U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 PM

205 posts, read 360,091 times

Advertisements

Those are all good movies. I love "Fly Away Home" - cry everytime at the end flying over OBX (what is suppose to be the Outer Banks of NC (OBX); "George of the Jungle" is hilarious!; another good movie is "Love Actually." I cry everytime (again) at the end when all those little vignettes pop up of loved ones and friends meeting each other at the airport, hugging, kissing, laughing - sigh. So sad about Natasha Richardson. Shows we must keep things in perspective.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Seems like we have a coupe of movie buffs here. IF we end up anywhere near each other or even IF we have periodic get togethers at various locations, we can have a movie weekend or night or day. I currently have over 500. They keep me company when I'm painting or scrubbing floors or whatever. I have many favorites, including the Godfather series. I also have a hugh Cary Grant collection - he's my all time favorite.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Seems like we have a coupe of movie buffs here. IF we end up anywhere near each other or even IF we have periodic get togethers at various locations, we can have a movie weekend or night or day. I currently have over 500. They keep me company when I'm painting or scrubbing floors or whatever. I have many favorites, including the Godfather series. I also have a hugh Cary Grant collection - he's my all time favorite.
Love movies but I don't have any where near your collection. Very impressive! Godfather II was (in my opinion) the best of the three). It is too bad we are all spread so far apart. Getting together would be great. Many years ago now when I lived in NC I was part of a great network of women friends. The book "The Woman's Room" had been out for a while and we formed a "Woman's Room" club. Every month we would all set aside time to get together for a pot luck dinner at someone's house, just to chat, b#@^%* (whine), commiserate, laugh, whatever. Never realized then what a treasure that was. So I guess we are all now a part of a cyber "Woman's Room."

Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM

That is an absolute wonderful idea. I spent 26 years trying to be as politically correct as my nature would allow and I really think a good chat, b#@^%* (whine), commiserate, laugh session is very healthy. Think of all that toxic garbage you let go of. The result is a more positive view. Karcon - you really need to think about moving to the W/SW. We could have a really fun group. Until then, yes, this forum is a good place to do it.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
That is an absolute wonderful idea. I spent 26 years trying to be as politically correct as my nature would allow and I really think a good chat, b#@^%* (whine), commiserate, laugh session is very healthy. Think of all that toxic garbage you let go of. The result is a more positive view. Karcon - you really need to think about moving to the W/SW. We could have a really fun group. Until then, yes, this forum is a good place to do it.
MN2CO - I'm working on it! I think sometimes I work so hard trying to find the solution that I forget what the problem is. I just need to put one foot in front of the other, take a step and move F O R W A R D!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Movie night sounds like fun! The Piano is one of my favorites and The Tango Lesson. Also when I'm feeling a little blue (not the mean reds) or maybe missing my kids--The Houseboat--Sophia Loren, Cary Grant. Wow Karcon, 500 movies! Cool. I aspire to that kind of collection. Now that's a keeper. Move to the SW! Movie and music are my favorite things to collect after books. It always amazes me how music can change how I feel. Books, nature and art do that too but not so immediate. It's remembering to get outside or play the music or take the time to create that sometimes gets lost in the busyness of life.

I was in a program in college where we had to make a three minute film and we had the use of a TV studio. I was the director--what fun. I have a better appreciation of film after doing that. Another cool thing in Olympia was the public TV station. They had a very inexpensive membership fee and then you could use their cameras, studios, and editing equipment to make your own films. They'd show them on one of the public channels if you wanted. I took the training for the cameras but never had time to do it because I was in college. Portland has an annual bicycling festival and people submit five minute bicycling films -- I saw some of them and they were hilarious. A friend took a script writing class and wanted to make one but I moved here. I wanted to be her villain. sigh....not enough time in the day.

Nancy--I like Steel Magnolias too. Definitely good for a cry. Death at a Funeral is good for a laugh...and laugh again. Another one I'd like to own. I think funny must be the most difficult to make. I love Robin Williams because there's such depth and humor. The Bicentennial Man. Scream! "What's wrong?" "I've seen the inner me!" and my favorite sex line is in that movie.

I feel like I'm back in college. I'm procrastinating writing a paper on Arthur Gonzalez for my ceramic class. I've been so stressed out at work I decided to tell Francie I wasn't going to write the paper since I'm auditing and she said it didn't have to be much of anything. How weird, now I feel more like writing it. It is bringing back memories of my process in writing--procrastinate, procrastinate, and then start and get immersed in it and then be obsessed and want to do nothing else until it's done. The real problem is writing a critique doesn't interest me--need to find a hook. I'm feeling inspired so I'm going to give it a try.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM

I nearly forgot to mention another very favorite - "Champ" with a young Jon Voight, Faye Dunaway and Ricky Schroeder when he was 7-8. This one will rip your heart out - . Ricky S was a fantastic little actor when he was a young boy.

That's it for tonight - I'm determined to get my sleeping pattern back on track. A bath and a book and then nod off by ??????. We'll see. Night all....

Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM

Panic set in today. The server for this thread has been down most of the day. How was I going to talk with my cyber friends/support?

Sad day today. I finally had to have my youngest cat put down. She was only 11 years old. She has always been a very neurotic, needy little one. Afraid of everyone but me. Was not affectionate (couldn't hold her) but would climb on my lap or sleep between my knees and dynamite could not budge her. She also had an eye problem (though she could see, it was scary thinking how she perceived her world). Her pupils were completely dialated all the time. Being a siamese she at one time had the most beautiful blue eyes. Now you not only couldn't see blue, you could not even see the whites of her eyes. About a year ago she developed a very severe skin allergy (totally indoor cat). I took her to the vet for steroid treatments, etc. Helped a little but not really. In the last month it has gotten so bad. She was literally chewing herself until her hair came out, had bumps/scabs all over and was getting even more neurotic. For the last two or three days she stayed in a spare room, stayed in one little corner of the bed, her head an inch from wall and didn't move at all - no eating, drinking, etc. When she did come out she would scurry around, terrified of even me. I realized she was in such misery and pain both physically and mentally. I went to the vet to talk about options and realized it was time to do the humane thing. I cried all day yesterday and said my goodbyes this morning. I've never had to put a beloved pet down. So hard, so hard. She was only 11 but I could just not let her suffer anymore. I hope she is at peace now. I still have my 18 year old cat who is such a dear.

Sorry to be such a bummer post. I just know you will all understand.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:35 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,888,724 times
So sorry to hear about your lovely cat. That's a terrible decision to have to make but one we owe them for the unconditional love they give us.
I've got to go give my two a hug.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Panic set in today. The server for this thread has been down most of the day. How was I going to talk with my cyber friends/support?

Sad day today. I finally had to have my youngest cat put down.
I had to do it once. Hope to never do it again. Big hug coming your way.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement