U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,450 times

Advertisements

What did it feel like to stop working? Wonderful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM

202 posts, read 746,788 times
Default totally natural

I retired a couple years ago and it feels like a never ending weekend, minus having to stuff everything into 2 days. I would think people who don't have a lot of outside interests will have tough adjustments, but I love gardening so it's been great. I worked part time at Home Depot the first summer, but let that go this year to do more home projects. Main thing I learned was it wasn't anything to be concerned about and don't spend your money on retirement books like I did.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
I know a woman who works now and then as an extra in films! Everyone needs an ordinary middle-aged woman to walk through a scene.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:33 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,821,439 times
Default About retirement books...

One great thing about retirement is that you learn how to do things inexpensively. I had to chuckle when I saw the advice about not buying retirement books. That's VERY good advice, (and also a good example of what you do during your retirement).

When you retire, you have the time to research things properly. You have the time to go to your public library and find out that plenty of retirement books are available for free. You have the time to read through these books and realize that (for the most part) they aren't much help at all.

If your library doesn't stock a particular book that you want, you have the time to request that the library buy the book. You will find out that writing the request is an interesting process, and that you get the most out of a library when you become involved.

You will realize that there are so many aspects and details of life that you didn't even see before because you were in such a rush. You finally have time to really become part of the world.

And... when you finally decide all the retirement books don't have information that's helpful to you, you will have time to write your own book. Even if you never publish it, the process will fascinate you, and you will learn an incredible amount about a subject that's interesting to you. You will wonder why you ever wasted your brain cells learning something for your former job.

How does it feel to stop working? It feels like graduating from kindergarten and going to the big kids school. You won't be spending hours and hours on the slide anymore. At first, you might miss the slide... but then you'll find other things that are much more interesting.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:15 AM

121 posts, read 498,106 times
When you no longer have to ask for time off work you can get last minute travel deals. You have plenty of time to research places on the internet that you want to visit, or to research anything you're interested in at all.

I've just stopped working and my husband and I are going to Africa as volunteers....well, he's the volunteer and I'm coming with him. This organization we are going with takes people up to age 75. Anyone looking for an adventure while doing good might like to do this. We rented out our house and sold our cars and are off for 2 years. People in their 50's and 60's are the age group growing the quickest as volunteers.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,237,947 times
Retirement was just like sex...........I knew right away that I was going to like it!
Seriously, after a while you will marvel that you ever had time to go to work.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:30 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,105,742 times
I often wonder now, how did I have time to work! I just seem to keep busy doing things I want to do and before you know it another week has gone by!

It took me a whole week to adjust and never looked back!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:16 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,554,182 times
I cannot wait to find the right words to post here when I stop working (when I light someone's cigarette with my RN license). Years to go, but it's a goal. Then I'll worry about how to structure time and social life. This profession has taken my spririt, my back and is currently working on my sense of self and reality.
As they say, as long as the check don't bounce. (And don't worry- it's not the patients- it's "nursing management," which is like "military justice"- oxymoron- and other RNs, especially psychiatric.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:26 PM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
It took me a while to really slow down.

But I like it now. I am building a new house for us, and working to convert some forest acreage into farmland. I am a vendor at an organic farmer's market, and I have gotten active at the VFW.

It does feel nice.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:09 AM

56 posts, read 309,268 times
I am not retired but am on leave for a year due to Fibromyalgia. I have been more busy since not working taking care of clutter and doing things with my family on good days when i am feeling well and never had time to do. Posting on this site is something i never had time to do. I often feel jealous of the greeters at WalMart. My neighbor is retired, his wife passed away 2 years ago and he golfs and now he is engaged to a woman who loves to golf!! And my in-laws travel, travel, travel. When they don't travel, they volunteer doing meals on wheels and other things. They go to Yoga and Tai Chi classes. The one thing you can really do (provided your health is intact) that u didn't have time to do while working is HAVE FUN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or