U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 PM

6,937 posts, read 3,325,359 times
Default A very ndifferent retirement option

Amongst the variety of retirement options I'm considering is RVing. Full-time for 10 years is what I've principally been considering. My research on this lifestyle takes me to various RV-specific blogs and web forums. This evening, when reading one such website I came across a story about an assisted living environment for people who are still living in their RVs. I hadn't heard about this before. Here's a link to the story:

End of the Road: Assisted-living RV Park - Woodall's Campgrounds, RV Blog and Family Camping Blog : Woodall's Campgrounds, RV Blog and Family Camping Blog

Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 AM

10,912 posts, read 17,999,513 times
I have researched this before, but oh how sweet it is !!! THANK GOODNESS (I have several friends who are Escapee staff / educators / volunteers)

""For a monthly fee of $824 per person, or $1,236 a couple, residents get a spot to park their homes-on-wheels; three meals a day, every day; two loads of laundry service a week; light housekeeping of their unit; transportation to medical appointments; and access to registered nurses on call 40 hours a week.""

I recently had to put a couple in Independent Living, and they pay $3800/ month with 2 meals / day (one MUST be breakfast... i.e. CHEAP for care center) PAY laundry, no housekeeping, no transportation, no nurses on staff... (This is the NORM!!! So sad) (And to think I had to GIVE AWAY their Motohome...)

Most RV's are NOT too conducive to elder issues. This gives me an idea Off to the drawing board, and later the workshop Maybe you will soon see my new versions of Handicap and Elderly Friendly RV's

Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,902,660 times
SR, you've intrigued me! I can't wait to see your plans. Before this topic came up, I would not have put those two concepts together, but you may be onto something.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 AM

18,959 posts, read 15,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have researched this before, but oh how sweet it is !!! THANK GOODNESS (I have several friends who are Escapee staff / educators / volunteers)

""For a monthly fee of $824 per person, or $1,236 a couple, residents get a spot to park their homes-on-wheels; three meals a day, every day; two loads of laundry service a week; light housekeeping of their unit; transportation to medical appointments; and access to registered nurses on call 40 hours a week.""

I recently had to put a couple in Independent Living, and they pay $3800/ month with 2 meals / day (one MUST be breakfast... i.e. CHEAP for care center) PAY laundry, no housekeeping, no transportation, no nurses on staff... (This is the NORM!!! So sad) (And to think I had to GIVE AWAY their Motohome...)

Most RV's are NOT too conducive to elder issues. This gives me an idea Off to the drawing board, and later the workshop Maybe you will soon see my new versions of Handicap and Elderly Friendly RV's
Just don't forget the elevator to the second story!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 AM

8,477 posts, read 10,566,795 times
I wondered about RV folks and what happens when you can no longer drive those big things safely anymore. This is fantastic as an option and seems far more affordable than some assisted living centers. I wonder if they have a "memory care" section where they just rope it off, lol.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,902,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I wondered about RV folks and what happens when you can no longer drive those big things safely anymore. This is fantastic as an option and seems far more affordable than some assisted living centers. I wonder if they have a "memory care" section where they just rope it off, lol.
That's my reaction too, especially with the part I bolded above. Sad but true, we'll soon have a high number of people who will need assisted living but won't be able to afford what's available now. If some of those larger RV senior communities out in the desert had something like this it would be quite a boon. Maybe it wouldn't be deluxe, but it would be a lot better than having nothing.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Actually they do have a short-term 'respite' center staffed by volunteers and paid crew. I would suspect they will be adding this longer-term option, as I think they have space to do so. Since I'm Danish heritage (communal housing) AND a co-op Developer I actually like the idea of volunteer / low cost solutions. This won't work for all, but it is my quest in retirement to experiment and prove affordable living solutions for aging friends and self.

My B-i-l has built several memory care units in various states. They get them up and running and sell to a 'management company' (Of cousre that makes it no longer affordable). My family (uncles, aunts, Grandma) were in a (farm) COMMUNITY OWNED and OPERATED care center funded by 'trusts' from the community. It was very good compared to the commercial options and MUCH less expensive. The level of care was superb. The setting, very nice (in the middle of a corn field on a hill overlooking a pond and the town) Thus the elderly confined to their wheel chairs could look out over the 'farms and village' + watch the bird migrations and the kids ice skating.

Unfortunately we all have the potential to need care, tho we may HOPE to peacefully conk out in our sleep.

I end up caring for many couples / singles whose kids can not deal with 'Generational Reality'.

Fair warning.... It is REAL.

I think this RV solution is a dandy option for SOME. (BTW: my mother and many others use their '18-20 mpg Rialta motorhome' for wheel chair transport AND handicap camping... Winnebago quit making them in 2005, but fortunately I already have one ) Too small for 2 to live in, but would be fine for ONE. I will focus on making / modifying some economical and well sealed / insulated bumper pull trailers w/ 2 Entrances for Elderly living. It will compliment my planned 'senior cottage community' and offer an option for the RV inclined.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM

569 posts, read 617,227 times
Quote:
"roping off an area....." - I think that would work ! I used an Invisible Fence for my wayward puppy dog - they swear it isn't real painful/just a little zap......the collars could easily be adapted to a people neck.....

well, it's a thought - LOL...............

Stealth, work on the RV design and I'll be designing fashionable collars....

Old 07-11-2012, 03:15 PM

6,937 posts, read 3,325,359 times
Well, I suppose there's always the possibility of altering the radio-controlled pet collars which establish a perimiter beyond which the pet cannot go without being reminded of the boundary ... for human use. Just the thought of something like that for wayward seniors brings a smile to my face ... in a macabre sort of way.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Well, I suppose there's always the possibility of altering the radio-controlled pet collars which establish a perimiter beyond ....
We can start with a Beep (for those of us that can still hear). For SOME it might take a HUGE battery pack to get the point across via shock.

Maybe we can do something with MAGNETS That will just 'lead them home'. We would want to be sure the spouse could not alter the magnetic field to REPEL them

Seems we need to get a clue from the milk cows who faithfully (painfully?) come back home every 12 hrs...)

I have been on a few searches for misguided seniors... it is no fun, and results are often fatal. Maybe we can improve the chances for some.

I will recommend sending them to TX for RV care. I find it VERY hard to get lost in my RV, but I do LOSE a lot of things in there.. too many cubby holes. (Beats searching Casa Grande (my current home))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement