U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sticky for informative posts
Keep the forum the way it is. 29 50.00%
Unstick Women Moving Alone and replace with other general information posts for retirees 29 50.00%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2012, 05:53 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,317,826 times

Advertisements

Folks, we already have 2 stickies in this forum, which is about all Admin will allow. One is on Women Moving in Retirement and the other is on the Medicare/Insurance forum and has to stay.

I've noticed there is mention in a few posts of saving some of the better informative or instruction posts in a sticky thread and I can create that with my magic fingers - but the Women Moving thread will have to go. Also, it will need to be a closed thread that only a mod can add to or we could end up with a ton of posts with conflicting ideas.

Please weigh in and we'll go with the popular vote. If, in the future, there IS a thread for informative posts you can always DM me and ask that it be added to that thread.

Whaddya say?

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 AM

19,778 posts, read 19,880,941 times
How long does the sticky for the insurance forum have to stay?
There is aready a reminder/link at the top of the page above the announcements.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 AM

I guess that would depend on whether everyone felt they'd made the switch satisfactorily! The older posters know where to go - not so much the new ones, and there is the announcement - I'm willing to move threads that need to be if the poll shows that's the sticky to be sacrificed. I think Admin would agree after this amount of time and the additional note at the top of the forum.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
I can't seem to vote. It would seem a huge loss for many of us for the "Women Retiring Alone" thread to not be there. It has created a huge sense of community for many of us.

On the other hand, as a retiree I am wanting information that pertains to being a senior. I do still have confusion with/exception to the concepts of "retirement" and "senior" being put together, but I won't go further on that here.

What, according to the Admin, deserves to be a sticky? How did "Women Retiring Alone" become one, was it requested by the OP? Or was it judged worthy enough to be one?

What would be the logical threads to make into stickies, in your opinion?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Don't know why you can't vote unless maybe you need to delete cookies or refresh your browser.

Wisteria used to be a mod - I don't know if she's the one who "stickied" that since it got so many posts - the thread was created in 2007, so there's some argument for keeping it the way it is. However, the Chat Thread also provides a sense of community and isn't, so I can't really explain :-;

Admin has just instructed that there be no more than 2 stickies for each forum. In State forums, these are usually photography stickies or notes from the moderator on whatever subject, or redirects. In the General forums it's more a will of the people type thing as long as it's reasonable.

There was a post within the last couple of days on what to look for in apartments; there was another one just mentioned in the last day or so that suggested the post go in a sticky but I've forgotten due to old age.

Sometimes we get a post that is just superlative, that encompasses a lot of what people want to know or boils it down to the bare tacks.

Just brainstorming here - just a poll doesn't mean it will happen, it is just a thought I had while reading through this morning.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 AM

8,183 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Please weigh in and we'll go with the popular vote... Whaddya say?
I have no idea why that was made a sticky to begin with. It makes no sense to me that that one lone random subject should always be at the top of the page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It would seem a huge loss for many of us for the "Women Retiring Alone" thread to not be there. It has created a huge sense of community for many of us.
How would it be a loss? All you (or anyone for that matter) would need to do to keep it at the top of the page is to post in it. And if it doesn't garner enough activity to keep it there on its own merits, then it really validates the position that it shouldn't be a sticky anyway.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:43 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
When was Wisteria a mod? I think NancytheReader made it a sticky.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 AM

833 posts, read 1,471,004 times
I voted for the change.

I'm guessing that women moving alone are a small percentage of people re-locating, whereas everyone can benefit from Laura's list.

(I believe, Laura re-located alone )

Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
Wisteria did not add the sticky.

I found C-D through the "women retiring alone" sticky. I can't remember the key words, but I do remember my google search took me directly to the women retiring alone thread, where I then discovered the C-D forum.

I would be deeply disappointed if the thread loses its sticky. Even though I do not post on the thread frequently, I certainly read the thread to check in with "old friends" and to learn about the new posters. Rather than look at the number of postings, I would hope that the admin would look at the number of times the thread was read. Aren't the number of clicks the measurement valued by the advertisers? Would C-D really want to screw around with that?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM

34,670 posts, read 33,671,635 times
When threads are really long in any forum, I don't read them. The sticky threads in any forum are usually a lot of pages. I would rather see a sticky in every forum on C-D instructing people how to do an advanced search by key phrases and/or user names so they can find the posts/threads they want when they need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or