Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:11 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

It felt GREAT! No more going into meth labs, no more fighting, no more carrying a gun everyplace I go. I retired July 1 at 58, with a very good state package. I've slept better than I have in years, have NO stress, and do what I want to do, not what some supervisor is telling me to do, or some clown in Little Rock. I downsized, sold my home and furniture and am renting a nice size apartment in another state. I'm spending time with family, making new friends and exploring. My blood pressure dropped about a thousand points too! I also enjoy sending text messages to my old "worker bees" wishing them well while I'm having a two hour lunch drinking a Corona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 10:07 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,347,608 times

I went from a 25 year full-time corporate job to being
self-employed part-time.

The first couple of weeks I paced the floor... literally.

But it didn't take long to settle into my new lifestyle.

Now my days are filled with self-generated, self-fulfilling
activity and I couldn't be happier.

How I found time to work for someone else 9 hours a day
five days a week amazes me. I could never go back to that.

Only when you are truly free do you truly understand slavery.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 AM

175 posts, read 468,282 times
I went from being a Hobo to....well, being a Hobo. I love it!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Albert Camus said." Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better."

It's also a chance to arise when one wants, eat, sleep and play whenever the spirit moves, to wear jeans and a t-shirt all day every day, go for walks, volunteer at the nearest animal shelter, join a drama group, volunteer some more, watch TV, read a book or just sit and watch the grass grow.

Being able to semi-retire and knowing I have the freedom to move the freely about the planet on the days I don't have to follow someone else's schedule is the best freedom for me.

Besides I have been working every since I can remember. I'm tired!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
I don't miss working at all. It was so good to let go of all of that stress. I have stayed in touch with some of my ex-coworkers, and each time I hear from them I am more and more thankful that I was able to go when I did. I didn't always hate my job, but over the last couple of years it really started to get to me. I am so much more content with my life now.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
For about a month is was like being onb vaction and you expect it to end. especally on sundays evenig ;you felt like you had to get upon mopnday to go. Then it fades away and you start planning other things. It also feels funny that you can pick the best times to shop and you do not have to hurry as much because its not eating into your free time. Makes many task alot more enjoyable.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,480 times
The worst part of retirement is that your income is cut in half and you have fewer choices in life...money equals choices. The best part is not dreading Mondays.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
You mean you personally;not everyone.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:27 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherwayjo View Post
The worst part of retirement is that your income is cut in half and you have fewer choices in life...money equals choices. The best part is not dreading Mondays.

If that is the case the problem isn't retirement ~ its lack of planning for retirement on your part!!! The amount of money I have in retirement is a little over 150% of the highest wage I ever made!! Just takes proper planning and a little less" well, I think I might as well do it now~ I may not live long enough to retire!"

Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
If that is the case the problem isn't retirement ~ its lack of planning for retirement on your part!!! The amount of money I have in retirement is a little over 150% of the highest wage I ever made!! Just takes proper planning and a little less" well, I think I might as well do it now~ I may not live long enough to retire!"
Not necessarily lack of planning...just different planning. I also retired on less income than when I was working, but I planned for this, so for me it's not a hardship. I am perfectly happy living a little more frugally in order to leave the stress of my job behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement