U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times

Advertisements

You can make up a spreadsheet and keep somewhere online with quantitative analysis + a way to search regions + desires and then add data from each area. But don't want to be reinventing the wheel (retirement sites do this, but not often with data relevant to me.) I can see real value to having an interactive database of search criteria. (folks think of stuff, I do not + we each 'Weight' our preferences differently... I can do without pets, but must have lap swimming; no TV, but library is important)

I would suggest doing this since not all can travel, or desire certain regions. Maybe there is a 'data' or 'files' section here on C-D?

Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Default A Poll

We need to have a moderator to see if we can do a poll within this thread, since this is what we are looking at. All the other polls I've seen are on a separate thread -- I do not know if or how we can merge a poll into here, although I think it's a good idea.

Any mods out there lurking here?? Thanks!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Tesjae, where is it that you are considering? I forgot. I've noticed that you do not like hot weather
I'm sorry, I did not mean to sound negative - just to give a clear picture of what specific areas are really like and the attitudes towards them that I have heard form people from different areas. I grew up in the west and want to go back. I miss spectacular vistas and the western vibe.

I've been living in the mid-Atlantic region for many years and have traveled to points west with life-long easterners many times, so I get a perspective different from mine. What you are used to really affects how you react to different areas. People say Denver is a mild climate but it is really fairly harsh. It is just that the weather changes so much that it is mild sometimes and harsh at other times and that can happen quickly. Some like that a lot, others are taken aback.

I have my eye on Portland, OR but I have made no definite decisions yet. I like NM and parts of AZ as well as most of western CO. I really do not want a place with hot summers. I've spent way too many years in them and they enervate me. I'd rather have a cold and dreary winter with nice summers than the opposite. With global warming, I've noticed places that used to be very mild in summer are getting hotter . This is just a personal preference. I don't want to go back to CA - too expensive and the places I like best are way too expensive.

Other places I have considered are Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Denver, Bend, Flagstaff.

Every place has its pluses and minuses and minuses. Some of us will like it better than others depending on ourselves and experiences.

Quote:
I'm just not keen on the Bible Belt. I've had some very bad experiences with Born Again Christians [one which destroyed several long years of my life, I'm sad to say] (I apologize to any who may be on here), and I don't think I could handle a whole town of people focused on church as the main social activity (sorry, Knox...).
I'm with you on this one. It isn't my thing either. That isn't to say that I have not met many lovely people in and from the south. I have. Plus I don't much like the summer weather in the SE.

But I think it would be very interesting to have a get together and even tho I would not move to the SE, exchanging ideas for how to formulate our elder lives is very useful. It is just that in my last year on the job, I need to save all my leave so free time is limited. Next year, it is as I choose.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:09 PM

84 posts, read 191,449 times
Smile Coops and communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
There is an "intentional" community that was built in Greenbelt, MD, by the Federal Government during the New Deal.
It's still alive and well and functioning as a Coop. Even though it is near DC and its high housing market, you can still get a home there for $170,000 or less.
Thank you very much for posting this information. I'm always interested in looking a different forms to meet the type of goals we've talked about. Haven't looked specifically at coops, but have heard good things.

What about going in a totally opposite direction? Locate a place, then identify a street (maybe a cul-de-sac?) where people can buy. Might be more difficult, but, in time, it could bring a lot of like minded people together.

Another option is to find a location and large lot or acerage that can withstand multiple structures -- maybe 4? Buy the acerage (one person or altogether). Have it be large enough so there would be just the right amount of space between the homes.

For people who want to live downtown, condos are the big thing. Very low maintenance and nice prices. Personally, I live in a condo now and am missing having an area for gardening. Another option I've thought about is to buy the largest place you can find in an area where everyone wants to try living. I've seen some that have 5 to 10 bedrooms! Many have more than one structure on the lot. That way people could own or rent with plenty of room for privacy.

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Default The perfect retirement place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I also love older homes for their character but I've been there....and hate working on them. I've lived in several and I don't necessarily think they are built any better than new homes--probably a similar ratio as today.
Yes, that can be a problem. Although I'd love to remodel a home with help, I wouldn't be physically up to it. Here's a philosophy I've developed when thinking about where to live: It's more important to identify an area or region. If the region is right, the perfect home will appear within your price range. It's kind of like not worrying if the 'perfect' house shows up and you can't buy it then. Another always will be on the market later at the right time.

Quote:
My new home is small (1,100 sq ft.) and energy efficient and has solar hot water. I haven't paid over $100 for gas and electric this winter and that was without the solar.
Good for you!!! My impression is that winter heating bills can be quite expensive in the East, especially if the structure isn't energy efficient. I never pay more than $60 a month in the summer when the AC is on most of the time. $30 or less at other times. That's one more thing to remember when selecting an area to live. Utilities have become so expensive that you have to consider them separately in your budget. (I live in a very small studio unit in a condo association, so it doesn't take much to change the temperature inside.)

Quote:
I think the only way to get a really well built home is build it yourself and know what you're doing. I'm not about to tackle that--it might fall down with the spring winds! Huff, puff.... and I'd rather be throwing pots.
I've learned a lot about this from my Small House Society mailing list. Today's modular and pre-fab homes are extremely energy efficient. They are 'built' in a factory, then disassembled and transported to your location, then reassembled, usually by people from the manufacturer. I'd plan to do that or hire people locally to do most of the work for me. I've been very impressed with how solid some of these homes can be. These aren't our mom and dad's 'mobile homes'. :-)

Quote:
When I read what everyone wants I think I have as perfect a retirement home and place as I can get--got the small yard--close to town and buses--room for my hobbies--nice neighbors--colleges--social and cultural activities--I just need to figure out how I'm going to pay for it. I don't expect to retire until 70 so maybe by then I can refinance to get the mortgage down or find the right person to share it and pay it off faster or a combination of the two.
It sounds great! Having the option to get a roommate if you need the income also is handy. That would have been my sort of plan if I hadn't become disabled at age 45. It's not something most people ever consider seriously, but it does happen a lot.

I'm very ambulatory and you can't tell I'm disabled by looking at me, but it's bad enough that I can't handle the stress of working even part time. (Or, at least, I haven't found a job where I can do that.) So I've been living on disability for close to 10 years, always hoping I'll get well enough to get off Medicare and into a job with benefits. With the way the job market is these days, maybe I'm better off getting a regular but small check and Medicare!!! All the funds I'd saved in my retirement account were spent by the time my disability insurance was approved. It's a challenge to live within this fixed income, but I am paying almost $700 a month in rent. Figured I could find something to live in where I could stay within that price range. If I'm paying rent, I might as well be paying it to myself.

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM

Wink Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Shoot, Tesaje! 2010 is a whole 'nother year away! But thanks for the 'organizer' compliment, cuz I'm thinkin': OK, so she won't be able to attend this one, but if we can still get a few for this year's 1st gathering, then NEXT year will be even easier to organize.
But, u no like LV?? cheap, lots to do, sunshine and pools! What's not to love? Then again, I'm a desert rat, huh? Beats cold weather!
Las Vegas has excellent and cheap accommodations and food. It's a good place to meet up with others because most every town in the U.S. has a special low-priced fare to LV. But ... it's in the middle of nowhere. If the purpose of the retreat is to explore places nearby, LV won't fit the bill. If your retreat is an actual retreat and meet and greet, it would be a great place, IMHO.

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 03-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Cool United Organization of Single Women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Another idea: I think we should form this into a "real" organization! Seriously. We are just a vocal minority of a very large majority of women who will be facing the same issues. I do believe that this will be a national crisis once the world discovers that there are many more women living alone on lower incomes than they ever thought! Now is our time to get out there and start a new movement!
I strongly agree with you about it becoming a new movement. I've been trolling the internet for years trying to connect people together. There were some good threads on the AARP web site, but then they disappeared. Keyword searching blogs might produce some interesting results.

Quote:
We could have a website, contact the media, set up our goals more clearly, and try for grants. Probably, we should be incorporated to protect all assets.
YIKES! LOL I think you are right, but that sounds like a LOT of work. One guy on another list decided list members needed to incorporate their own town so they could set the zoning rules and tax codes. Double YIKES!

Really would need to narrow down and identify goals. I hadn't thought of grants, but it's not a bad idea. I keep thinking that if we had the right statistics about women like us, we could make a case to the Housing Department in the federal government. My thoughts about a web site would be for marketing -- connecting with as many women in our circumstances as we could. Then there needs to be a profile area similar to what's on Face Book and other places. It would have information like what temperatures do you like, preference of west south, north, east, small or big town, etc. They'd be set up as boxes to be checked. Then anyone could search the 'database' to find people interested in the same characteristics.

Or we could just start our own town of single, low income, retiring women!!!

Quote:
I think it's worth a try to be more focused, actually legitimize our concerns, and get out there.
I could easily see this as a research project for someone's masters or doctoral project -- a big cultural change. If we all could agree on a focus, then we could get cut lose to post about it everywhere. There would be a central website to gather people. Perhaps links to lots of places on line where you can find information about quality of life and price of real estate? It sounds good to me, but the work load feels intimidating. :-)

Cheers
Marganne

Old 03-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Wink East or west?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
(FYI: I know what you mean about directions. I grew up on the west coast near the beach and my mother taught me and my sister that west was toward the ocean. Shortly after I moved to the East my sister came for a visit and we went driving to the Eastern Shore. We kept getting hopelessly lost because neither of us could get it through our heads that the ocean was now East.)
It helped me if I always thought of them as the right and left coasts. Then I visited Florida and people kept talking about their west coast and THAT confused me!

The biggest difference is the sunset is over the water in the West. Sunrise is is the East coast thing.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM

Default Stats from City Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I sure could use some stats (retirement income tax, prop tax, weather conditions, cultural stuff, Northerners being accepted, etc) that would allow me to compare issues on a scale of maybe 1 to 5, with 5 being best.
All this information is available for every state and some cities right here on City-Data. That's one of the things I like best about this site.

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 03-20-2009, 06:12 PM

Default Don't reinvent the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
You can make up a spreadsheet and keep somewhere online with quantitative analysis + a way to search regions + desires and then add data from each area. But don't want to be reinventing the wheel (retirement sites do this, but not often with data relevant to me.) I can see real value to having an interactive database of search criteria. (folks think of stuff, I do not + we each 'Weight' our preferences differently... I can do without pets, but must have lap swimming; no TV, but library is important)

I would suggest doing this since not all can travel, or desire certain regions. Maybe there is a 'data' or 'files' section here on C-D?
All of these comparative statistics are located on City-Data. I believe you can reorder the columns right on the pages. There is so much of this type of information already available on the Internet...wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel. :-) Also Google has a wonderful place where you can have a free website and database and documents that all are interactive.

Cheers!
Marganne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement