Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Not being able to discuss Medicare in a Retirement forum is antithetical to common sense.
We have, in another forum, butted heads (to put it mildly) and yet here in this thread I find us in total agreement. This feels better.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I agree with this. An oxymoron. Who but retirees utilize Medicare (other than the disabled Medicaid in conjunction w/Medicare)? 99% of the discussion on these threads is generated by people about to retire needing to know more. Employer retirement health insurance is often an important component.

Still think Medicare is a retirement issue - period.
Medicare and retirement have no connection other than generally occurrring at about the same age. But here are people, generally government employees, who retire years before they're eligible for Medicare. On the other hand there are many of us who have been on Medicare for years but haven't retired. The existence of Medicare has made it very expensive for individuals to retain private health insurance. But people in groups may not neeed Medicare, except perhaps as secondary insurance, for years.

I read the Retirement forum not because I'm planning to retire but because of topics related to my age. These need not be terrible topics inspiring fear and horror although those have their place. Most of the threas I enjoy are pleasant and often amusing. I find the phenomenon of the age restricted community to be fascinating. It's as if people are able to become honest about their true feelings after they reach a certain age. But it's a lot more. In the course of reading Leisureville, a book I discovered on this forum, I learned that forty percent of the residents of Sun City are employed. That made me feel good. I also absorbed the fact that not playing golf makes me one odd duck. I've never played golf or had any interest in it. But the fact that so many people are real enthusiasts here has nothing to do with retirement. Most of the people here on cars as well but so plenty of other people. I must say that I can't see myself in a planned community of any sort but I can now understand why so many people do like them.

There was a thread here about losing a spouse. I felt comfortable writing about my late wife because there were many others who had suffered the same thing. There are a number of people here whom I feel like I know well enough to unburden myself. But I can't see my self doing this on a general grief forum. Nor can I see myself browsing that forum. Of all of the new fora that's the least attractive to me. If I lose a pet I want to be in the company of those who know what I'm feeling. It's the same with my wife. How many people on the most of the c-d fora can even imagine being married to someone for forty years? It doesn't make younger people bad; but it does make them different from us.

If I could share grief and the other problems of life with primarily people of my age I'd be willing to keep my mouth shut on the rest. I could move to what I'm really interested in exploring which is why is there so much emphasis on golf.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,451,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Searched the thread for the word Medicare. It was suggested by a Moderator because "547 threads with the term Medicare in the subject line, and 201 threads with the term Medicaid in the subject line."
Well, then, Medicare should have its own subforum under Retirement which thought has occurred to me often because of the sheer numbers of threads on we've had Medicare. Many of these threads get far afield of health insurance, usually veering into the solvency of the system itself which will affect ALL retirees. Medicare is a retirement issue on a level deeper than just Health Insurance.

So, that begs the question. Where do we post on the solvency of Medicare? Here - or under Health Insurance? Certainly not P&C - a very uncivil forum, generally.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I just checked the Administrator's Thread over there ( Suggest new general forums ) because my memory is not what it used to be.

Searched the thread for the word Medicare. It was suggested by a Moderator because "547 threads with the term Medicare in the subject line, and 201 threads with the term Medicaid in the subject line."

Ariadne22 said:
Wholeheartedly agree.
Wait.... This change was made upon the suggestion made by a single moderator?

Well that blows all the high falutin logic all to Hell, doesn't it?

I, for one, don't bother to follow all the new forums. Too much hassle to track everything down. As mentioned here and in a couple of other conversations on CD the changes supposedly come from the posters.

As can be easily observed the changes in the Science forum have brought new threads and posts to a grinding halt.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,451,817 times
I think we need a poll. I'm guessing the vote will be a substantial majority FOR keeping Medicare right here, in Retirement, where it belongs.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 PM

From what I understand it's too late. Once it's been moved, it's over.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wait.... This change was made upon the suggestion made by a single moderator?

Well that blows all the high falutin logic all to Hell, doesn't it?

I, for one, don't bother to follow all the new forums. Too much hassle to track everything down. As mentioned here and in a couple of other conversations on CD the changes supposedly come from the posters.

As can be easily observed the changes in the Science forum have brought new threads and posts to a grinding halt.
Two or three people commented on it after the moderator (moderators are members/posters of CD too, right?). I'm not gonna go back and look again because I've been drinking wine and I don't feel like it, LOL. The thread is probably 120 to 150 posts total ...

The suggestion was made, and the Administrator makes the decisions.

Moderator Sam I Am is gonna be busy for the next few weeks moving threads when we don't behave and post in the wrong place

Last edited by Gandalara; 06-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: shilly shpelling :-)

Old 06-24-2012, 04:19 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Over the time I've been here,somebody has asked for a separate forum for every little niche interest and few new forums or sub-forums have been added(a decision I agree with )
Suddenly, all sorts of fracturing has taken place!

I have interest in many subjects and have been checking out most of these new ones and generally see very little activity.(To me, even 3 or 6 new posts a day is not activity)
Ah well, it's not my site, but I have found myself spending less inclined to visit all these new sub-forums every day.
Getting too lazy in my old age for all that mouse work

Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
While I totally appreciate the comments - well, it probably needs to be in a thread over in About the Forum. That's the appropriate spot for complaints, compliments, suggestions, etc.

The decision is made to have a subforum and that's what we have, so let's just work with what we have.

Please do utilize the Subscribed Forums feature at the top of the page - after clicking that, please see at the top of the page in the blue bar CUSTOMIZE. If you mouse over that, it will turn yellow - click, and you can subscribe with one click to any forum that interests you. It makes it a little easier to see at a glance what is new on the topics you are interested in.

As far as me clicking and moving - well, yeah, I could do that - or I could rely on all of you to post in the appropriate area, stay on topic, and make my life easier. And it's all about me, no? HAHAHA!

Thanks for your comments - but we'll lock the thread now since it is what it is and go forward. Thank you each and every one for your posts and your continued widespread participation on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement