U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 05:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Berea, KY, might be a good place for a retreat. It's in Southeast KY, just off I-75.
It's the home of Berea College and the folk art and craft capital of Kentucky.
It's a neat little town. The College was founded to give young adults in Appalachia a college education. No tuition is charged but they are expected to work at various jobs and crafts. It teaches traditional crafts and keeps those alive and a lot of craftspeople came to teach and now live there. I seriously considered moving there for a while.
Berea
The college has created an ecovillage for some of the students. It's an interesting plan.
Berea College - SENS - Ecovillage
The college runs Boone Tavern that's just been restored.
Boone Tavern Hotel & Restaurant
I've actually conducted some retreats and have found convents/monasteries a remarkably inexpensive setting, often including meals and modest single rooms (rather than shared). If we could find something like that....

As far as place for a retreat, I think I'd vote for Knoxville, as Knox is there and seems very knowledgeable, and also others have expressed interest in this area. Any convents/monasteries/low-cost retreat centers around there?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:50 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Quote:
Livecontent: When I first came to Colorado, I lived in the tiny town of Niwot, northeast of Boulder. It was surrounded by farms. Today, it is bigger but there is still substantial open country around the area.
I know this sounds kind of nutty being as there are many people in the area, however, Niwot really was tiny at one point (I was in Boulder during the 1980s) and ... do you know...David Levick? He used to raise honey bees, amongst other things.....

If I had other people around me, I could do Colorado again....I adored Boulder when I was there, but I do feel the atmosphere has changed an awful lot. Lafayette and Louisville are nice, though -- small and charming. Longmont...that's kind of a mixed bag -- still got some seedy sections. Ft. Collins -- haven't spent time outside of downtown there, but it's got the college, and easy to get to the mountains.

Quote:
mmhere: There are parts of California that are beautiful but not overly expensive. They usually are located in places that are fairly remote in the northern part of the state. Although it can get snow, the areas around Lake Shasta and Weed are beautiful. Closer to the coast is Humboldt County with the Redwoods. Eureka and Arcata land prices are comparatively reasonable.

Are you a writer? I'm a retired journalist -- lots of writing, photography, editing, and web pages.

Cheers!
Marganne

P.S. I live in Sacramento now but have lived in Placerville and Auburn.
I was actually looking into Lake Shasta but wondered if it wasn't a bit too far from services? I don't think I've been to Weed. I can't remember the names of all the towns I've been through That area of California would definitely be open to me! Auburn -- I love that town -- but it IS expensive!

Yes, I do some writing -- haven't had much time to keep up, but have had articles published. I'd like to get back into it again. Raising my daughter the last 18 years on my own, kind of took the wind out of my writing sails! I need to retire to get some free time to start again.

Sounds like Colorado is getting a "yes" more than other places, so far. I have to admit, being from the eastcoast, I thought the weather in Colorado would be fierce .... and it is actually quite mild in comparison. Until I lived in Colorado, I never saw snow that actually melted within a day! And I never saw snow that looked like "Tide!" (that dry, little pellet-looking stuff). So, to me, winter there was quite different and very tolerable. I remember 70 degree days in February!

I think maybe a nice, inexpensive motel in a town we want to explore -- set up some nice sight-seeing activities, too -- would be good. That way, no one person has to do the work to host us, and we'd have the advantage of being able to just go around the town we're in, check it out, talk to locals, and things of that sort.

All good ideas. I think we're on a roll!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
Not much to add, just count me in.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I also think Anomoly's idea of speaking on the phone once in a while is good. Maybe the retreat will make us more comfortable in doing that!
We might use the free conference call system to have a group call. freeconferencecall.com is one place, but there are others. Somebody signs up for a free account, gets a phone number and PIN, and then everybody dials in and pays only for long distance.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Quote:
I was actually looking into Lake Shasta but wondered if it wasn't a bit too far from services? I don't think I've been to Weed.
I know that area quite well, tho it has been many years. Lake Shasta is very, very hot in the summer - only slightly cooler than Redding because of the water. It is very mild in winter. Redding is not far but it is definitely a car dependent place. It is the main small city of the area and where people come to shop and get medical care from many miles around. Some 10 years ago, I drove from Eureka to Redding and was amazed at how the Trinity Alps mountains to the west of Redding were so unchanged and no more populated than in the 70's. The area is quite pretty with the mountains all around except in the dead heat of the summer with the bad air obliterating the mountains. Lake Shasta is more of a summer tourist/boating/recreation area but some people do live there - not at all urban and services tend towards that sort of activity. Not your walkable city environment.

Weed is a odd sort of little mountain town on the north side Mt. Shasta. It has its hippies and artists There are old native american tales of magical creatures on that side of Mt. Shasta. It's up around 3000-4000 ft or so - so it will get winter snows but it is cooler than the lowlands. Medford is probably closer for shopping than anything else. There's the small towns of Yreka and Mt Shasta with Ashland, OR not too terribly far. Ashland is pretty artsy but expensive. I think Weed was named for the weeds around and not marijuana, but dopers love the place. There is more of a quaint small town to Mt. Shasta.

If you thought Chico was remote, Redding is more so and Weed is very much in the boonies. One place I might have considered if I wanted small and remote is Susanville on the east side of Mt. Lassen. Pretty and not so hot in the summer.

Last edited by Tesaje; 03-19-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 07:38 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Nancy, You really have to stop being so hard to get along with - you know I'm kidding.

I was having a really crap day until I read Anomoly's post on this get together and then - whalla - it all got better!! I think I need to get away from this house. When are we doing this? Next week?

If you all decide on a town/city/state - I'll be glad to research motels based on needs/discounts (AAA, AARP, whatever...). Will everyone want a separate room or will two people share a room with 2 separate beds? We're all trying to save $$ so I'b be Ok with sharing a room (my dogs will sleep with me!!)

I REALLY need to get out of dodge. I just agreed to go with an old co-worker to open her cabin and get it ready for SUMMER!!!! Nice break. You have no idea all the people that choose to retire in northern MN - whatever the weather is in Mpls - it's ten times worse there.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Dancingearth, do you mind my asking what state you are in, and what you pay annually for property taxes?
Thanks...
NEG
I'm in Santa Fe NM. My property tax for last year was $458 but I think it will change. My understanding is that is based on the lot right now (new housing development) and they try keep it low for a couple of years because of the affordable housing program that I bought the house through. When I lived in Eldorado they were also low compared to the east coast but I can't remember what I paid - seemed around $1,000-1,500 for two acres and 1,000 sq. ft house.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
Quote:
I know this sounds kind of nutty being as there are many people in the area, however, Niwot really was tiny at one point (I was in Boulder during the 1980s) and ... do you know...David Levick? He used to raise honey bees, amongst other things.....
ok:
I was already Denver in the 1980s...Longmont is very much changed since that time. Yes, it still has some difficult areas but not as much. I like it because it has a dense urban center with nice older homes that are well served by public transit...

At one time, I was going to relocate their but now I think Denver is much more appealing than it was years ago. Denver has really changed and many of the neighborhoods are coming back to great little walkable areas. The story in Today's Denver Post is about how Denver is growing and attracting many people Colorado growth goes urban - The Denver Post

What you remember about Denver--it is much changed. The brown cloud is much, much less. Denver and the older inner suburbs of Denver are really some of the nicest places to live. Living in Arvada, I am so very close to Downtown; I even walked home once. North Denver is becoming a magnet to new creative people and being quickly gentrified--it is like the appeal of Washington Park area was in the 80s.

Colorado Springs is nice but I would not live there because it does not have the available public transit like Denver. In addition, the VA hospital is in Denver, where I unfortunately get some service. Also, I am not keen about living in a city that has a big Army Infantry Fort because it attract many difficult hard people who are in that branch of the military and attracts those who live off their rough lifestyle. That is why the southern part of the Springs, near the base, is not the most ideal place to live. Being a veteran, assigned to combat units, I know from whence I am talking.

We are about the same age and looking at your picture, I cannot think that we ever met but my memory is fading..Since we both grew up in Cheektowaga, NY we know...The suburbs around Denver are certainly not like the suburbs of Cheektowaga which had little or no public transit but here, it always extended to the suburbs. Remember Cheektowaga had no town center. Going to the movies, your closest movie theatre was the Bailey or the Genesee in Buffalo The first theatre in Cheektowaga was the Holiday Showcase on Union--remember, in about the mid 60s. Cheektowaga was a dump--few parks, weeds and filth along the creeks, no trails.., and it is falling into decay today, as the City of Buffalo declines, especially the east side. The suburbs around Denver have always been much better than any Cheektowaga, has ever been. My family has no more ties there and we will never go back to that discriminatory ignorant culture--I am of Italian descent...well, I do not have to explain.

Livecontent

Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I think one of the most desirable areas would be to look areas around Louisville City of Louisville Home Page Lafayette City of Lafayette - HOME in Boulder County which is east of the city of Boulder. In addition, I think Longmont City of Longmont, Boulder County, Colorado; Official Government Website is very nice town with good transportation It is less expensive; the towns have small older areas and Lafayette is where the first Co-housing community was built Nyland Cohousing | Reinventing Community in Lafayette, Colorado (6 miles east of Boulder)........
Thanks for sharing this information. I had been looking at Ft. Collins, but after checking into Lafayette after reading your message, it looks worth considering. Boulder seemed too expensive for me, but this is close enough to be able to get to Boulder easily. Are there any particular differences you find between Lafayette and Louisville?

How much of an issue is the tornado risk? I grew up in Ohio and the mention of tornadoes on the Front Range kind of concerns me.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
Thanks for sharing this information. I had been looking at Ft. Collins, but after checking into Lafayette after reading your message, it looks worth considering. Boulder seemed too expensive for me, but this is close enough to be able to get to Boulder easily. Are there any particular differences you find between Lafayette and Louisville?

How much of an issue is the tornado risk? I grew up in Ohio and the mention of tornadoes on the Front Range kind of concerns me.
Tornadoes do not form easily, close to the foothills. So, the western suburbs of Denver, Boulder and the any community hugging the foothills it is very rare. In over thirty years I have only see two funnels and heard of one event in a significant event in Thornton, a suburbs north of Denver. There may have been more but I do not remember it to be of issue in the Denver Metro area. I have seen many reports of severe Tornadoes east of Denver, in the plains. but I just cannot note in my memory any of significance in Boulder County but there has been heavy wind damage in boulder that may or may not have been a tornado.

The difference I think between these towns is that Louisville has a bigger old area and is significantly more built up than Lafayette, though Lafayette population is a little larger. They are in areas growing together. The growing extending new housing developments of both towns are similar in character.

If I was going to live in one of the towns, again I would live in the Dense older parts, not the new developments--I would probably pick ???? they both appeal to me. However, the older part of Louisville is planned to have a commuter rail station, just east of the main street downtown. It might be a good investment. However, old Lafayette has a simplistic charm and they are trying to develop a transit oriented development around the Park n' Ride.

At one time, both towns were more significantly tied into Boulder than Denver, for transportation and services but it is changing with the City/County of Broomfield having more of a significant influence. Broomfield was once part of Boulder County but has formed a separate county and now has most of the shopping in the area, along 287 and the Flatirons Mall which is in Broomfield.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement