U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,053,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
LorieK - Don't be surprised if I take you up on it. I'm in Edina, MN (near Southdale Mall). So ditto to you. You can always send a email via CD.

You sound way too much like me - while I didn't do all that in one year - last year I had 4 yards of rock delivered and moved it around front and back. The comments I heard from neighbors - suddenly the walking traffic really picked up when I was outside - I felt like a side show. I'm small and not 20 so they were just appalled that I would take on something like this. (Why not?????????????????) Show me your arms!!! MY - mine don't do that jiggly thing........ (No, I didn't say this - but I sure thought it!)
Another lady doing aerobic weight lifting! I calculated that I have about 43 tons of brick to lay . But it is really a great workout and I only do what I can do in one session. Each brick isn't much. I probably won't get to it til next year, tho after I retire.

WI is on my very short list of states that I have never been to and I need to get the rest on my list.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,928,354 times
When I put my condo on the market, I thought about negotiating a 5% commission, but with the huge amount of inventory in my area, I thought it would be best to stick to the standard 6% commission. By the way, I've re-listed my place as of Friday, and had SEVEN showings this weekend -- isn't that exciting??? Well, nooo, it actually isn't, because not one of the seven actually turned out to be a serious buyer. I've now instructed my agent to ask some "pre-qualifying" questions the next time an agent calls her to ask for a showing. This is what I went through when I had the place listed in the fall -- lots of showings for "looky-loo's" who ended up buying....nothing. I'm very depressed....I know it's only been one weekend, but this didn't bode well...

I have always thought that if I got in a financial bind, I could sell my house and move in with my Mom in FL. I had NO idea that a situation could exist in which I couldn't sell my house. I am bleeding money every month. Ughhh.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Another lady doing aerobic weight lifting! I calculated that I have about 43 tons of brick to lay . But it is really a great workout and I only do what I can do in one session. Each brick isn't much. I probably won't get to it til next year, tho after I retire.

WI is on my very short list of states that I have never been to and I need to get the rest on my list.
Hey what's up with my jiggly arms! I am probably known as the crazy old lady who is out with a wagon looking for free rocks in the field across from me. It felt like I dragged/lifted tons for my garden and I still want more. Should be doing that instead of spending all my time at the pottery studio. Maybe the arms aren't as jiggly as they were but I'm too busy and haven't looked. Pottery is probably helping too--wedging clay is hard work!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:53 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I have inherited some very crappy genes.... Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Diabetes, Low-IQ, etc. so, as a result, I've taken control over everything possible to prevent those conditions.

The easiest thing to master is what I eat..... and I'm very disciplined about that, so I must be doing something right cuz I don't need to take any prescribed meds Even tho I'm limited by bad back & bad knees (torn meniscus) I make an effort to keep moving the body as much as I can. I'm hoping the 'puter keeps my brain a little stimulated, especially participating on C-D I don't smoke, don't drink, don't get stressed out by daily life

What else can we do?
What in particular are you doing to help prevent/minimize alzheimers?

Also, Coney - really - I have yet to see a low-IQ coming from you!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times
Talking Mn2co.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
What in particular are you doing to help prevent/minimize alzheimers?

Also, Coney - really - I have yet to see a low-IQ coming from you!!

From my understanding of Alzheimer's..... the cause is unknown - but there have been reports of certain things which might contribute to it, so I've been avoiding them: like not cooking in aluminum pots, not using any products which contain aluminum (deodorant); although it's not a proven factor - I don't smoke, I don't take any prescribed drugs!

I eat a natural diet, fresh fish, some chicken, fruits & veggies, egg whites, healthy oil, beans, whole grain bread, very little processed food, NO red meat, NO dairy, NO chemicals or additives in my food. I have no control over restaurant food - prefer Thai food when I eat out, but in my home I am in total control and am hoping it continues to create optimal wellness

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 02-17-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,262 times
Hi folks,

Well, I know I was all excited to sell this house this Spring....but.....I checked Craig's List for housing in Santa Cruz....and I do NOT know how people afford to live here! I was in shock!!! After seeing the listings and the lack of having pets, and the high prices (including having to pay utilities), I realized that I am paying less (not much, but still less) than those rentals! i could not believe it!!

So, here's the proposal: I am putting out that I am looking for a "friend-mate," not "roommate." I'd love to have another woman around my age who would enjoy living in nature, and also want to create some venture to make some money. It could be as simple as conducting redwood hikes and overnights, or creating and selling something, or whatever. In this economy, it is wise to find something to bring in more money.

Here's the Craig's List at this point: santa cruz co apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/apa/?SAB=scz - broken link) (The places I would be looking at are "Santa Cruz" and "Felton" but the other cities listed are not very desirable...if you don't live out here, you probably would not know that they are very different places, and also very far apart.....) And having pets...looks like I'd have to get rid of some of them to live in a rental (see MN2CO, I DO feel guilty about my dog, Koko! )

Honestly, I knew it was expensive here, but to think that rentals are this high is crazy. Even my realtor said I could get at least $1600/month for my humble place. My daughter said that a lot of her high school teachers had roommates -- now I know why.

So....I am reconsidering selling. Since I would most likely pay more in rent than I am now, plus, I couldn't have all my pets, I may stay here. I really hate winter, and I know that has influenced me.

I am open to creating something with other women across the country. We could develop a great website that links people together and still makes money (think Facebook). Seriously. Target US!

Anyway, that's the update. I got kind of freaked out when I saw those rents. Wow, I just didn't know. So, yes, I am up here in a rural area. But...and I know it's a big but....if I had several other women who wanted to make it out here, try new things, make some money and wanted to work together toward a goal....I have a place for you here -- and it won't cost what Craig's List charges!!

I'm sad about this, because I was so excited about my plan and it seemed like a good plan, but maybe the better plan is to continue working another three years, get more pension, and more Social Security....I've been here 12 years already, why not three more?

I am hoping that some of you will want to spend a week visiting here. Come in the summer, and rent a car, and explore. Use my house, see this area, and just see how it feels. Maybe we CAN get together that group of women who want to share expenses, but still have the good life. You never know!

I'm still open to visiting other places for fun, but I think I need to reconsider selling -- in spite of the drop in prices. I bought this home in 2000, so I'm just at the beginning of the bubble -- hopefully, it won't go under water!

Thanks everyone for following my drama of my home....I'm very confused, but need to make sure I don't go broke or forced out of my job in the process. Wow, it sure is expensive here!

Last edited by Wisteria; 02-17-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Who ever said a woman has a right to change her mind? I don't know either, but it's true.

I wondered about rent costs - I imagine they are even higher now because so many people that had a home don't, so now they are renting too.

Koko - I saved your manegy butt!!

I will promise to come out this summer - I might even drive - it would be more fun if I had someone to go with me.

You're lucky to have a job - jobs are gold right now. Now, all you need is a roommate - I know, how about this guy:

Time for bed - I worked too hard today http://bestsmileys.com/silly/1.gif (broken link)

Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,928,354 times
Hi Wisteria,

Sorry to be dense but I'm not following....are you saying that you live in (or outside of) Santa Cruz and are staying there but looking to share your place...? I agree that if you don't have to sell your place, don't do it...and it sounds like you live in such a beautiful area...

About the Alzheimer's prevention strategies -- my Mom does crossword puzzles every day and shows no signs of Alzheimer's at 86, even though it runs in her family. I also heard that line-dancing is a great way to keep the mind stimulated -- and it's not enough to do dances that you already know, you have to keep learning new ones. It's great physical AND mental stimulation!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,053,898 times
It sounds like your property is worth something. In this market, those rental properties are probably tied to big mortgages so the landlords still need to charge a lot to cover those. That area is still hugely overpopulated so they can probably still fill them. I can't believe it is Santa Cruz winters that you want to get away from ... Winter there is pretty mild. I'm not surprised you found the rents are too much. Especially compared to a 9 year old mortgage payment.

If you have that guest house, I bet it wouldn't take a lot to make that into a decent rental. That is almost ideal - extra income and tax deductions without actually having to share your space too closely. With an amenable tenant, it could be really good for you.

I can't do anything this year because I have to save all my leave for my retirement but maybe we could have some periodic retreats based around your place - a small fee would help you a lot, not cost us much, and it could be great fun.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,262 times
Quote:
Avalon08:
Sorry to be dense but I'm not following....are you saying that you live in (or outside of) Santa Cruz and are staying there but looking to share your place...? I agree that if you don't have to sell your place, don't do it...and it sounds like you live in such a beautiful area...
Quote:
Tesaje: It sounds like your property is worth something. In this market, those rental properties are probably tied to big mortgages so the landlords still need to charge a lot to cover those. That area is still hugely overpopulated so they can probably still fill them. I can't believe it is Santa Cruz winters that you want to get away from ... Winter there is pretty mild. I'm not surprised you found the rents are too much. Especially compared to a 9 year old mortgage payment.

If you have that guest house, I bet it wouldn't take a lot to make that into a decent rental. That is almost ideal - extra income and tax deductions without actually having to share your space too closely. With an amenable tenant, it could be really good for you.

I can't do anything this year because I have to save all my leave for my retirement but maybe we could have some periodic retreats based around your place - a small fee would help you a lot, not cost us much, and it could be great fun.
Thanks for the support guys! Avalon, I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains -- about 6 miles from the beach and I'm in Felton, not Santa Cruz, proper. The land rises up quickly from the ocean to here -- we have many, many "micro climates." I am trying to decide to put the house on the market now and see if I can save some equity to move....out of the area because it is still very expensive here. If I stayed, yes, I would consider a roommate because I find that I miss having the company of my daughter and someone to interact with (which I didn't think I would), and not being in town but rural, it's harder to get out and mill about. I am torn between selling now and getting a roommate to get by. It is a very nice area, however, I don't realistically financially think I can retire here, and I cannot manage this entire property alone. So, either I'd have to get someone to share with, or move. I kind of think that's my option. I had to put money in for a new roof and septic system, so that ate up some equity. But it's good to have a roof and septic system!

Tesjae, yes, I know what you mean about winters. Only where I am, because of where I am situated, a bit higher in elevation, it rains a lot more here, and it makes travel harder. Being from Buffalo, I never knew that areas out west that have significant rain were "difficult," and it has been a learning experience for me. Maybe in the Spring I will force myself to start going into town more...I hate driving, but it would probably be good for me to get out more....darned Koko, though, that dog -- I still have to come home after work and let him out before I can go out again to do things....

I have a guest house, but the county won't allow me to hook it up to the septic system, although I could find a way to get water into it. It does have electric and a wood-burning stove, and it is a very nice-feeling place. Santa Cruz County Planning Department is hard-core. In order to build/upgrade an extra building to code, you have to have an acre of land just for that building. It's crazy. I even asked the Planning Department about putting up a higher fence in one area, and if they could come down and see if it could be erected there -- they told me that it would cost me $1,000 just to have them walk over for 3-5 minutes and tell me! (I didn't bother...) They are not into growth here, which is why the costs are so high. And, yes, those rentals did surprise me. A lot of people with whom I work actually live "over the hill" in San Jose where they say it's a little cheaper -- only I have seen similar rents over there, too. A lot of people have roommates, and many have at least two-income households. I only have one income, and for here, it is just not enough. However, I am glad that I raised my daughter here, because she had opportunities that she could not have had elsewhere, and she can always say that this is her "home."

Periodic retreats would be great!

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement