U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 08:02 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,550,474 times

Advertisements

I love reading this thread! I'm happy I left Illinois and settled in Wisconsin but I'd like to visit "crazy town"! :-)

Artyst I think upstate New York would be a great place to have a studio. I've never been an AZ fan, think the 4 seasons would be more inspiring, conducive to an art form.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,610,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
i'm planning on moving from phoenix, az to upstate new york next summer. i'm going to retire early from teaching and buy a building in upstate ny for a studio/gallery and start a new life
Where in upstate NY? Some parts are good and some are not so good......where are you thinking about moving to?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:02 PM

482 posts, read 2,203,661 times
I found this thread and just love it! While I am not a single retiree, I probably will be one day and it scares me. My husband is 12 years older than I am and 14 years ago I really didn't think about it but now that we are approaching retirement, he is already, I will in Dec. 2009, I realize if probability plays its hand, I am likely to be alone in retirement at some point down the road. I love reading about you ladies who are already alone, some of you never married, and how you are just following your heart, not needing anyone else to be there. I am a worrier and have always been afraid of being alone, I don't like to admit but it is the truth. But I can see from this thread that I won't be alone if that day comes, I hope I meet ladies like you when I retire so I have a good circle of friends too......you all sound just so independent and driven!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:20 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
But I believe it's anomoly's HOME town !!!!
Hey, I just now read that! ..there is some Truth there...
Now staying on TOPIC, I will have a response for Wisteria by Friday on my planned Singles Retirement Community !
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I can't wait to hear it!!!

and if there can be a town called Truth or Consequences , why can't we have a town called .....Crazy Town , just for us ?
Hey, I just read that too! There certainly isn't any Truth in Truth or Consequences!
Hate to tell ya, I got hooked on "Celebrity Rehab", and one of the guys was the lead singer for the band "CrazyTown".

I think I like the term "LadyBug"!!!!
(broken link)
€ When the temperature is about 59 degrees Fahrenheit, lady bugs become active.
€ Ladybugs hibernate in cold weather.
€ Lady bugs are cold blooded.
€Lady bugs go through complete metamorphosis.
€ Not all lady bugs are female.
Ladybirds are generally considered useful insects as many species feed on aphids or scale insects, which are pests in gardens, agricultural fields, orchards, and similar places.
Some people consider seeing them or having them land on one's body to be a sign of good luck to come, and that killing them presages bad luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:56 PM

648 posts, read 2,683,188 times
xz2y, i don't know where i will end up. i'm going in june to look for areas that i like. there are many factors to consider, but i'm confident that i will find my new hometown

Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,610,924 times
Good luck to you, artyst. There are some beautiful areas in the Finger Lakes region and the upper northern section of the state. Also, some areas are a bit economically depressed (mid-section Utica, Rome, Syracuse, etc). But those areas would have affordable real estate. It's a beautiful state and of course the Catskills are also wonderful, though more expensive, but with easier access to NYC and all it has to offer for an artist.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:57 PM

433 posts, read 992,028 times
I can't believe I just found this discussion! I've read city-data for years while trying to decide where to retire, but I didn't realize until today that there are general forums.

Much of what I've read in this thread resonates with me. I recently retired from my job and I'm torn by indecision because I have so many options and no one to please but myself. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and like the climate, but I worry about earthquakes and I can't afford to buy here. I want to move and either buy a condo or rent a nice apartment. I like to walk all year around both for exercise and for routine errands, so a moderate climate is important. My main concern is walkability: Although I still have a driver's license, I sold my car ten years ago and I would like to continue to be happily carfree. This means living in an area that has sidewalks and a real downtown.

My husband died 20 years ago, so I'll be living alone. I enjoy being by myself, but I also enjoy going places, particularly out to dinner, with others. Here in the Bay Area, traffic is so bad that getting together takes careful negotiation, so I'd love to live in a slower-paced area.

Like some of you, I've considered and rejected Portland. My late mother loved Las Cruces and I visited her there several times in the nineties. I've also considered Minneapolis, but I probably couldn't take the bitter cold. Although I grew up in the midwest, I moved to California many years ago.

I'm not looking for particular suggestions on where to move. I just wanted to chime in, tell you a little about myself, and say "right on, sisters!"

Old 03-21-2008, 10:02 PM

648 posts, read 2,683,188 times
i started my search online. one fun place to visit is ****.com. i researched demographics of different places, went to chamber of commerce websites of different towns, i checked weather statistics and i looked at real estate on realtor.com and remax.com to get an idea of the cost of housing. good luck in your search for the perfect place!!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:38 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
I'm not looking for particular suggestions on where to move. I just wanted to chime in, tell you a little about myself, and say "right on, sisters!"
Welcome to this thread and well, welcome to Crazy Town, riverbird.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
Welcome, Riverbird!

I'm another Bay Area person here. I still have New Mexico first on my list, but am also open to other suggestions. I, too, am looking for walkable, affordable, places to gather with new friends, and sunshine!

What do you think about Las Cruces??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.