U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi Guys! Back in cyberspace. I have off today, so I can play around with the computer! I will miss some of it here. But realistically, it makes sense to move. I stayed this year because I thought my daughter might need a place to live over the summer, and for breaks from college. Now that she has a serious boyfriend, it looks like she'll be rooming with him..... I guess mom (me) did her job and raised her into a good, independent adult, and now she is flying with her own wings..... So, it just seems dumb for me to stay here knowing how I struggle keeping this up. If I can get into town, closer to things, then I could stay at my job for another couple of years to build up my retirement pension. But it would also free me up to looking around at other places, and feel that I can move if I wanted to...instead of waiting to see if I could sell this place or not, or if I'd lose money on it. But it's still worrisome to me, because I've been here for quite awhile now, yet at the same time, I realize I can't afford to retire here -- might as well try to get out now, if I can....
Good luck selling Wisteria! If you get out this way, let's meet. My son has a new girlfriend and just told me he wants to stay in WA for the summer to have a big garden. Although I'm sure he wants to have a garden I think it has more to do with the girlfriend I'm hoping he'll visit for a week this summer and put in an irrigation system for me. Just when you REALLY enjoy them as people they move away. It is better than never leaving (so I keep reminding myself. )

Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Quote:
Dancingearth: Good luck selling Wisteria! If you get out this way, let's meet. My son has a new girlfriend and just told me he wants to stay in WA for the summer to have a big garden. Although I'm sure he wants to have a garden I think it has more to do with the girlfriend I'm hoping he'll visit for a week this summer and put in an irrigation system for me. Just when you REALLY enjoy them as people they move away. It is better than never leaving (so I keep reminding myself. )
That Empty-Nest Sydrome is a bear!

Yes, I'd love to meet-up. Maybe MN2CO and I could get together and take a trip up that way -- what do you think, MN2CO????

If I am free without the ownership, I am free then to take regular vacations instead of working on the house.

I'm also interested in learning more about how you got your home at that great price. Is there anything for retired seniors?? (I know you're still working..)

I would love to spend more time working on art and other things (spiritual in nature), and enjoying the great outdoors, and Santa Fe seems really nice -- but you figured out how to live there less expensively! You did a good job!

Down-the-road, I think you will be hearing from me! Seriously. I want to re-check out NM, as that seems to be the strongest pull -- don't know why.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:57 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
"W" - I'd love to meet up with you and take a trip to NM. I just turned on the TV and again the doom and gloom hits - now Japan is sinking - of all places. I don't feel good about this - at all. Let me think about this - as much as I'd love to meet up with you - I'm not working and everyday my finances are getting smaller. This should be a time when an offer such as yours comes up that I could just say "Yes-when" and go for it. Sorry - I just have to vent. This could be such a great trip! I've read where motel/hotel rooms are really cheap right now.

If I cut off my Financial Advisor, who isn't worth a tinkers damn, that would pay for the trip.

Tesaje!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tesaje is our finance guru along with janb.

Stay tuned..... I deserve this trip.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Homewise, your partner in homeownership
Santa Fe Community Housing Trust
Here are two programs in Santa Fe. Go three years without owning a home and you qualify as a first-time buyer again. I used the Santa Fe Community Housing Trust. They had an over 55 community as one of the programs. I never thought I could afford anything here again. I think it's wise to rent here at first--some people just don't take--it's a very different place.

Looking forward to your visit after you sell the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
That Empty-Nest Sydrome is a bear!

Yes, I'd love to meet-up. Maybe MN2CO and I could get together and take a trip up that way -- what do you think, MN2CO????

If I am free without the ownership, I am free then to take regular vacations instead of working on the house.

I'm also interested in learning more about how you got your home at that great price. Is there anything for retired seniors?? (I know you're still working..)

I would love to spend more time working on art and other things (spiritual in nature), and enjoying the great outdoors, and Santa Fe seems really nice -- but you figured out how to live there less expensively! You did a good job!

Down-the-road, I think you will be hearing from me! Seriously. I want to re-check out NM, as that seems to be the strongest pull -- don't know why.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 PM

Ten million baby boomers will have alzheimers - TEN MILLION!!!!!!

As John Wayne would say - "We're wastin daylight!"

Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Quote:
MN2CO: Ten million baby boomers will have alzheimers - TEN MILLION!!!!!! As John Wayne would say - "We're wastin daylight!"
Geez, you're freaking me out!!!

See, that's why I have to sell my house now -- I might forget to do it later!!! In fact, I might even forget where my house is!! YIKES!!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 PM

8 posts, read 14,858 times
Hi Wisteria,
You live where I always thought I would love to live, except I doubt I could afford CA. I've been to the Santa Cruz area about 10 times on vacation, always flying into San Jose and doing some exploring up and down the coast. I love the area and always thought my perfect place to live would be somewhere near the ocean yet also wooded. I was there last 2 years ago to see the elephant seals and loved it.

I've joked with one of my friends that I want to live the life of the "Golden Girls" of TV fame and have a few friends share a house and do whatever made us happy. (I'm so old now and set in my ways after all these years I wonder if I could live with anyone.) If I had stayed married, I would have had my 40th anniversary last year, but I only lasted 3 years and have lived alone and mostly happy all this time.

Hey....just a thought....and not a very bright one....how about a commune like in the 60's where everyone lives together, grows veggies and flowers and shares life? Only one problem...I think I threw out all my old mumus and flowered long dresses at my last garage sale.

Last year I decided I needed to start doing something for myself after my sister (61), my 96yo mother, a cousin, and my aunt all passed away within 2 months of eachother. After that I vowed to retire early (before 66) and travel and make new friends. (I did see the other thread about it being hard to make new friends at our age also, and it gives me hope to keep trying.)

If anyone would like to explore Wisconsin, let me know. I like meeting new people.

Bear with me. I'm still trying to figure all this blogging and messaging and smiley icons.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Cool My mom had it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Ten million baby boomers will have alzheimers - TEN MILLION!!!!!!

As John Wayne would say - "We're wastin daylight!"
I have inherited some very crappy genes.... Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Diabetes, Low-IQ, etc. so, as a result, I've taken control over everything possible to prevent those conditions.

The easiest thing to master is what I eat..... and I'm very disciplined about that, so I must be doing something right cuz I don't need to take any prescribed meds Even tho I'm limited by bad back & bad knees (torn meniscus) I make an effort to keep moving the body as much as I can. I'm hoping the 'puter keeps my brain a little stimulated, especially participating on C-D I don't smoke, don't drink, don't get stressed out by daily life

What else can we do?

Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM

8 posts, read 14,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
This is probably the BEST thread on this board. It takes time to go through al the posts but it's worth it.

I see you're my neighbor - Door County is a place I've always wanted to visit but just never have -hmmm.

Right now, this thread has taken a pause - I think everyone needs to figure out what they can do and when. No doubt many will end up in different locations but that doesn't mean we can't still get together at different spots - kind of a ya-ya-sisterhood.

Spring is almost here - it takes a bit longer for you and I (), but boy do we appreciate it when it finally gets here

Welcome to our board - stay tuned - it will come alive again!!
Hi MN2CO,

Door County is beautiful. I've only owned the new house for a year but last summer and fall I put in about a dozen evergreen trees, had 7 tons of glacial boulders and flagstone brought in and in the fall I planted 350 new daffodil and tulip bulbs. (I'm getting tooooo old for this stuff.) I hope the squirrels and deer didn't get them all over the winter. If you are ever in the area let me know!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Default Hey - Thanks!!

LorieK - Don't be surprised if I take you up on it. I'm in Edina, MN (near Southdale Mall). So ditto to you. You can always send a email via CD.

You sound way too much like me - while I didn't do all that in one year - last year I had 4 yards of rock delivered and moved it around front and back. The comments I heard from neighbors - suddenly the walking traffic really picked up when I was outside - I felt like a side show. I'm small and not 20 so they were just appalled that I would take on something like this. (Why not?????????????????) Show me your arms!!! MY - mine don't do that jiggly thing........ (No, I didn't say this - but I sure thought it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement