Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 06:15 PM

84 posts, read 208,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
We need to have a moderator to see if we can do a poll within this thread, since this is what we are looking at. All the other polls I've seen are on a separate thread -- I do not know if or how we can merge a poll into here, although I think it's a good idea.

Any mods out there lurking here?? Thanks!
I'm not a moderator but I'm good at developing forms where people answer questions by checking boxes. The box thing makes it easy to compare apples with oranges once you get data from a lot of people. With the popularity of profiles on social network pages, there's probably something that exists already. All we'd need to do is modify it to fit our survey points.

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,365,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
I'm very ambulatory and you can't tell I'm disabled by looking at me, but it's bad enough that I can't handle the stress of working even part time. (Or, at least, I haven't found a job where I can do that.) So I've been living on disability for close to 10 years, always hoping I'll get well enough to get off Medicare and into a job with benefits. With the way the job market is these days, maybe I'm better off getting a regular but small check and Medicare!!! All the funds I'd saved in my retirement account were spent by the time my disability insurance was approved. It's a challenge to live within this fixed income, but I am paying almost $700 a month in rent. Figured I could find something to live in where I could stay within that price range. If I'm paying rent, I might as well be paying it to myself.

Cheers!
Marganne
Yes, I know all the about medicare, disability. I was going along just fine and bam, got sick, lost my job, could not get health insurance, forced to apply for disability to get medicare and it took years before it was approved.

However, had some savings because I was at the point of buying another home. I did not do it and applied the funds to pay off my mortgage and car. Now, 14 years latter, I am still debt free, have a mortgage free home and able to live within social security. I do not live with luxury but I have learn to be content with less.

I cannot get approved for most help programs because I have too many assets--it does not take much to be over the limits.

You should look into these programs. You may qualify for the payment of Part B medicare and assistance with Part D. In addition, you can also get medicaid with medicare and you would have close to no medical expenses. But you have to apply at the county social services. In addition, since you are renting, you can get assistance for housing cost. There are many programs available. If you are paying $700 in rent, that is too much on Disability, You should be able to qualify. It does not cost to apply and be evaluated by the county.

Many people do not apply and miss many help programs. There are many little known or advertised programs and you do not have to be qualified for all to get some. But you got to be your own advocate and read, research. You have the internet and you can find good information. Ask many questions. Do not always take a no answer, just ask again and again. Most agencies do not administer the programs correctly. Even Social Security personnel do not always know their own programs correctly. Just keep pushing, remember, you are woman--let them hear you roar.

Livecontent

Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 PM

Talking You take East, I take West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I have my eye on Portland, OR but I have made no definite decisions yet. I like NM and parts of AZ as well as most of western CO. I really do not want a place with hot summers. I've spent way too many years in them and they enervate me. I'd rather have a cold and dreary winter with nice summers than the opposite. With global warming, I've noticed places that used to be very mild in summer are getting hotter . This is just a personal preference. I don't want to go back to CA - too expensive and the places I like best are way too expensive.
Portland, OR is in my top 5 places! I strongly considered trying back east, in the northeast, or in the south. Others have suggested to me that we get spoiled with the California weather. I'm beginning to think that's true. I've also been drawn to the coast of Washington state -- Whidbey Island, and other placed north of Seattle. I've made many driving trips up that way but there's still a lot of towns I'd like to explore. The closest place is Ashland, OR.

When I want to find out what things cost, I go directly to realtor.com. There I easily can get a big picture of many areas. Then I focus my search on the City-Data info about taxes and days of sunshine, etc.

Perhaps it would be best to have several groups to meet and search with each other. I have done the California, Oregon, Washington drive many times by myself, but it would be easier if I had a companion or two.

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Smile Living on Medicare

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, I know all the about medicare, disability. I was going along just fine and bam, got sick, lost my job, could not get health insurance, forced to apply for disability to get medicare and it took years before it was approved.
I'm so sorry for your circumstances, but it sure feels good to connect with other kindred souls facing the same path. I got through being sick and having surgeries, went back to work, then the owner sold the business and we all got layed off. Six months later, my long-term disability benefits were canceled. Never fear, I've learned to be my own advocate when it comes to medical care, health insurance, and disability.

Quote:
However, had some savings because I was at the point of buying another home. I did not do it and applied the funds to pay off my mortgage and car. Now, 14 years latter, I am still debt free, have a mortgage free home and able to live within social security. I do not live with luxury but I have learn to be content with less.
You are so lucky to already have been in a home. I was on the cusp of buying. Prices in California kept rising just beyond my means. Sounds like you made some good financial moves for your situation. I'm also debt free and plan to stay that way. I'm pretty frugal, but I've always been close to that way so it's not so different. I do get board without work.

Quote:
I cannot get approved for most help programs because I have too many assets--it does not take much to be over the limits.
This is one of my most frustrating things too. Even without a house, I have too many assets to qualify for all those other programs. (Mom left me a little something when she died. Now it's half of a little something!)

I'd need to 'spend my assets down' to qualify for lower income support. If I did that, I wouldn't have anything else to use to take care of myself when I'm elderly!! Makes lots of sense, eh?

This situation spurs my search for somewhere to live where it might be a bit less expensive. I'm not crazy about living in the city. I'd love to live in Placerville (about 50 miles east of Sacramento), but, then, so would everyone else. When in Portland, I checked out the cohousing project in Cedar Mills -- a suburb of Portland -- and liked it a lot. Too expensive to live there, but it felt like being in a rural area, just a mile from downtown Portland.

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 PM

12 posts, read 27,432 times
Hi again -
I have been looking into a variey of "retirement type living" options. One thing I learned is to be careful and check things out carefully. A friend, 66 years old wanted
the option of a home (you own the home, not the land), but he didn't want the bother of maintenance required for the outside, like mowing, snow removal, etc. He thought he found the ideal location in North Carolina and sent them a check for $1000 so he could be added to the waiting list. He received a pack of documents back and was asked to sign on the dotted line and return. It's a good thing he had someone look over the documents. He had been told there were maintenance fees and the taxes would be apportioned according to the size of the community. One thing they forgot to mention was that on top of monthly maintenance fees and taxes there are yearly fees... which go up yearly based on maintenance requirements, like road repair, facility building upkeep/repair, etc. A couple years ago it was only $500 a year, it has since risen to $4500 a year and the people living there don't see an end to the increases. Some are on limited incomes and weren't expected this. I guess if it sounds too good to be true, it is!
My friend has declined signing the papers and has requested his $1000 back. He also told me that many of these people are now despirate to sell, but with the high yearly maintenance fees - no one is buying...

Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,365,343 times
My next step in frugality to allow myself to save money is to never buy a car again. I have always owned new cars, mostly I paid cash and I did not finance. Now, I have a 15 year old car with 70,000 miles which is not much mileage. Perhaps it will last many more years. I do not drive much, now only about 3,000 miles a year. The car is paid, insurance is cheap because of drop collision--it is not worth having. However, insurance, maintenance and licensing does cost. I have the a disability bus pass and the buses and trains are free for me and cost a few dollars to pick me at my door.

That is one of the reason, I believe that public transportation can help the retiree with limited income. You just have to pick a place to live wisely but most of us do not when we are young. Now, it is becoming difficult for me to drive and I am fortunate that a good bus is nearby and a rail station is being built near my home with 1/3 mile.

It is not such a big deal to live without a car. I lived in NYC and in Europe and many people do not own a car in a dense well designed city. The city of Denver is forward thinking and is investing much into transportation oriented developments. Even, stores, like Walmart and Kroger, are coming out with smaller units to be able to locate into denser areas in the city. So, we will start to see smaller more walkable neighborhoods.

I live in the suburban city of Arvada but about 1.5 miles from Denver city limits. I am about 6-7 miles from Downtown Denver. The area of Denver near where I live is becoming a very desirable place for the new rich and there is increased gentrification and development. The area has numerous lakes and large parks and being close to Downtown makes it a good place for people who now want that urban experience.

I live within a 1/3 mile of a King Soopers (Krogers), a drug store, movie theatre, restaurants, garages, numerous banks and multiple smaller stores. In addition, down the road on the major bus route is Walmart, 1.3 miles, and 3.5 miles a Mall. Also, I am with 1 block of a park, 1/3 mile of a lake/reservoir and 1 mile from trails and parks along a major water way just on the border with Denver. With the new rail station that will be coming, I will have it good.

I constantly suggest people who move to the Denver area to seek out homes near the future rail locations because you will be able to live without a car, if necessary, and you will see increased valuation in your property. Denver is now in the process of the largest expansion of commuter rail in the nation, so there are many potential good places to find a home.

Livecontent

Old 03-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,774,638 times
I concur about wanting public transportation. I absolutely hate driving. I still have other places to look at -- and it may all dramatically change if I can't sell my house for enough -- but looking at Chico, they have a pretty extensive public transportation system -- which is unusual outside of San Francisco. I would love to be car-free. When I lived in Boulder I didn't have a car for a couple of years, and had no problem.

My daughter arrived early, so we will be working the next few days on the house -- decluttering, dump runs, etc., and I have to get her up (we're night owls), so I may not be around for awhile.

In the meantime, I've attached a photo of my interview. Remember, I'm aging, too! And I'm worn out. So, I want to retire and get back into shape...I am so weary ... and I look it!

The mural in the background is on our wall of the juvenile hall where I work. We actually have a "model site," and people visit us from all over the country, and even parts of the world, to see how we run our hall. It's very innovative, and rehabilitative. Quite different from the norm. I thought it would make a good background for the photo shoot. Anyway, this is me intensely describing why I chose this individual for the award!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Default re: Wisteria and LiveContent's latest postings

re: Wisteria and LiveContent's latest postings

LiveContent, Yes, the car thing is very much on my mind. It's ridiculous to be living in the burbs and have to drive everywhere. What are property taxes like where you are? Would a New Englander have a hard time adjusting in Colorado (I've never been there).

Wisteria, I share your weariness, mostly mental. I have good physical energy and could walk for miles, but this whole thing about what to do now that I have to relocate is wearing me down, feel like I'm not getting any closer to a decision and often get cold feet, throw up my hands and decide to stay here...and then I come back to my senses and realize I cannot afford here! I am not technically retired...2 more years before I can get SS. So somehow freelance and savings have to get me through. I MUST find a cheaper place to live, and soon. And alas, i MUST get up the nerve, within the next 2 weeks or so, to put my house on the market before the market gets flooded with new listings.

Someone give me a push!!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Default And another thing...

I've been trolling real estate listings on the Net for months, just want to air some gripes...sorry, but maybe some of you have these too?...

On the Net, why can't you just find a local realtor anymore in a given location? You get all kinds of brand websites like homegain, etc. and once you get onto those sites you have to log in, providing personal info just to browse! And most of the time there is no info about property taxes and monthly fees. Why is this not a standard part of every single listing?? REALTORS TAKE NOTE: this is a turnoff! We want to be able to browse in private, and if you have a good site with complete listings including property taxes (which you can't find on 99% of your websites!!), you will have a potential customer. I will not contact realtors in any area who do not have a personal website and who require me to log in with personal info! Whatever happened to good customer relations???)

Old 03-21-2009, 12:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,993,284 times
Wisteria - You look maa-ve-lous-s! You definitely don't look anywhere near your age - that's a very good thing!!!! Congrats and I'm sure you gave a good interview Glad you have help - it just makes any ugly job much more enjoyable.

NEG - Yes, all of this ugliness is taking it's toll - I use to have energy to spare - not that long ago -but I tire all too easily these days and I know it's more mental than anything. What to do? I'm helping a friend set up her summer home (yes, it's a regular, beautiful house for soon to be retirement) and I'm just pooped - not like me at all.

Does anyone meditate - I'll try anything.

CO is great and yes, there are plenty of east coast people there. Go to the Colorado Springs forum and read Mike from back East. He loves it. I took it though that you wanted to stay close to the family?

My 15 min is up (she's a slave driver!!) - have a good and productive weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement