Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
just wondering if anyone has plans for the fourth of july. low-key, just relaxing, travel, family, beach, neighborhood get-together. etc ?
my town has an "old fashioned parade" celebrating community in the morning, which begins not too far from where i live. at dusk there are fireworks in the park adjacent to my neighborhood. we often watch them from the back porch. low-key and patriotic!

catsy girl

I am retired. Every day is a holiday......LOL

We will watch the 4th celebrations on tv but the good news is we have seen them live in Boston, Chicago, and DC.

Fireworks also legal for personal use here in SC so there will be light and noise all over. It actually started last night in a neighborhood across the pond in my back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
just wondering if anyone has plans for the fourth of july. low-key, just relaxing, travel, family, beach, neighborhood get-together. etc ?
my town has an "old fashioned parade" celebrating community in the morning, which begins not too far from where i live. at dusk there are fireworks in the park adjacent to my neighborhood. we often watch them from the back porch. low-key and patriotic!

catsy girl
I have to work that day but will be home before the fireworks start. They have them at the fairgrounds about six blocks from my house and we have a perfect view!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
None whatsoever. On Monday I took my wife to the emergency room of our local hospital and they admitted her. After x-rays and an MRI they did some procedures and Thursday night transferred her to a larger hospital 45 miles away (65 from our home). Friday morning she had surgery and she'll be there at least until Monday, perhaps later.

Kinda rules out any 4th of July celebrations. I need to talk to her about that. Lousy timing!

If she's home we can watch some of the fireworks on the lake from our front deck.
Well, that's a bummer! Hope all goes well and she has a quick recovery!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Nothing different than usual. I live in Europe now and, therefore, American holidays are meaningless.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
They have yet to outlaw fireworks here - and many of us are stompin' mad about it.

There are active fires in the state (Utah)...we're not as bad as Colorado - but that could change - in a heartbeat.

I think it's more patriotic to save lives and property than uphold traditions that seem rather ridiculous at the moment.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:10 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
They have yet to outlaw fireworks here - and many of us are stompin' mad about it.

There are active fires in the state (Utah)...we're not as bad as Colorado - but that could change - in a heartbeat.

I think it's more patriotic to save lives and property than uphold traditions that seem rather ridiculous at the moment.
I agree! Here in southern NM, we have a county burn ban but no ban on fireworks. The inconsiderate morons will be out in full force so I am heaving irrigating my property trying to keep it damp and I'll be awake late, keeping an eye on the huge, very dry, lateral runoff ditch that borders my property. Scarry. Oh yeah, did I mention having to tranquilize my dogs?

Well, at least during the day I'll have a friend over to swim/eat/smoke cigars and enjoy a grande conversation with.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I hope she's feeling better and on her way to recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Best wishes for your DW and her recovery. It's good you're home to hold down the fort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Best of wishes to you both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well, that's a bummer! Hope all goes well and she has a quick recovery!
Thanks all. They made me take her back home this morning so it looks like I'm stuck with her.

Glad to have her back and while still sore, she's feeling a whole lot better. She's also happy to be home and the house beasts (cats) are happy too.

On the 4th we'll be watching our little community "parade" from the comfort of our front deck then fireworks over the lake in the evening.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Thanks all. They made me take her back home this morning so it looks like I'm stuck with her.

Glad to have her back and while still sore, she's feeling a whole lot better. She's also happy to be home and the house beasts (cats) are happy too.

On the 4th we'll be watching our little community "parade" from the comfort of our front deck then fireworks over the lake in the evening.

Good to hear she's feeling better and you two will be spending the time together.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Working.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Working.

Work...the curse of the drinking class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement