt an entire dissertation on this subject for you. Instead, I will offer a better resource for you. It's the Escapee's RV Group. They're dedicated to providing support for people who are doing exactly what you're planning on doing, either for short or extended periods of time.

BTW, they're also a good group for people who aren't fulltiming. We joined them 5 years before we hit the road and will continue to be members now that we're back in a house.Click here for a link to their front page where you can find information about them and what they do and offer.

However, [URLmod cut[/url] to go directly to the Escapees Discussion Forum. You don't need to be a member to read and post on the site. You can ask any questions you want and get answers from many different people who have done and are doing what you're planning. You may also find many of your questions already discussed and answered if you just search the Forum.

I will emphasize that the Escapee's Discussion Forum is your best resource, IMO. The people tend to be more mature and experienced than you will find in many of the other forums. You will find experienced people at some of the other ones, but you commonly have to wade through the non-fulltime discussions and the too common computer screen bravado found on the internet, especially at the biggie site of RV.net.

Good luck on your adventure.

BTW, I will offer some questions for you to consider:

1) Are you and your spouse willing to live in 400 sq, or less, for an extended period of time, 24 hours per day, day after day?

2) Are you willing and able to put some big $$$ into a depreciating asset?

3) Are you handy?

4) Do you have a bit of wunderlust (sic) in your system?

5) Do both you and your spouse want to do this?

6) Are you willing to learn your RV systems and how to manage them in different weather conditions?

7) Do you have the income to support the lifestyle, especially if you'll be keeping your house while you travel?

8) Do you have an exit strategy, and ability, when you want to settle down?

These are just a few questions for you to think about so you can get things into perspective. I don't expect an answer, especially since some are designed to elicit some very personal responses.

Again, good luck!!!

ON EDIT: Oops, it looks like a Mod didn't like the direct link to the Escapees' Discussion Forum. Since I can't link directly to it, just go to the Escapee's front page in the other link I gave you, click on the Member's Only button (it will work even though you're not a member), and look at the top right of the page. You will see a link named "Discussion Form." That will get you there.

Last edited by garth; 09-25-2007 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: added question

Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
This summer I met a retired couple in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, who were "WorkKampers," and they had come there to volunteer 15 hours a week at the hot springs. Because they were enjoying their stay so much, they decided to stay through the winter to see if it would be a place they'd like to retire to. They had sold their home in Colorado, bought an RV and were moving around and having a great time! Good luck to you!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,373,346 times
The Escapees Discussion forum is an fantastic resource in finding information about RVing as garth has mentioned.

iRV2 also has an excellent discussion forum. These types of forums are excellent sources of information about RV'ing. I've gained so much over the years by reading the and participating in those forums.

For those of you who are interested in more information about RVing or how it relates to retirement, don’t hesitate to contact either garth or myself for more resources and/or information.

Escapees Discussion Forum (http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x - broken link)

iRV2.com RV Forum

Good luck.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
I can see the appeal, but I've always wondered how seniors who retire to the motorhome life handle serious illness. Do they have a network of doctors in the various states they visit? What if they become too sick/old to drive? Do they have to find an apartment (that seems like a rough time in life to have to find someplace to live). What if they hurt their feet or ankles and can;t get up into the motor home? Motor homes are pretty cramped; does that create a problem for people if they develop orthopeadic problems? I can;t picture walking on crutches inside a motor home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or