U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,884,536 times

Advertisements

There's no state income tax in Tennessee. Pensions aren't taxed. Investments may be if they're not invested through a Tennessee something or other. I don't have any of those so don't know.
My condo fee runs $120 a month for a 2-bedroom, 2-full bath garden unit. It has stayed at that for a long time. Being an older, established complex, they've got a good cash flow and surplus. Property taxes are low, too, and you can have them frozen when you turn 65.
I don't think the heat is bad here at all. It's much less humid than Washington, D.C. where I lived for many years. I rarely run the AC during the day in the summer. I open the sliding screen door and get a nice breeze in.
It's a lot warmer than New England, though.
Generally, the weather is gentle. We have high heat (anything over 90 is sweltering by TN standards) for a few days and below freezing for a few days, but it never lasts that long. No hurricanes or tornados so insurance rates are low.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I sent for the reloc package from the Knoxville Chamber of Commerce and am now getting all kinds of stuff - mostly on apartments (?). Two realtors have called - and you're right - everyone's so polite I feel like I'm talking to my minister.

I'm also not ready for the old folks home - not by a long shot. Younger people help keep you younger. I just don't want any type of HOA where the vote is for a new playground and most everyone has little kids.
There's a condo you might like. I saw a sign out for it today. It's called the Nicholas. It's near downtown, on a main street in the Old Money section.
It's MLS 635119. It's a neat old building, sort of a like a Spanish Monastery. Lots of Old World charm. Buildings can get whimsical in Knoxville.
There are a lot well designed condos ini Knoxville, particularly the older complexes. They put some thought into it.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
Default Thanks

Knox..- Thanks - I'll check it out - love that type of area - lots of charm.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times
Default Knoxgarden, from NEG

Knoxgarden, what are some of the areas to avoid, in looking for a condo (crime, high traffic, too many students or families, etc). Is there a general section of the city that's better than others, that is not too far out in the suburbs?

Thanks for all your good info!

NewEnglandGirl

Old 03-06-2009, 10:37 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,910 posts, read 6,238,329 times
Active adult communities Topretirements

I found this link interesting. Talking about Boomers, in particular. Yep, we are going to change the way the world thinks about aging now!

Janb, thanks, I'll check into that co-housing information. I realize it will take a lot of work, but something has to be designed to meet the needs of -- what I guess are -- millions of people (women, in particular), like us.

Back to work.... See ya later!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 AM

Wisteria - Great link - I appreciate your efforts and tenacity on this. We are dealing with a new situation due to this ugly recession. Many people that thought they had prepared will find themselves hurting.

Let me know if there is something you would like me to do. I'm wondering about the approach - we are all obviously looking at different locations (some will be the same). Also, timeframes will be different (natually) as boomers cover a large timeframe and many have the 10 ton elephant to find a new owner for (our lovely homes with the white picket fences and carefully cared for gardens )

You mentioned earlier that the media has us scared silly - you couldn't be more right. I'm now starting to get mad about this as well.

Have a good weekend!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Knoxgarden, what are some of the areas to avoid, in looking for a condo (crime, high traffic, too many students or families, etc). Is there a general section of the city that's better than others, that is not too far out in the suburbs?

Thanks for all your good info!

NewEnglandGirl
Downtown has undergone a renaissance in the last 10 years and there are lots of buildings transformed into condos and lofts that are wonderful. They're too pricey for students. They're attracting a lot of 30-somethings as well as empty-nesters and retirees. It's a safe area, lots to do and free trolleys that run during the day. Knoxville has a very pretty downtown, right on the river.
Downtown Knoxvillle
Activites downtown center on Market Square. You'll find everything from an Opera Festival to a Farmer's Market.
http://www.knoxvillemarketsquare.com/

Students stick to the Ft. Sanders area around the University and South Knoxville. That and East Knoxville is more of a blue collar area.
You'll find most of the condos west of downtown. Good areas are Sequoyah Hills (old money, wonderful area, gorgeous gardens, on the river, some real bargains there), Bearden (funky, arty part of town. several independent bookstores, lots of chef owned restaurants), West Knoxville, Fountain City (first trolley car suburb and a nice little town) and the Inskip/Cedar Lane area (all North of Downtown), areas along Northshore drive and Westland.
Farragut is far west. You'll find more McMansions there and new condos. Turkey Creek is a huge shopping complex in Far West.
I live in near West Knoxville. There are lots of condos around me of varying ages. Zip is 37923. Good, safe convenient area with good schools.
You won't find condos in "bad" areas such as they are.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:48 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
On the subject of combining forces in retirement, here is an article I ran across on my train ride home: Is the Future Going Down the Drain? Baby Boomers Going Bust | Corporate Accountability and WorkPlace | AlterNet

It talks about how the hard times are forcing we baby boomers into trying different ways of coping.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:53 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,948,496 times
Very interesting article! Thanks for posting the link.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Default Good article

Tesaje- Great article - Doesn't this just pi-- you off? How did this happen?

The bit on Intentional Communities sounds too much like cult living.

Where do you plan to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement