U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 AM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times

Advertisements

Welcome , Jean

I was once very interested in Asheville. Those reasons that you had metioned were the reasons that I had thought it would be a great place. It looks so beautiful nestled there in the graceful mountains. I even sent away for a relocation package.

I was put off by the high living costs there, however. It seems that everytime I discover a great place, other
people inconsiderately move there and ruin everything.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hi folks,

Sorry I haven't been around much. I see many of us are stuck in our homes. I'm getting to the point that I just want to make a change – like now! I will probably wait until December because then I will be 62 and will have Social Security as a backup. Whether or not the economy turns around, I have to realize that I just have to cut my losses.

I'm not wealthy, never have been wealthy, and don't expect to be wealthy, unless something very magical happens!

I am feeling sluggish and burned out, and I think a big change would at least be stimulating. Because I raised my daughter on my own, and I have been working two jobs the past 13 years here, I have not had many opportunities to meet people outside of work….thus, my social circle could really use expanding.

Unless someone wants to pop in and be my roommate, I will have to adjust my plans to moving.

Coney Babe, you mentioned New York as the place for so many things we all want – except for the cost. I am torn. I'd love to have more intellectual stimulation, and I do miss New Yorkers. In fact, ironically, I had a dream about a New Yorker guy last night (no one I knew, but obviously a symbol in my dream). We were at a university, near a lake, and in a library, his last name was Bloom, although I didn't catch his first name, and he was super smart, funny, and interesting (sound familiar about some of those New York guys?? ). It was a short dream, but it brought me back to times when I had more intellectual stimulation, and others who were like that – and that New York sense of humor – I just don't think it exists outside of New York – that is what I miss most.

I love a lot about the west, too, though -- mostly it's the environment, lifestyle and more positive attitude. So, I'm not as optimistic as I'd like to be at this point in time. I just can't believe we're in a depression….just when so many of us want to enjoy retirement…..phissst…..it's gone. I realize I'm not alone in this, but it doesn't make it any more palatable.

I wish I had tons of money to just toss around, but, alas, I don't. I've done a lot in my life on so little, however, at this age, it's more difficult to do much on so little (especially with the economy the way it is now).

At least having this group of women who also want to make changes is a great thing. I appreciate all of you!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Default Sluggish?

Good to hear from you, Miss W. I understand the sluggish feeling. Whatever happened to my super energy?

Well, I just got back from picking up flower seeds. I had to figure out a way to save some $$ and still have the things I love. This also gives winter a kick in the hiney - days are getting longer and the sun is much more intense. I CAN NOT WAIT!

I'm really torn between saying - take the loss on your house and move on - life is short - you're wasting precious time. BUT - with everything else in bad shape, I just can't accept that this is all I have to show for 60 hr weeks for so many years. I've been poor. It didn't bother me when I was young - it would bother me now. I've worked too hard.

So, what to do.

Wisteria, I can see that you are lonely - but NY? Remember the cost of living. It's fun and interesting if you have some money to enjoy it. I had thought that you would probably want to stay as close to your daughter as possible.

CA is also too expensive, and I fear it is going to get more so. I'm still looking at CO or perhaps TN. I never would have thought that I would consider anywhere in the south and then I realized that TN is changing, just as everywhere is. I'm ready for some kind and thoughtful people. NM is out - way too close to MX. I believe the trouble in MX is going to affect us big time and I want to be away from it.

So, here's to spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I will wait a bit longer before I make any decisions. Who knows what these various states will be like when this is over. Just PLEASE keep all your welfare people out of TN and CO!!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:20 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Talking Yadda, yadda, yadda

We've all been ranting about where we live, where we want to relocate to, cost of living, travel, making new friends.... yadda, yadda, yadda.... and all of our concerns are REAL. At our age, we realize that it's not practical to just relocate to a new state without research and actually visiting the prospective location, more than one time; of course that is very expensive - but very important.

There is no easy solution to our mutual dilemma, especially in this tough economy

Spring is only 6 weeks away so maybe we will all bloom with a new positive attitude about our current lifestyle and a bright future I signed-up for two courses at the local Master Gardener's Seminar - how to grow tomatoes & basic gardening

Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
When I visited NYC, I liked it a lot more than I ever thought I would. But even if I could afford it within a reasonable lifestyle, I don't think I would want to stay there for very long. It is just too populated and condensed. I want more access to nature.

I hear ya about the intellectual stimulation. That's something I've realized I've missed since my college days. I hope to be able to seek out more after I'm retired and not so exhausted from 15 hour days spent at a job I'm tired of, don't want to do anymore, and that long commute. I get some from a couple of friends, but I guess it isn't enough.

Who knows whether there will be an Obama miracle on the economy? I'll never be wealthy either, but I should be comfortable in most places as long as I don't try for a really high cost area. 330 more days for me and I plan to jump the ship! I just might not be able to make my move as planned, but I still want to retire.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
I appreciate all of you!

We appreciate you too, wisteria.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Quote:
ConeyIsBabe: Spring is only 6 weeks away so maybe we will all bloom with a new positive attitude about our current lifestyle and a bright future I signed-up for two courses at the local Master Gardener's Seminar - how to grow tomatoes & basic gardening
Okay, Coney, you have inspired me!! I just this moment registered for a class I've been putting off signing up for. I teach "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain," but use a pencil or pen for my own drawings. This sounded different, so I thought "why not?" It's on a weekend, so I can do it, and it's not very expensive (it's at the local community college).

Anyone else ever hear of this? It looks interesting:

Painted Floor Cloths:
Floor cloths were popular during the 18th and 19th centuries. They are pieces of canvas, painted, then varnished, and used as accent pieces for your floor. Projects can be stenciled, marbleized, or free-hand drawn to coordinate with the decor of your room. They are easy to clean and very durable. Class size is limited.

Here is a link to what some look like: http://www.floorcloth.net/gallery.shtml

If nothing else, I now have a creative day planned in March! Thanks for the push!!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:34 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Anyone else ever hear of this? It looks interesting:

Painted Floor Cloths:
Floor cloths were popular during the 18th and 19th centuries. They are pieces of canvas, painted, then varnished, and used as accent pieces for your floor.....

Here is a link to what some look like: Floorcloths by Design Village : : Floorcloths Gallery

If nothing else, I now have a creative day planned in March! Thanks for the push!!
I like these, and had never heard of them before. Looks like fun to learn how to make them.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
It was a short dream, but it brought me back to times when I had more intellectual stimulation, and others who were like that – and that New York sense of humor – I just don't think it exists outside of New York – that is what I miss most.
I'm loving my credit ceramics class at the community college (I'm auditing it.) I've been there 6 days a week for the last two weeks--after work and weekends. It's a different group from the continuing ed--more academic which is giving me the intellectual stimulus that I've been missing since graduating last year.

I have a date on Sunday with a guy from NY and I was telling someone he's gotten points because he gets my sense of humor! Now I know why

When I was younger and living in an old house in PA I thought about making a painted floor cloth after ripping up linoleum and not being able to afford a good floor but I ended up just painting the old softwood floor instead. Send pics after you do it!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 PM

70 posts, read 252,664 times
Thanks Wisteria for the floorcloth link, I will pass it on to my paint peeps. We have a group of ladies that get together every week and paint, draw, and plan projects. Sometimes we do art projects for the community. All the ladies are very down to earth and while we slosh paint, we laugh, eat sweets, trade stories, encourage each other and stimulate each others brain. It is very uplifting. We also have other artists come in and teach us which is enriching. We really thrive on each others energy. I'm so glad to see you are offering your talents to others. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement