U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 05:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times

Advertisements

Welcome to our little spot in cyberspace!!

I live in s/Oregon and I can't imagine Cannon Beach (altho I've never been there) being a more expensive place to live than Winter Park Florida In the Rogue Valley & Evans Valley there are many bargains in real estate and the cost of living, compared to Florida, is very LOW - as long as you are employed or retired with an income

Anyway, we all seem to be in the same boat - not able or not willing to make a decision about where to relocate because it is one of life's most stressful events and we're old enough and wise enough to consider all our options

Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 PM

121 posts, read 253,810 times
We all have dreams. The economy right now is not supporting our dreams. Things will turn around, we just have to be patient. I've been checking out land in Argentina. I want to retire in Washington state, Olympic Peninsula area, but can't afford it since CA home prices dropped dramatically. I want a European feeling and a mild climate. Uraguay and Argentina seem to fit the bill. Anyone for Spanish classes?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairwinds View Post
We all have dreams. The economy right now is not supporting our dreams. Things will turn around, we just have to be patient. I've been checking out land in Argentina. I want to retire in Washington state, Olympic Peninsula area, but can't afford it since CA home prices dropped dramatically. I want a European feeling and a mild climate. Uraguay and Argentina seem to fit the bill. Anyone for Spanish classes?
I lived in Argentina in the 70's. I have also considered going back there. There's an on-line forum for BA expats, though nothing for other parts of the country.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 PM

121 posts, read 253,810 times
Red face Thinking of moving to a major city?

Tejage, I fell in love with London. On my way back from New Zealand, I meant A CSI cop from London who had just accepted a job in New Zealand. He said he was getting out of London because he saw the direction Engalnd was headed and he wanted his family in a safe place. That man was one of the top CSI's in England. This was four years ago. He was on the inside, he understood the demographics of major cities. We must research areas carefully before we up and move. There are socio-economic factors we need to consider to remain safe. Culture, art, history and continuing education are extremely important to us. So is safety! These are all factors we must weigh before moving on a whim. What seems safe today maybe not safe tomorrow. I've taken a lot of chances in my life, was almost shot by a firing squad in a third world nation over a simple miss-communication. I'll take the country folk any day, their art, music, soul, and simple honesty will fill your heart with good tidings. Lots to think about!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
I am definitely a country gal! The USA is where I will stay. Very interesting posts.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:39 PM

13,320 posts, read 25,569,771 times
Ha. As I'm typing, there's an ad on TV for Erickson communities, which are a backup thought for me for older age. I wish they'd build one nearer to my comfort zone (nw of Boston) and not just the two on the coast, north and south.
I admit I like having the financial control of a single house, no HOA issues, and the room for my many rescue dogs. Not sure when/if I'll be willing to give that up.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,928,354 times
I just wanted to welcome the new folks, and also to just say how much I love this thread. Even if I'm gone for a few days, I always look forward to coming back here -- I feel like I've found "compadres" who understand my wanderlust and don't think I'm crazy. There are others like me!!! There are others who, like me, feel the grass is always greener....somewhere else. There are others who have dreams of a retirement destination but are stuck, due to the real estate downturn. There are others who inspire me to do something NOW, because I'm not getting any younger.

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you! :-)

Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 15,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
The area sounds very interesting. Do the mobile home parks allow dogs? How cold does it get in the winter?
My park allows two small dogs or cats. I don't know about other parks but they probably do since may serniors have pets.

It gets down into the teens sometimes but the days warm up nicely. It was 38 last night but right now at 11:30 am it is 46 and will cetainly get into the 50's.

Last week we had 60's. Gets pretty warm in the summer 110 but the evenings are nice.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 15,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I do have one more question....how long are the "hot" summers?
It's really hot for a couple of months, July and August. But the weather is really changing everywhere so that may not be true in the future. Last year we had a couple of really hot months but the fall Sept, Oct, and Nov, were wonderful. Warm days and not really cold nights. When the sun is out most of the time like it is here, even the cold days seem warmer.

Al lot of the people who own property and park models in my park are snow birds from Northern Utah with a mix of Idaho and Wyoming, and even Canada. They are here for about six months and then go home in the Spring.

It get's pretty quiet during the summer around here.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:49 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldutahgal View Post
It's really hot for a couple of months, July and August. But the weather is really changing everywhere so that may not be true in the future. Last year we had a couple of really hot months but the fall Sept, Oct, and Nov, were wonderful. Warm days and not really cold nights. When the sun is out most of the time like it is here, even the cold days seem warmer.

Al lot of the people who own property and park models in my park are snow birds from Northern Utah with a mix of Idaho and Wyoming, and even Canada. They are here for about six months and then go home in the Spring.

It get's pretty quiet during the summer around here.
What sort of recreational activities are there in the area? Hiking, fishing, etc.? Remind me again, where exactly this is? Your post was awhile ago. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement