Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I like the brown. It doesn't detract from the muted beauty of the desert or the surrounding mountains. The beautiful sunsets and the clear blue skies with big puffy white clouds provide all the color I need. Don't know if the below will open but I consider it hideous.

Splashy Saguaro Hotel Colors Reflect Desert Wildflowers - Desert Guide - February 2013 - Palm Springs, California

See pictures at bottom of article on "splashy" hotel.
Hmmm. That looks like Howard Johnson's in drag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:49 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What do you think about Palm Springs, CA as a place to live?
I have some friends (gay couple) who live there. They are in their mid to late 50s. They love it. But they also have a 1BR condo in Maui where they go for 8 weeks in summer. It is unbearably hot in summer there, The average July high is 109. Lows in summer often don't get below 80. 4 months of the year, the weather there is hellish. The other 8 months the heat is tolerable or it is downright amazingly beautiful

Palm Springs is the gay capital of the area, but there are plenty of neighboring cities that are not all that gay oriented.

I like visiting, but it has a very suburban, "drive everywhere" type of suburban layout (which I see as a negative, but other people might like). There are lots of fun things to do. The cost of living isn't exactly cheap, but is reasonable by California standards. Also, San Diego is only 3 hours away if you want to escape to cooler weather. L.A. is even closer.

I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has to work for a living. But it's great for retired people who like suburban living and who don't mind (or have a means to escape) the heat.

Also, keep in mind it is in a major earthquake zone and Southern California is overdue for a major earthquake of 7.0 or greater.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Average high in July is probably 105
Average low in July is probably 70
Actually, those numbers are too low.

Average July high/low for Palm Springs is 108/75 and I think even those figures are low compared to recent years.

Now that the area is getting built up, they are seeing more of an urban heat island effect where it doesn't cool off as much at night. I wish desert communities would get serious about trying to mitigate this, as the heat island effect is very strong in deserts. It doesn't even seem to be on their radar, unfortunately.

PALM SPRINGS, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
In Southern California, Palm Springs is in what is commonly called the "low desert". That's because it's elevation is right at sea level. Yeah, it is bloody hot in the summer. The annual professional tennis tournament held every March is a hit-or-miss with the weather. It could be extremely hot, or very pleasant, light sweater weather.

I live in what is called the "high desert". We're at about 2,500-3,000 feet above mean sea level. The Antelope Valley part of the Mojave Desert, (which is a part of the much larger Sonoran Desert). Since I like doing stuff outside, especially on my free days, I don't care much for rain. The desert is the perfect place for me. Sure, I miss the green. The mountains are not far away, in any direction. I love the low humidity. We do get snow every few years and it rarely sticks around for more than a few days.

I enjoy the arid steppe climate so much that I will be retiring in an area with that climate. High East-coast humidity would kill me in short order.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara
Average high in July is probably 105
Average low in July is probably 70
Actually, those numbers are too low.
YMMV. Which is why I wrote probably.

I was using the numbers from my front porch thermometer. Not that far from Palm Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement