U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 12:02 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,557,373 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say that everytime I scroll past this thread, my eyes register the title as" Sticky Women Moving Alone to a New City/State! " Anybody else or is it just weird ole me??? Sorry, don't mean to offend - just can't seem to get past this and its kinda funny

Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,893,512 times
A big problem with moving to a place "that no one else wants" is the lack of medical services. Not just for big things, but mainly for the day-to-day aches and pains which happen as you age.
Right now, I've started having problems with a Sciactia nerve in my back and a vein in my leg. Both knees are shot and have been for some time.
I'm lucky to have a lot of treatment options close by. If I had to drive 30-40 minutes to get to a chiropractor or a orthopedist or physical therapist -- and I'm seeing them 2-3 times a week -- I wouldn't make it. It's hard or impossible to drive when your legs and back hurt and those always seem to be the first to go.
And being able to walk and sit without a lot of pain has a major effect on quality of life, no matter where you live. It's something to keep in mind.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,064,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Just wanted to say that everytime I scroll past this thread, my eyes register the title as" Sticky Women Moving Alone to a New City/State! " Anybody else or is it just weird ole me??? Sorry, don't mean to offend - just can't seem to get past this and its kinda funny
Thanks for the big laugh!

Being too isolated is something I worry about as I grow older. I live outside a big city in the countryside and have enjoyed it a lot. But I can see this place getting to be too much for me as I get older. I try to envision how living inside a city would be for me and how living there would be as get to be a doddering old lady. I see senior buses in the city that seem to pick up people and take them ... somewhere. I want to be independent for as long as I possibly can but if I need help, I want to be in a place where I can get it.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,247,221 times
Hi Everyone!

I was without computer access for a few days....Comcast finally came out on Sunday and "fixed" it for now. I didn't realize how much I depended on this computer thingy until I didn't have it! It's my link to the outside world!

This is what I'm thinking. Those with me, let me know. Obviously, we have some good writers on here. I'd like to send out a group "article" or "news alert" or whatever we call it to various magazines/news sources. We are just the tip of the proverbial Boomer iceberg! Our problems of trying to find an affordable place as women moving alone will only grow bigger as more women join us in age. I am willing to write it all up, or to collaborate with someone on this.

Money magazines, news magazines, television sources, anything to get the word out. A media blitz!!

The reason I mention this is because I got to thinking how we might find more resources and information if more people knew about us, and this idea came from something that happened recently.

At work, we have a probation officer who has donated her time, voluntarily, to form a soccer team comprised of gang kids on opposing gangs (this is a big deal). Now that she's aware it was me who nominated her for an award, I guess it's okay to write about it. At any rate, I nominated her for a local television award for people who do good things in their community. She's done a great job and I felt she should receive recognition for it.

As a result, they did....now I discover... at least 3 television segments on her and her team -- just as a result of my letter of nomination. Here is the link:
Soccer Helps Kick Gangs To The Curb - Central Coast News Story - KSBW The Central Coast (http://www.ksbw.com/news/18781531/detail.html - broken link)
This morning, she called me and told me that she had pressured them to give her the name of the individual who nominated her (I wanted to keep it secret), but she found out. She was thrilled that someone had taken the time to do this. It wouldn't take us that much time or work to notify places of our plight. We need the publicity! We need solutions! The media has done a good job of scaring us silly, now it's time to use the media to get a solution! Anyone with me??

That's what I think about this all. We need to get ourselves out there. We have brainstormed and brainstormed, and this will be a much bigger issue in the years to come. We are the women in the forefront. We are the leaders!

Reading these posts and seeing how separated we are in distance, yet united in cause, makes me frustrated, yet motivated. Women -- your feedback, please!! Thanks!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,014,482 times
Default NewEnglandGirl back online

Wisteria,
I agree that we aging women, who still have a lot of vitality and a lot to give, are sharing the same situation when it comes to where to retire alone and how to do it as cheaply as possible. My only concern is that if the story "gets out there," certain places can become saturated with population, as is now happening in NC, also because many older single men and retiring couples will also want to go to the recommended places. When a place becomes overpopulated, the infrastructure is strained and the prop taxes go up and we're right back in the same boat. I have to laugh at Money Mag and Forbes, etc, for the places that they recommend for retiring...I couldn't touch those places with a ten foot pole they are so expensive! Some of the women on this thread are better off than others, financially, and so what might be good ideas for some may not work for others. But I also think that women gathering together in some way is the way to go, as we need to look out for each other and suggest resources. Maybe we could start a list of all the concerns and needs, and then approach a planner to see how they can all be accommodated (?). It would be good to find out the actual facts of women's situations. BTW, are you actively looking for a place to move now, or do you have several years before you decide? One huge thing to wonder about is how bad the economy can get, and whether it's wise to take action now or take a wait and see attitude (which we all know can have it's downside)...

Old 03-03-2009, 04:50 PM

8,239 posts, read 18,540,091 times
we can all relocate there and make our own community! Above all, we must consider our age, and safety first. Does any of this make sense

hi Newenglandgirl,
All of it makes tons of sense.

If you have time look back at the first fifty posts (way before the stock market crash was even imagined.... that is how old this thread is ) on this thread and that is exactly what we were talking about doing . I think we decided to call it "crazytown" (but we were open for suggestions).

Right now I am sitting looking out of my window watching huge snowdrifts turn an ugly grey and brown color. BEAUTIFUL ) a green and warm place, that is on my list.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,407,843 times
Wisteria & Newenglandgirl -

Congrats on your actions that made it possible for the Probabation Officer to get the recognition she so rightly deserved!! Everyone likes to be appreciated. (any fights with these gangs members).

As much as I want to get all this over with (the move, the recession, etc...) nobody is listening to me.

I definitely refuse to accept just staying put as a final solution, however, there are so many variables yet unknown. What will our funds look like when this is all over with? Will my little cute cottage now be a tent? How big of a tent can I get in the various spots I'm looking at or will I have to start over with the research? Just as N-E-G just received her bad news about that incredible property tax hike - I think many of us will see a hike as well (let's just hope it isn't that high!!!)

Don't know....................makes me want to spit.

What do we tell the media - that we're confused? "Get in line..."

Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,247,221 times
NewEnglandGirl, I understand what you mean about a place becoming popular -- that's what happened to Boulder, Colorado, where I used to live.

I'm just frustrated with the economy. I'm 61 now and still working, and the only way I can stay in my home is to keep working....so it's either no retirement, or "try" to sell this house....but I hear no one's buying....so what to do?

In a way, I'd like to hang on because my daughter goes to college nearby, but on the other hand, I'd like to sell (if I can) to try to get some equity out of this house (I still owe a hefty amount). It is so confusing.

So, in answer to your question, if I could sell now and make it, I could "retire" with a small ten-year pension from my job here and then Social Security at the end of the year, or, hopefully, wait a few years to collect. Or, I could keep working and building my pension and Social Security, but then what? What if I get nothing for my house (break even), or worse? I don't know. If I knew the economy would be "okay" later, I'd rather wait a couple of years to be sure I have enough pension and S.S. But....is it worth it? No one knows -- that's the frustration!

I am not financially "secure." I have nothing other than my pension and S.S., and, if I'm okay, a little house equity. That's it. So, I'm definitely looking for "affordable." Fortunately, I am not materialistic and I am frugal. I never married that rich man and divorced him -- hahaha!

I know what you mean by those magazines that try to market upscale retirement places -- it's obvious who their target population is! And I can tell you, it's not me!

I am trying to do a lot of self-talk and realize that I may just end up dying here....what if I can't sell...or maybe I could rent the place for what I pay for mortgage...but then I'm only breaking even and still have to pay for another place...and I'm not keen on having unknown tenants.

I think most of us have pretty similar needs and desires in a place -- it's the "where," I think that is tripping us up.

I'm not sure what you mean by a planner, though -- a financial planner? (See, I'm not too up on this stuff....)

Right now it is very dark, raining, wind blowing, and yucky out -- once it is sunny again, I may feel more optimistic...right now, I don't. I may have to just cut the news programs out -- I think they are depressing me.

Let's keep on truckin' and see what we come up with. Maybe a summer get-together -- a long weekend or four or five days someplace? Something fun, but a way to meet and talk more about options. A fun retreat! I sure could use some fun right now, because this economy is not fun!

Nancy and MN2CO, you beat me to posting! Haha! I was writing and you were submitting! At any rate: I agree!!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,014,482 times
Default NewEnglandGirl STILL online!

Well I just squandered (?) another hour or two doing my usual daily research into places where I can live without runnng out of money before I am 70. sEveral top economists are even questioning the stability of social security, so I wonder if I should apply at 62 instead of my full retirement age. The SS payments will be pathetic so the savings and the proceeds from the house here are it for me! Another thing to consider is subsidized housing for senior citizens...what are the requirements, income minimum and max, and where in the country is there the nicest senior housing? (I do not mean that pricey assisted living!). I think that many of us in our 60s do not really want the burden and expense of owning a home, but renting from a landlord may also be an unstable situation for us as we get older. I'm amazed that the sociologists have done nothing whatsoever to plan for this huge challenge of the baby boomer retiring (single) woman....

Old 03-03-2009, 05:33 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,924,470 times
I think people should do as I have and post here if they know of a place near that's available they've found is in a convenient and affordable place so that others can get the real low down and have a friendly face when they arrive.

The media may take an interest in your concept Wisteria and produce some articles. But, as we all know single older women, not to mention those women who are poor, are not exactly a high priority in the greater world.

I was stunned in a couple of cases when I found out that when the male of a couple had passed that their pension went bye-bye (often by their choice) leaving the female with practically nothing. Social Security can also leave a female disadvantaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement