U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,647 posts, read 40,010,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I've heard that Dayton, Washington, near Walla Walla, is a really nice community. I've never had the pleasure of visiting the PNW.
Dayton... previous home of Jolly Green Giant (now Nafta / Outsourced). It is nice but pretty far from everything (especially the beach, but BIG river nearby). It is in rolling hills (wheat fields / no trees). There is forest about 10 miles south.

another really cute town between Walla Walla and Dayton is Waitsburg. Spectacular older homes and main street.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Waitsburg-Washington.html
10 Coolest Small Towns, Wash. - Budget Travel

Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,243,653 times
Hi Everyone!! Good to see so many here!

I noticed the drift toward the Pacific Northwest....I lived in Seattle for five years, and my daughter was born there....it is very wet!

I agree that Pt. Townsend is a jewel of a place...but it still gets the PNW weather. Lovely place to spend a weekend, though.

I also enjoyed staying in the San Juan Islands up there -- quite beautiful in the summer.

Now, if it weren't for that darned rain, and dark clouds, I'd happily go back to Seattle. Being from Buffalo, you'd think I'd have found it wonderful, but snow is drier than rain, and often brings sunshine after a snowfall.

I definitely have SAD, so it was a struggle for me. The first couple of years I was in denial -- figured it was just a fluke there was so much rain.....but it wasn't. August is the best month! Gorgeous blue skies, warm days and nights, just wonderful. But 11 months of gloomy wet weather took its toll on me, plus my daughter had constant ear infections. It's really a shame, because Seattle is a well-designed city with a lot to do. I know I wasn't alone in my difficulty living in a wet city, so I don't feel guilty for saying so -- just wish it wasn't the reality.

But if you don't have SAD, and you feel great in rain, it may be the place for you! For me, it will now be a place to visit, but not live.

I was just checking in -- as you know, my schedule at work is different with a new boss, so my posting has lessened for now.

Welcome to our new folks, and keep these great discussions going!!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 AM

365 posts, read 1,131,103 times
I feel like a troll: I have been reading your thread for weeks now. I have not posted up til now because I'm not of your "demographic" (primarily because I'm married, but everything else seems to apply, and I have gotten some good ideas from you all). Anyway, I immediately thought of all of you when I read this yesterday in the NY Times:

Apartment Therapy New York | Roommates: Artist's Loft for Two The New York Times 1.22.09

Two women buy a loft and renovate it into two separate and distinct areas. Now, granted, this is a $3 million place in NYC, but the idea is interesting. The loft provides a living space for each woman, renovated according to her needs. They have enough privacy so they don't have to interact or even see each other if they don't want to, but they share the costs.

Just an idea....

Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 15,904 times
Sorry it took so long to answer.

Some allow dogs would have to check with the particular one you would be interested in to find out. Mine does but can't be huge.

The coldest so far this winter has been in the 20's but not for long. The day time high this week has been in the upper 50's. Not bad for January.

The summer heat is usually here by end of June and lasts through September. I have not lived here for very long and last summer was my first full summer. October and November and most of December were awesome. Very mild and georgeous.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi Everyone!! Good to see so many here!

I noticed the drift toward the Pacific Northwest....I lived in Seattle for five years, and my daughter was born there....it is very wet!

I agree that Pt. Townsend is a jewel of a place...but it still gets the PNW weather. Lovely place to spend a weekend, though.

I also enjoyed staying in the San Juan Islands up there -- quite beautiful in the summer.

Now, if it weren't for that darned rain, and dark clouds, I'd happily go back to Seattle. Being from Buffalo, you'd think I'd have found it wonderful, but snow is drier than rain, and often brings sunshine after a snowfall.

I definitely have SAD, so it was a struggle for me. The first couple of years I was in denial -- figured it was just a fluke there was so much rain.....but it wasn't. August is the best month! Gorgeous blue skies, warm days and nights, just wonderful. But 11 months of gloomy wet weather took its toll on me, plus my daughter had constant ear infections. It's really a shame, because Seattle is a well-designed city with a lot to do. I know I wasn't alone in my difficulty living in a wet city, so I don't feel guilty for saying so -- just wish it wasn't the reality.

But if you don't have SAD, and you feel great in rain, it may be the place for you! For me, it will now be a place to visit, but not live.

I was just checking in -- as you know, my schedule at work is different with a new boss, so my posting has lessened for now.

Welcome to our new folks, and keep these great discussions going!!
I felt the same way about the PNW. Loved Olympia - it is that smaller walkable town with arts/culture/colleges. Just TOO much rain in the winter and expensive. Summers were glorious--stayed light until 10 pm.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:07 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,956,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I felt the same way about the PNW. Loved Olympia - it is that smaller walkable town with arts/culture/colleges. Just TOO much rain in the winter and expensive. Summers were glorious--stayed light until 10 pm.
Isn't western Washington supposed to be much drier and more sunshine?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,056,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Yes, it is. It is also considerably colder in winter and hotter in summer.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,243,653 times
Quote:
Plantlover:
Maybe you mean eastern Washington, around Spokane -- that's drier. If there are "dry" places in Western Washington, I don't know of any..... I had a friend who lived in Spokane years ago and had a small thrift store. She seemed to like it, but liked the politics/atmosphere of Seattle more. However, she eventually left Seattle, too.

I've never been a rain person, anyway, but somehow was under the misperception that no snow would be easier -- I was wrong. I still love the sunshine and mountains and low humidity -- guess I'm kind of limited, but at least many of those areas are quite beautiful. Can't have it all!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 AM

384 posts, read 877,977 times
CarolL - great link - thanks... I would LOVE doing something like this .... even with a space one half the size of the loft in this article! My challenge is finding someone to do it with... and of course where to do it.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:19 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,956,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Maybe you mean eastern Washington, around Spokane -- that's drier. If there are "dry" places in Western Washington, I don't know of any..... I had a friend who lived in Spokane years ago and had a small thrift store. She seemed to like it, but liked the politics/atmosphere of Seattle more. However, she eventually left Seattle, too.

I've never been a rain person, anyway, but somehow was under the misperception that no snow would be easier -- I was wrong. I still love the sunshine and mountains and low humidity -- guess I'm kind of limited, but at least many of those areas are quite beautiful. Can't have it all!
You are so right! I meant eastern Washington. Thanks for clearing that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement