Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
t
As for the heat, yes, everyone should be aware that the heat can affect all of us, especially seniors with or without serious health problems. My daughter mentioned to me the onther day, she had noticed how much more I complained about heat in the past few years compared to 10 or 20 years ago. I never evne thought about it, but she is right.
Perhaps one reason why the elderly are more affected by the heat is that in general they are less prone to do enough physical activity to sweat. I know in other countries without much or any air conditioning, people deliberately do activity in high temps to sweat, and then their bodies cool. Also, they may not be drinking enough fluids. I read somewhere that drinking sugar/sweetened drinks makes you feel hotter. Though there is that marvelous Southern tradition of drinking sweet tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Perhaps one reason why the elderly are more affected by the heat is that in general they are less prone to do enough physical activity to sweat. I know in other countries without much or any air conditioning, people deliberately do activity in high temps to sweat, and then their bodies cool. Also, they may not be drinking enough fluids. I read somewhere that drinking sugar/sweetened drinks makes you feel hotter. Though there is that marvelous Southern tradition of drinking sweet tea.
Agree, please encourage them to drink plenty of water.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
I researched this a few years ago when I was having symptoms consistent with dehydration, but didn't know the symptoms were a result of dehydration.

I learned that the elderly are more sensitive to both cold and heat because they have less fat than younger people. The sensitivity to cold is obvious: less fat to warm the body. The sensitivity to heat was less obvious: fat "stores" fluids. The senior elders (as defined by Robyn) need more water and are less likely to remember to drink additional fluids. Insufficient hydration increases memory loss and confusion causing the dehydration and effect on the body to accelerate. IOW, a vicious cycle. Early on, the elderly DO feel o.k., relative to the younger seniors. Most of us young'uns still have enough fat on us that we are really uncomfortable with high heat & humidity. We sweat and the sweat helps to lower our body temperature. Senior elders do not sweat as much. The senior elders do not feel this discomfort and this is when it can become dangerous.

This is why I told my 86 year old father if he touched the dial on the window A/C I was calling the Department of Social Services and they would remove him from his home. I stressed to him the need to drink lots of water and I set the A/C at 78 degrees. Thankfully he has not touched the A/C.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This is why I told my 86 year old father if he touched the dial on the window A/C I was calling the Department of Social Services and they would remove him from his home. I stressed to him the need to drink lots of water and I set the A/C at 78 degrees. Thankfully he has not touched the A/C.
Very wise. I believe in (good) adult children taking the upper hand.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Are you in the mountains or in a valley? What level of humidity?
I know you didn't ask me these questions but I'll answer anyway...

I live in a valley and our temps have hovered right around 100 degrees the last few weeks, at least. From 95-105. We are lucky that they drop about 30 degrees overnight and I only use my cooler between noon and, maybe, 8 PM. Right now our outdoor temp is around 73 and the humidity is 33% with a 20% chance of rain. Which means nothing. It will be cloudy though which really helps to keep the body more comfortable than searing sun. I do have ceiling fans in the LR and BR and a box fan at the foot of the bed, in case I need it. I also have all the windows open all night. It's comfortable.

They keep promising rain but so far nothing. I can smell it though and it gets frustrating to know it's so near and yet so far away! Next weekend I'm going to the southern part of the state and will likely get flooded out! lol They seem to get a lot more 'good' storms than we do up here. My garden could sure use the good ol' rain water.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 AM

As I check out temps today around the nation, and as I can see age 70 in my line of vision, and as I cannot tolerate wilting temperatures with the possibility of power outages, I am permanently crossing out many places on my fantasy move list. I'll just settle for the colder winters with my little wood stove. Even if the power goes out, I won't freeze. This new decision probably means I'll have to live Northeast (and possibly more Northeast) till I die. OK, call me a wuss.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Another hazard in this heat is dehydration. The elderly tend to lose their sense of thirst, and in hot weather can get dehydrated and die. Try to get them to drink water. But overheating is certainly a problem. Heat kills many more people than cold.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I am still fully competent and if you tried to make me exist in an artificial 78 degree house during a nice summer day , I'd break your fingers

Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
As I check out temps today around the nation, and as I can see age 70 in my line of vision, and as I cannot tolerate wilting temperatures with the possibility of power outages, I am permanently crossing out many places on my fantasy move list. I'll just settle for the colder winters with my little wood stove. Even if the power goes out, I won't freeze. This new decision probably means I'll have to live Northeast (and possibly more Northeast) till I die. OK, call me a wuss.
not a wuss: you are willing to live in the part of the nation with very cold winters, some of us do the opposite and for those who are lucky (a few around here) they can afford both. Many here go to MN or WI for the summers, returning here after labor day. There are others that don't mind the summers, but want nice winters so they head for AZ or places like So Padre Islnand, Tx for part of the winter. For us, the hot summers are barable only because they are not every year and we prefer the slightly milder winters. This is why there are so many choices, what works for one may not for another. New England is beautiful regardless.

Just checked our weather: right now, just past 9am it is 88.4 degrees and a heat index of 94. We did get a few drops of rain earlier and should get more tomorrow, maybe even this afternoon.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Coconut water is wonderful for dehydration. It is also good if you get headaches from heat and humidity. It has many of he benefits of Gatorade without the sugar and sodium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement