U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times

Advertisements

It seems like all your problems would be solved if only you could find a way to install a "temporary/holding tank/septic" outside your guest house - the kind of system you pump-out, whenever it needs it, yearly or whatever. Then have the shower/etc. water exit outside under ground into the woods. Furnish it nicely, with a fridge, TV, add some minimal cooking appliances, THEN you could rent out your guest house, on a month-to-month basis, and collect at least $1k per month income

Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hi Coney,

That's a good idea and one I considered....only it's illegal here. If they discovered it, I would be red-tagged and then serious problems would ensue. In fact, several years ago, we had a "bad" neighbor (who has since sold and moved), and he was angry with people around here constantly calling the cops on his loud behavior, drug use, etc. So....he turned a lot of us into the county for "illegal" things on our property. I was shocked when I received a letter from the planning department saying that I was "turned in" for an illegal "bedroom, carport, and porch," all of which were built legally and had permits! So, I didn't get red-tagged, but I was pretty angry (and so were other neighbors) that he did that. I just wouldn't chance it.

I am hearing so much from so many angles at this point, that I'm getting dizzy. I think maybe I should just put the house on the market and see what happens. I can take it off. Maybe I will feel better if I see what is going on out there. Maybe I'll feel worse -- I don't know.

I have friends around the country telling me to get rid of the house now, that in a few years, things will have really bottomed out, and even if I have to pay a really high rent, that it's better to have the cash for several years down-the-road. I'm getting more and more confused.

Santa Cruz County is probably one of the toughest counties in the country to get anything done (my second place guess would be Boulder, Colorado, with the greenbelt). I can't even cut a redwood on my own property without county permission, and it has to be a "small" redwood in diameter. "Big" redwoods are not allowed to be cut unless there is some special "reason" and permission. And Eucalyptus trees, which are famously known for just falling out of the ground onto houses, can't even be cut! They are dangerous trees! But the county, apparently, would rather save the trees than the houses.... You can see why a lot of tree huggers like it here!

So, at this point, I am now totally confused. I guess putting the house on the market will at least get me motivated to clean things up and clear things out. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell; if I can't get enough, I can stay and it will be "feng-shuied!" I don't think I can clearly make a decision at this point.

Reading and watching the news makes it no better. Oh, what to do, what to do?

Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Talking Wisteria....

Keep in mind.... it does NOT get any easier, as you get older - BUT - in these uncertain times, having a home and a job go a long way for peace of mind!

I think spring will bring us all an improved attitude........ let's try to do some fun things and enjoy what we can

Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
You know who we haven't heard from in a long time? ANOMOLY!!!!!

I miss her wisdom & wit & adventuresome spirit.. How's Yuma? Or are you in Las Cruces now?

Check in and let us know how you're doing!!! (That's an order)

Old 02-18-2009, 02:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
You know who we haven't heard from in a long time? ANOMOLY!!!!!

I miss her wisdom & wit & adventuresome spirit.. How's Yuma? Or are you in Las Cruces now?

Check in and let us know how you're doing!!! (That's an order)
You read my mind--I've been wondering the same thing! Anomoly.....where are you.....

Old 02-18-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Just got this in email from a CO friend....

Butterfly Angels

Time passes.
Life happens.
Distance separates.
Children grow up.

Jobs come and go.
Love waxes and wanes.
Men don't do what they're supposed to do.

Hearts break.
Parents die.
Colleagues forget favors.
Careers end.

BUT........
Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how many miles are between you.
A girl friend is never farther away than needing her can reach

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the valley's end.

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you...

Or come in and carry you out.
Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters, daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers, Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended family, all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and neither would I. When we began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead.

Nor did we know how much we would need each other.
Every day, we need each other still.

Pass this on to all the women who help make your life meaningful.
I just did.
Short and very sweet:
There are (twenty) many angels in this world.
Ten are peacefully sleeping on clouds.
Nine are playing.
And (one) many more (is) are reading (her) their email at this moment

:c rying:

Old 02-19-2009, 06:50 PM

Default How did this become a sticky?

I know we're all important but who did this?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:38 PM

15,351 posts, read 27,550,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena123 View Post
Is E TN humid in the summer months?
YES! I live here and the summers can be hell with the humidity and mosquitoes.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
It's a sticky? I didn't know that. Hear that, wisteria ??? Your fabulous thread will live on forever!!!!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 PM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
Yes, I was wondering who made it a sticky too. I almost missed it because I usually don't pay attention to the stickies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement