U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherwayjo View Post
The worst part of retirement is that your income is cut in half and you have fewer choices in life...money equals choices. The best part is not dreading Mondays.
If your retirement cuts your income in a way that lessens your lifestyle choices; then the 'problem' was in your planning.

We planned for our retirement lifestyle, and worked toward that goal.

Yes I do have less gross income now; however this is exactly the lifestyle which we planned to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Even the most careful planning can go astray. I am living right now on a "pretend" income which is less than what I actually earn. My salary normally isn't the greatest, but I am trying make do on less so I can not only save something out of each paycheck but be prepared when I am able to cut down to part-time work. That way there will be less shock when I actually have to do it.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:51 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Even the most careful planning can go astray. I am living right now on a "pretend" income which is less than what I actually earn. My salary normally isn't the greatest, but I am trying make do on less so I can not only save something out of each paycheck but be prepared when I am able to cut down to part-time work. That way there will be less shock when I actually have to do it.
I've been doing this for the last 2 years, so I'm pretty sure my reduced income will work for me after I retire.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 AM

11,090 posts, read 12,475,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherwayjo View Post
The worst part of retirement is that your income is cut in half and you have fewer choices in life...money equals choices. The best part is not dreading Mondays.
Seriously? Wow. My income has tripled and I have more choices now than I did when I was a worker bee. I guess I planned right.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,562,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Nana View Post
Just a curious question. I will be "retiring" in March and am terrified at the thought that I won't have "somewhere to go" each morning Monday-Friday! I have worked since I was 13 years old only taking a week or so off when I had my 3 boys. I have no idea what it feels like to STOP working! I have hobbies that I have always wanted to "devote more time to" but how many hours a day can you do those without getting bored!!

Anyone care to share their experiences and what they did?

O.Nana
How did it feel??

Well, it reminds me of Fred Astaire singing, "Heaven, I'm in heaven!"

I did experience mini-panic attacks at first probaly due to having to do something , in a hurry, every day for the last 45 years.

But I got over it!

I have a zillion little projects to do and the feeling of being able to do them, on my own schedule is absolutely heady....I can even ignore them and not feel badly about it..

Bored? Yup, for a minute or two and then I practice the Joy of Doing Nothing.
Of gardening slowly....and then having time to just look at it.

Of welcoming unexpected "drop in" friends and relatives. And accepting spur of the moment invitations.

Spending as much time as I want at the library.

Eating slowly.

Forgetting things ....and not caring.

Going to bed when I'm tired and getting up when I'm not.

Sunrise.

Remember the little things and remember , practice makes perfect

If you're really bored...volunteer, visit older folks in nursing homes and listen to them, we will be them someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or