U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM

12,209 posts, read 6,942,598 times

Advertisements

We have quit our jobs, are moving 3000 miles from our longtime home and are changing everything about our life. We are so scared when we thought retirement would be a wonderful time in our lives.

I would appreciate so much some perspective, please. Is what we are feeling normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
We have quit our jobs, are moving 3000 miles from our longtime home and are changing everything about our life. We are so scared when we thought retirement would be a wonderful time in our lives.

I would appreciate so much so some perspective, please.
My perspective, though I'm not doing what you're doing, is that we go around once. There is no such thing as a mistake. You make your choice and go with it and be brave. That means, standing up for your decision even though you may have doubts. Fortunately, you are together as a couple, and two heads are always better than one! Stick close together, share your thoughts and ideas, and it should be pretty cool. You may be in shock with the sudden retirement, so be aware that some of your feelings come from that. I love the phrase "and are changing everything about our life."

Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:

I would appreciate so much some perspective, please. Is what we are feeling normal?
Dunno! Certainly not how we felt. Couldn't wait to retire and move, although only 2,000 miles. Haven't had a moment of regret yet and it's been 3-4 years. A whole bunch changed for us as well and that's what's made it an adventure and a very pleasasnt one indeed. Relax and enjoy the experience.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Thank you for kind words, newenglandgirl. I sincerely appreciate them.

So glad you made an easy transition, Curmudgeon.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:28 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,441,975 times
Welcome to the club. We quit, moved 1300 miles, did not know a soul, changed everything. The mental hump (being scared etc.) though we had already gone over before putting it in motion. The rest was following the plan. At one point we had 3 places, old house-new house-apartment and that was quite the hair raiser. When the dust settled I remember just walking the dog one day and realizing this was actually happening and it was a great feeling. Did not take long to realize it was a good move.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:42 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
So glad you made an easy transition, Curmudgeon.
You can too. Just believe it and make it happen. Getting there is half the fun.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,902,275 times
Moving to a new part of the country is a major change. Leaving a job is a major change. Depending on savings rather than a paycheck is a major change. Spending more time with a spouse is a major change. That's a lot of major changes you have going on--it makes sense to me that it might feel a bit scary.

Plus, the media doesn't help by printing all these scare stories about how hard it is to retire. I tell ya, I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the overly dramatic way reporters write stories these days. Back when I was a reporter I was taught that was very bad journalism but I guess times have changed and they've gotta do that to sell papers now. I hate it, though. Overly dramatic writing is not helpful or healthy, IMO.

Back to the OP's post.... it's all new, and that's part of why it's scary, too. I bet once a little time has passed the fear will subside.

ps. If you happen to be the perfectionist type, I think if you can let go of the desire to have a perfect retirement, it helps a lot.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you happen to be the perfectionist type, I think if you can let go of the desire to have a perfect retirement, it helps a lot.
I agree with that. Whenever we set ourselves up to believe some future event or future time period is going to be pure bliss - like heaven on earth - we are setting ourselves up for some disappointment. Life always has some problems to solve, some difficulties, some things that do not go entirely our way. Advertisements about retirement implant the false idea of pure bliss: professional models sporting perfect, silver hair shot by professional photographers are the very picture of total contentment, just radiant as they hug each other or hold hands on the beautiful veranda of some beautiful perfect home in an idyllic, sun-drenched setting.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:56 PM

5,215 posts, read 3,630,568 times
If this move don't work, do it again. The second time is less scary, I know.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Moving to a new part of the country is a major change. Leaving a job is a major change. Depending on savings rather than a paycheck is a major change. Spending more time with a spouse is a major change. That's a lot of major changes you have going on--it makes sense to me that it might feel a bit scary.
A bit scary? LOL.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-19-2012 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or