U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,915 posts, read 6,238,329 times

Advertisements

On topic: Okay, I am considering still trying to put the house on the market in April (probably toward the end of it), but am still ambivalent. I worry about finding a rental with my pets, and I feel so stuck. It's also been raining....every weekend lately! More predicted for this coming weekend! YUCK! That means I can't really get too much done because of it. Can't paint because there's too much moisture, trying to clear things outside is just impossible. I need to do some dump runs, but all the plastic bags the stuff is in are outside and they are yucky and wet!

Plus, I'm feeling overwhelmed by all that has to be done. Do I need to replace the screen doors where the one evil cat scratched it apart, or what? I don't have any real help, and my daughter is not around much, so I'm feeling pretty helpless in that way. I can't afford to hire people (which would be the simplest solution, but for me, the most expensive and unaffordable).

Maybe when the sun returns (okay, it's sunny right now, but I'm chained to my desk!) on weekends and I have better weather and no more soggy conditions, I will feel better about it. It's scary to think of doing this -- is it the right time, wrong time, no time? I have no clue. I'm thinking that just to be practical that maybe I will put it on the market and just see what those "looky loos" have to say -- it will give me a better idea of what I need to do down-the-road....since I still may be here awhile.

I guess the up side is that I will get more pension and Social Security if I stay at my job. The down side is that I'll be even older when I start in a new place -- it all seems so much more difficult as I age. I used to be young, perky, light-hearted, adventurous, and now I'm dreading this whole process. Anyone else feel like that??

So, that is my update.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,606,705 times
Default My FSBO last spring.....

Last spring I put my house on the market; on two internet web sites and an ad running 4 weeks in my local newspaper. The house was spotless, staged perfectly, only bare necessities, absolutely no clutter. I only received one phone call and they never came to even look I know it was my asking price.... too high ...... but I'm not desperate enough (yet) to take a lo$$ !

But, what disturbed me even more was the thought............. what if a buyer came, loved the house, accepted my price, said "I'll take it" !

Where would I move to? I really haven't set my destination, other than maybe Florida; maybe rent a home in The Villages?

What I'm trying to say is............ at our age, being less adventurous and less of a risk-taker than in our youth ....... we really need a budget and a solid PLAN! That in itself is a comfort.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,917,359 times
I hesitate to make any more than a "tentative plan" because planning these days seems to be kind of useless. I thought I had planned for retirement; then lost 30% of my 401K. I thought I could sell my place if I priced it right; then we had a real-estate meltdown. I thought I could plan my life without worrying about my adult son (see above), and we know what happened there.

If I am lucky enough to sell my house, I will have to scramble to figure out where to go, but it will be a "pleasant" scramble....rather than having a move all planned out, looking forward to it then being dejected because it's not happenin'....

Old 02-25-2009, 02:08 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,917,359 times
Wisteria, I know that all of the work involved in getting your house sale-ready is overwhelming. And not just the obvious things -- even the closets, refrigerator, drawers, etc. have to be neat and organized and clutter-free. And once you get it that way, you have to keep it show-ready in case you get the infamous looky-loos.

Maybe you will feel differently when the spring comes and the sun comes out more? It's just not a good time to sell if you don't have to....

Last edited by Avalon08; 02-25-2009 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Got Wisteria mixed up with Coney

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,915 posts, read 6,238,329 times
Thanks for the support! BUT....WHEN WILL it be a "good" time to sell? Being in the last chapters of our lives....well, the book is closing soon, and I want to get out before the covers slam shut!

This is all such a mess -- I know we're not the only ones -- it's happening all over the world. At least we have each other.......

((((((Every Woman Here!)))))

Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,884,536 times
There are times when all you can really do is just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
One good piece of advise I got from a psychologist -- about the only good advice from that one but that's a whole 'nother story -- was to concentrate on "one bag at a time."
I was talking about being overwhelmed by all that I wanted to do and accomplish and I needed to get things cleaned up and physical baggage thrown out but every time I thought about starting I get discouraged because there was so much to do.
She told me to just worry about getting rid of one garbage bag of junk a day or a week or whatever I could handle.
Wisteria, decide to do one thing this weekend. One thing and only one thing. Take one bag of trash to the dump. Or prep one wall for painting. Or clean out one drawer. Or six inches of a closet bar.
One thing. Accomplish it and stop. You don't have to do more than that one thing this weekend.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,948,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
There are times when all you can really do is just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
One good piece of advise I got from a psychologist -- about the only good advice from that one but that's a whole 'nother story -- was to concentrate on "one bag at a time."
I was talking about being overwhelmed by all that I wanted to do and accomplish and I needed to get things cleaned up and physical baggage thrown out but every time I thought about starting I get discouraged because there was so much to do.
She told me to just worry about getting rid of one garbage bag of junk a day or a week or whatever I could handle.
Wisteria, decide to do one thing this weekend. One thing and only one thing. Take one bag of trash to the dump. Or prep one wall for painting. Or clean out one drawer. Or six inches of a closet bar.
One thing. Accomplish it and stop. You don't have to do more than that one thing this weekend.
Such good advice for us all!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,505,219 times
Nothing to add, just checking in on this very cold winter's day in New York.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-25-2009, 05:37 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Thanks for the support! BUT....WHEN WILL it be a "good" time to sell? Being in the last chapters of our lives....well, the book is closing soon, and I want to get out before the covers slam shut!

This is all such a mess -- I know we're not the only ones -- it's happening all over the world. At least we have each other.......

The news just reported yet more falling house prices and huge inventory. There is something to be said about getting your house ready for sale but not necessariuly selling it. After all, you could enjoy less clutter and the spruced up property. The advice given aobut planning what exactly you will do if a buyer comes along is good. Contingencies are important. At our age, camping out under a bridge in a car is not very appealing when we find out we sold our house but have no other abode lined up. You can put your stuff into a storage unit but they really frown on people and animals moving into those units.

I'm not seeing how this housing market can recover until they get rid of the zombie banks that for all intents and purposes are already bankrupt. If they are so dead that they cannot make loans, houses can't sell at any price. If they are that dead, then they need to go into receiveorship and be reorganized, letting the bad assests die off. How can any recovery start until that cancer is cut out?

My 2 old cats are chasing each other - they must be feeling good tonight despite me getting home late.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,884,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

Ask Suze Orman! She's got a form on her website you can fill out and maybe she'll have you on her show to discuss it. I'm sure it's a topic a lot of people would be interested in.
http://www.suzeorman.com/igsbase/igs...isis&GnavID=42
I know she's very interested in helping women manage money. I think that question would be something she would like to deal with on the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement