U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,611,549 times

Advertisements

I like the idea that some are now gravitating to California in spite of all its problems......... it still has the best climate, the mountains, the pacific ocean, the food!!!

I've always been California Dreamin' .......

Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,060,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I like the idea that some are now gravitating to California in spite of all its problems......... it still has the best climate, the mountains, the pacific ocean, the food!!!

I've always been California Dreamin' .......
I'm not. Maybe it's because I actually lived there for a number of years. The narrow coastal area is the only place that has that pleasant climate and it is too crowded and expensive. The rest of the state is either in very polluted and hot valleys or up in the mountains that get tons of snow in the winter.

I noticed that the rest of the country has the impression the whole state has a climate like LA or SFO airports because that is the only weather that is reported. Most people live in other areas.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 AM

4,411 posts, read 5,938,213 times
Well, Tesaje, way back a hundred or so pages ago (LOL), I mentioned that Laguna Woods is a large over-55 community in Orange County that has some reasonably priced condos (in the 100's). That is the only reason I even considered a move back to the West Coast, as otherwise it really would be cost-prohibitive. Since buying is now out-of-the-question for me, I am going to investigate rentals there and see what's available at what price. I visited there in July and I love the area, more than Huntington Beach which is where I lived from 99-01. HB's in a flat area, where LW is in the rolling hills plus very close to gorgeous Laguna Beach.

I did check out Santa Cruz on the map -- I didn't realize how far north it was. Does it have that foggy chilly weather that San Fran has? One of the things I loved about SoCal was that it was pretty much sunny and warm every day....except for some rain in Jan., and the infamous occasional "June gloom". Where did you live in CA? You're right -- the weather can vary from town to town.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 AM

Talking Agreeing with Tesaje........

I should edit my post cuz I agree with Tesaje. I am thinking of the coastal towns when I lust over California..... that's my ultimate fantasy (it could come true) of living within a mile from the beach, cute town like Santa Monica, Santa Barbara (San Luis Obispo - never been there, but want to) LaJolla (my favorite) etc, etc, etc.

So what if I have an expensive taste..... All things are possible when you wanna!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:35 PM

Yes, Santa Cruz gets the morning fog all summer. It is on the N edge of the Monterrey Bay. I think Wisteria said her place is up on a hill so it breaks out of the fog sooner than the city itself. Pretty much the entire CA coast north of Santa Barbara gets the cool summer fog. If you are right on the ocean, it can be pretty cool. Where I lived on the SF Bay about 10 miles S of SFO airport, it was a lot milder than in the city. Ocean currents are different south of Santa Barbara so it is warmer in the south.

I liked the fog. It meant it was bringing in the cool ocean air and I hated the blistering CA summers in the valleys.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,891,718 times
I grew up in the beach area of West Los Angeles. It's really pretty damp, particularly in the mornings. It was more hazy than really sunny. And you don't get summer rains to clean the air.
You do get heavy fogs that can be as paralyzing as the ice storms in the midwest.
I remember having to walk home from school with one foot on the curb and one on the road so I wouldn't get lost. You literally could not see your hand in front of your face.
If you're out when it rolls in, you stay out. Or you do what my dad would do and open the car door (while he was driving) so he could look down and see the white line on the road.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 AM

177 posts, read 470,532 times
Default Me, Too

Hello everyone,

I am in the same boat. I am an older woman who is looking for a place to call home. I now live in Europe but want to come back.

California would be great but cost is a factor for me. San Francisco too expensive and not my cup of tea.

So is owning a car. I would like to live in an affordable, car-free and culturally interesting place.

Does such a town exist???

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM

Default New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
Hello everyone,

I am in the same boat. I am an older woman who is looking for a place to call home. I now live in Europe but want to come back.

California would be great but cost is a factor for me. San Francisco too expensive and not my cup of tea.

So is owning a car. I would like to live in an affordable, car-free and culturally interesting place.

Does such a town exist???
Car-free & culturally interesting....... the only city that comes to my mind is my "hometown" New York City, and the surrounding boroughs are more affordable

Old 01-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Car-free & culturally interesting....... the only city that comes to my mind is my "hometown" New York City, and the surrounding boroughs are more affordable
That is what I was thinking. Any city that meets those criteria fails on the affordability measure.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:15 PM

8,237 posts, read 18,533,732 times
If only I could afford to live in San Francisco. I love the climate and the ambiance of that city.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement