Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times

Advertisements

The way I would have reacted to being alone at 37 with hormones, income, ego, children to raise, etc. playing major roles versus at 67 with none of them playing a major role, could easily change ones (and did my) points of view......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
Le Petit Prince: "On est seul dans le désert."
Le serpent: "On est seul aussi chez les hommes."

[The Little Prince: "It's lonely in the desert."
The snake: "It's lonely among people too."]

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why do you think you have to entertain each other?

Not that I'm promoting divorce/singleness over marriage but within a year after I separated at 37 and eventually got divorced I couldn't imagine ever living with anyone again (that goes for a roommate, too). On the other hand, I know serial marriers, that is, they don't let any grass grow under their feet before they are on to the next guy and keep repeating the pattern until they think they get it right. (Is it really that hard to bring your car in for service, set up your home computer by yourself or mow the lawn? --- kidding ) To each his own. The way I see it marriage is a series of compromises meaning neither one of you ever do what you really want to do, when you do agree on something it's diluted or at best you only do what you want to do half the time...sort of like Congress.

Scenario:

You and the spouse decide you want to go to the movies:

He wants to see the latest horror movie, you want to see the latest comedy. Do you:

1. Each go to the movies by yourselves and see the movies you really want to see?
2. Compromise and go together to see a different movie that wasn't the first choice for either one of you so in effect neither one of you are seeing what you want to see?
3. One of you always yields to the other to keep the peace besides, their movie choice can't be that awful and it's only 2 hours out of your life if it's not a James Cameron or Peter Jackson movie.
4. You alternate so both of you only see what you want to see half the time.
5. You accept a bribe of dinner out after the movie if you go see the spouse's choice?
6. You both stay home or do something else. One or both of you might even sulk.

I'll bet you married retirees never do Number 1, above.
I think perhaps you never where really marriage material if thsi is important to you i a partnership.Movie choice?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think perhaps you never where really marriage material if thsi is important to you i a partnership.Movie choice?
I don't think that's what she meant...that a movie choice was so "important". She was just using that as an example of what 'compromise' might be. Doesn't have anything to do with being "marriage material" at all. Perhaps you could think of a different/better example??

Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,988 times
I have been alone for about a dozen years and just recently retired and relocated. It has been quite a metamorphosis. I feel more lonely now than I did when I was working. Sometimes I think I could remarry or develope some kind of relationship with a women again. Then I get cowardice about the whole thing.
Other than that, I enjoy my independence immensely. When I desire the touch of a women, I go get a message.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:46 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,662,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall2010 View Post
I have been alone for about a dozen years and just recently retired and relocated. It has been quite a metamorphosis. I feel more lonely now than I did when I was working. Sometimes I think I could remarry or develope some kind of relationship with a women again. Then I get cowardice about the whole thing.
Other than that, I enjoy my independence immensely. When I desire the touch of a women, I go get a message.

Happy ending massage?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
The answer to this question is, "it depends." Some couples can barely stand each other. Trying to keep the other happy would probably be a big burden. Others love each other and enjoy making the other happy, so its no burden at all. No general rule, it just depends.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 840 times
Retirement has been a time of going back to who I was before the marriage, children and career. I love being able to indulge in what I enjoy instead of being the people pleaser. Fortunately husband understands this. We had a long talk before we retired and it was understood we were both retired. It is still a strain to be responsible for someone else but......I made that commitment years ago. Meanwhile, I am planning my next road trip.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Do you think it is more difficult to keep you and your spouse happy together (or to keep just your spouse happy) in retirement than it would be to keep just yourself happy in retirement if you are single or if you were single and not married?
If Happily married before retirement starts, what changes? If not happily married perhaps retirement offers the opportunity to reconnect. Is there a school of thought that retirement can get better after your spouse passes?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:16 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Happy ending massage?
Happy Ending Message saying come back again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement