U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 04:52 PM

205 posts, read 359,883 times

Advertisements

Plantlover; I know what you mean. Hurricanes. In 2004 we had a direct hit by three in six weeks (Charlie, Francis, Jean). Lots of damage but no where near what you went through with Andrew. The big thing now about buying/owning a home in Florida is the hurricane insurance. One big company is leaving Florida and leaving homeowners in limbo. Not good.

Oregon is beautiful and green but winter's have a lot of rain. I love rainy days but not sure I could really tolerate endless days of that - even with the green. I too have not been real excited about a desert climate. But states like NM and AZ do have green zones. But like I said, maybe that kind of change is what I need to jump start my life again. I agree with what you said, "fear is my worst enemy." Did you ever see the movie "Shirley Valentine?" Well, I don't want to end up like Shirley's husband (getting older and afraid of change). I want to embrace those changes like Shirl did!

Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
want to move just because I want to live in a place with different attributes to where I am. I can afford to stay here if I want. This is just a place I've live in in for many years because that is where my job is, not because it is a place I particularly want to live. So, I guess I'm closer to DE's thoughts. We have different reasons.

Hello again, everyone. How has your spring been so far? Ours here in New York has been weather temps in the twenties. Nice.
Same here, tesaje. This is where my job was for twenty seven years . Retired and free now, I just want to begin a new chapter of my life.

I'm ready. I do have a pension and Social Security . Not a whole lot of money (wouldn't be able to live in Pacific Heights for example ), but enough to live in many nice areas of the country. I am cold cold cold here in New York. I want to feel the sun for more than three or four months a year. I would like to live in a college town with good transportantion as I hate driving on highways . I'd like other people who are my age to live nearby. Warmth. Sun. Nice people .
Is there no place on earth for me?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
DE - about "new male friends but the sex thing seems to be a block." It has been so long since I've had a "date" that I forget what the "sex thing" is. HA! I work part time in a little art/gift botique that is owned by two gay guys. There are a couple of other male employees (we are all part time) who are also gay. The only other woman is slightly older than myself and we are the only "straights" there. The guys are fabulous. One of the guys had a big Thanksgiving feast and invited me when he found out I was going to be alone at Thanksgiving. Saved my life. First Thanksgiving after my mother died, my kids are gone and I was going to be alone. I had the best time, great company, great food (feast fit for a king or queen [no pun intended]). Just me and seven gay guys! They are wonderfully, kind, intelligent men. Going to work (about 10-15 hours a week) is my only social life. In fact, it's my life!
You know that would make a great plot for a television show--straight women working at a flower shop with all gay men Or, you and seven gay men--if they were dwarfs, you could make a movie----hi,ho, hi, ho...

I, also, enjoy, being around a gay crowd. They are very pleasant, kind and creative.

Livecontent

Old 03-23-2009, 05:32 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ived-south.jpg

The hummies have arrived from the south... and they are thirsty ! Click on the above link to see them sharing the feeder (that's unusual) !
Are those Rufous Hummingbirds? Several years ago, for about 3 winters, I had a rufous hummingbirds spend the winter in my yard. It was a female and I really loved keeping track of her and looked forward each fall for her return.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:33 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Plantlover; I know what you mean. Hurricanes. In 2004 we had a direct hit by three in six weeks (Charlie, Francis, Jean). Lots of damage but no where near what you went through with Andrew. The big thing now about buying/owning a home in Florida is the hurricane insurance. One big company is leaving Florida and leaving homeowners in limbo. Not good.

Oregon is beautiful and green but winter's have a lot of rain. I love rainy days but not sure I could really tolerate endless days of that - even with the green. I too have not been real excited about a desert climate. But states like NM and AZ do have green zones. But like I said, maybe that kind of change is what I need to jump start my life again. I agree with what you said, "fear is my worst enemy." Did you ever see the movie "Shirley Valentine?" Well, I don't want to end up like Shirley's husband (getting older and afraid of change). I want to embrace those changes like Shirl did!
Hurricanes: in 2005 we were hit by four hurricanes: Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Wilma. Get me out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Default Break time for inspiration

Break time! Check this out, the Young at Heart Chorus in New England (I think you have to be 65+ to join)....they are a cool rock group that performs all over the world...they also have a movie out, a documentary about their concerts and travel. Some of them struggle with all kinds of illnesses too. What a bunch of live wires! Maybe we could create our own group of livewires!

Young@Heart and Staying Alive My Wintersong

Listen to their song "Staying Alive" - turn the sound way up first!

YouTube - Young@Heart - Stayin' Alive

Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM

84 posts, read 191,387 times
Talking Finding community, or creating it

Quote:
What I think some of us want without perhaps being fully conscious of it is not only a less expensive area, but a way to combine resources so we are not so redundant and wasteful...and to be involved in a positive way with others.
Absolutely. Still think a cohousing project run by consensus is the way to go, but know I can't afford it as it's run today. I learned about a movement called sociocracy from some cohousing people. Also learned of a book that could teach you how to create community around you, no matter where you live. Novel concept? ;-) In a neighborhood, the focal point might be a community center, for instance. On the down side for some here, it takes work to bring a community together just like it takes work to run a cohousing project.... just some different parameters. Here is a little bit of what I collected so you can find out more about it:

Sociocracy
Building Community
Transition Towns Wiki

Much of the study of sociocracy is done by Sharon Villines, a resident of a cohousing project in Maryland. Never occurred to me that this type of society would be part of something someone would study. Somewhere in this mess I saw a book that explained how you go about creating community whether it be in a small apartment building, a large condo association or a neighborhood.

Quote:
For ex, I would probably never go thru the expense and work of creating my own veg garden, but I'd be thrilled to be working a community garden w others in a place that has two growing seasons.
I got reconnected to my gardening roots by joining the local Perennial Plant Club. I worked in other people's gardens until I could establish my own small garden. You also could get a lot in one of the local historic cemeteries to plant and maintain.

Quote:
But in many ways I don't know what would suit me best....a community of all women? Women and men? Retired/older (55+ --would that get too homogenous??)? Do I really want to be in a community w young families and kids all over the place (may be fun, may be not)...do I want a spiritual aspect, or not? Not having been a hippie/communer, I have no real experience here, just observing what I see several friends involved in.
Sometimes the only way to find out is to try it out. There have been times I tried new things out and it's lead to other activities I enjoy very much but wouldn't have known about if I hadn't gone out and socialized.

Quote:
Maybe, deep down, what I want is not necessarily a change of place but a change in how I live, to include others. I know I don't want to trade my small ranch in the burbs for yet another one. I do want community! I saw how when my mother aged, she isolated herself and became so very lonely from age 60 - 90. Thirty years of loneliness....! I know I can't handle that.
I saw my mom do the same thing. I grew up in Los Angeles and my parents lived in the same house in the burbs for 30 years. Never understood why my mom suddenly decided to move up to Sacramento, where she knew no one but me. Within a few years she lost contact with all the people she'd know for 30 years. Then she developed Parkinson's Disease which is an awful, awful thing to have. She was alone (aside from me) and slowly losing control of her body. She lived the last 7 years of her life needing 24-hour care. No friends ever came to visit her. I don't think most of her friends from LA knew she was sick. I got creative and brought some of my friends to visit her and had a 'therapy' dog visit too.

I don't want to live my last 10 to 20 years like that. But, because I became very ill in 1999-2000, I've slowly lost friends who were close when I was active, but couldn't adjust to me being so different. I haven't made the same opportunities to get out and about to make new friends like I used to do, so I've been isolated. Working on changing that, especially when I consider where and with whom I want to be.

Without finding a special community within a small town or considering a pseudo-cohousing situation, all I can suggest is getting out and joining every group or club that shares interests with you. For example, if you really want to develop a garden working with others, maybe you'll end up living on or near a small farm in a town that is run communally. I've considered joining my local food co-op to find people who share those interests. The same sorts of resources exist no matter where you live.

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
I don't want to live my last 10 to 20 years like that. But, because I became very ill in 1999-2000, I've slowly lost friends who were close when I was active, but couldn't adjust to me being so different. I haven't made the same opportunities to get out and about to make new friends like I used to do, so I've been isolated. Working on changing that, especially when I consider where and with whom I want to be.

Cheers!
Marganne
This is very sad to read - I do my best to avoid "friends" like you described.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Break time! Check this out, the Young at Heart Chorus in New England (I think you have to be 65+ to join)....they are a cool rock group that performs all over the world...they also have a movie out, a documentary about their concerts and travel. Some of them struggle with all kinds of illnesses too. What a bunch of live wires! Maybe we could create our own group of livewires!

Young@Heart and Staying Alive My Wintersong

Listen to their song "Staying Alive" - turn the sound way up first!

YouTube - Young@Heart - Stayin' Alive

If you have not seen the documentary "Young at Heart" it is a must. Put it on your list. I watch this and wonder why on earth I am such a whiny little (whatever). It is uplifting, funny, poignant. You will both laugh and cry.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You know that would make a great plot for a television show--straight women working at a flower shop with all gay men Or, you and seven gay men--if they were dwarfs, you could make a movie----hi,ho, hi, ho...

I, also, enjoy, being around a gay crowd. They are very pleasant, kind and creative.

Livecontent
You are so right - but they would all have to be older (like us) and not young things. It's age and maturity that have all the great stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement