U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:56 AM

3,755 posts, read 9,614,586 times

Advertisements

I took 5 years off midcareer and was never going back. I found I was lonely all alone at home and would go to the library to have a "human" fix and then happily go back home. I loved going outside to garden and to be able to do things during the day. Finished a number of quilts.

However, I finally decided I needed more and started to enroll in school for an entirely new career. Corporate move happened again and we moved back to our original home. Took two more years but went back to work in the same office I left but at a lower stress job. 6 years later and I am still here with plans to permanently retire in 09.

This time I am going to have a part time volunteer job in a group I love and have every afternoon off. I think for me this is the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,907,788 times
It feels like freedom. If you want to, you do it; if you don't want to, you don't. As one poster put it: Every day is a new adventure.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 PM

880 posts, read 2,587,375 times
Default Heaven is retirement

no schedules , no alarm clocks, no commute traffice, no inter-office personal issues, no useless meetings, no need to pull on pantyhose! I can clean the house a little bit at a time, have two latte's and take two hours to drink them in my jammies. I can watch food network, work in the garden...heck HAVE a garden. I can stay up till 2:00 in the morning reading a good book...and sleep till noon if I want. I can walk the dog, have a long leisurely talk with the hubby, and go shopping whenever I want. I can do whatever I want on MY schedule! I can catch a show, take a class, meet with friends in the middle of the day mid-week.

We retired about 5 years ago and there is no going back. When I first retired I wasn't sure about the days just like you. Every now and then, I think about a seasonal job...then sanity kicks back in! We travel, I take classes I never had time to take before, I exercise (something else I said I didn't have time for), we take cooking classes together, and we just plain ol' relax.

I don't know how we ever got anything done when we worked. There is always something to do or someplace we want to explore.

But be assured your not alone. I think most of us females worry about the "what will I do" thing..or the "being poor" thing. Instead of worrying about it, start planning your first adventure! Before you know it, you'll get into the swing and won't be able to contain your excitement.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,191,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I cannot wait to find the right words to post here when I stop working (when I light someone's cigarette with my RN license). Years to go, but it's a goal. Then I'll worry about how to structure time and social life. This profession has taken my spririt, my back and is currently working on my sense of self and reality.
I've toyed with the idea of starting a journal to record daily .... well, sporadically ... on my general feelings/attitude/health toward work. That idea came up because I sometimes wonder what kind of person I'll be once I quit working.

I'm quite sure that the person living inside this skin is one who was molded and developed to meet the challenges, mostly, of my job. I work hours that don't fit my circadian rhythm, thereby setting me up physically to have problems. I have a schedule that isn't particularly conducive to a good relationship with my mate - though we work on keeping it in a good state. I suffer resentments because work obligations keep me from favorite activities. I don't have any coworker issues; in fact, my current work partner has enabled me to survive this job; but management - as usual - sucks. In short, I think my job has me, rather than I have a job

If I had come to that conclusion 10 years ago, I might have made a change. At this point, I'm just sticking it out for another 5 years, then retire early, along with my mate. And that's one point of the journal. I know that bad memories sometimes don't seem so bad given distance, so I can refer back to notes if I ever start thinking "ya know, it really wasn't that bad working for Acme Hell, LLC. If I'd just stuck it out a few more years, look at how much money I'd have right now." And, I think it might be interesting, a few years into retirement, to have reference notes to make a comparison on the person I was versus the now person. Though, I dunno - it might be a bit depressing, looking back on all the years I wasn't particularly happy with my life. Or, on a positive note, it might be good to have such an article for a ritual purge of the old life: read the past notes then toss the thing on a bonfire and do a happy dance at leaving that old person/old life behind

Old 10-14-2007, 03:17 PM

13,345 posts, read 25,596,053 times
I can't wait. I want to do some volunteer stuff that I'm too tired to do now, working 40-hour nights. I want to get out of the negative environment of my current employment.
I do worry about being lonely without the social contacts that are positive at work, but I'll worry about that later. The negative environment is far more overwhelming and draining.
Being single, I worry about being generally lonely, anyway. I do feel a bit of envy when people talk about "when WE retire." It's a whole 'nother life by oneself.
I know I will not miss whatever psychic rewards/identity I supposedly get from employment. Ain't gonna happen.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:51 AM

430 posts, read 1,153,309 times
Thumbs up It's all good.....

I just stumbled back onto this thread I started quite some time ago....just wanted to thank each and every one of you for sharing your experiences...they made a world of difference in my outlook on "retirement".

I am going to purchase a brand new, commercial serger sewing machine before I retire (and pay it off) as I have always wanted to have a "cottage" industry type business...one that if I WANT to work at it I can or not! I have planned out where my new garden will be and what I'm going to plant, designed the new stone wall for in front of the house, been researching non-profit agencies in the town we're moving into so I can do volunteer work, picked out all the new paint colors for the new house on the lake and bought myself a brand new fishing pole! Life DOESN'T end because work does....it just begins!

You all are great! Thank you for redirecting my fears into plans for my "not working" future! Honey will wish I was still working as his list is getting longer by the day!!

Ozark Nana

Old 10-29-2007, 05:48 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,433,647 times
I have considered all the things I want to when I retire and started to make a list. As a bureaucrat I am an expert list maker, tender and modifier. I have decided the making list is not what I want to do. There are a bunch of things ranging from writing a novel to working on a railroad museum. I might also open a fix it shop and handyman service as I can fix most anything. I am looking to move to a small community with a nearby college and decent health care facilities. Somewhere in central New Mexico is at the top of the list (see another list) so far.

I figure my retirement income and health care will subsidize my other interests and allow me to do things without worrying about how much money I’ll make.

Looking forward to getting out of this frustration factory.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,210,066 times
Thumbs up Retired!!!

What did it feel like to stop working?

It felt good, like Heaven!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,677 posts, read 40,039,994 times
interestingly enough... I actually got a lot more projects done around home when I was working. (and getting paid for my internet time... + it was considerably faster there...)

It can be tough to get rolling in the morning

Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,907,788 times
The first day I retired was December 1 last year. I told my dh that I wanted to see the beach, so we got in the car and drove about 2 hours to Myrtle Beach for lunch. Went on to see a beach I had never seen before, Sunset Beach, and then drove home. I felt like I had been let out of a cage and I don't want to be caught and caged again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or