U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2009, 06:36 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,620,077 times

Advertisements

NancyTheReader,

We are definitely on the same search. What areas are you looking in, and when do you want/need to leave Long Island? Do you have to continue working at a job? Are you also on a limited income as I and several others are? And finally...what have you found so far??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:47 PM

11,270 posts, read 18,932,579 times
I saw a cohousing place in SC that might fit to majority of the list.

I think this one Cohousing Directory - Community View | The Cohousing Association of the United States (I'm pretty sure there is a Jr College in this town CCCC - Central Carolina Community College) Might be worth trying on for size and use the "summer rental" Blue Heron Farm Intentional Community

but... you may need to start one in TN, be the FIRST A 2008 Map of Where Cohousing Communities Exist | The Cohousing Association of the United States

I don't do heat, so enjoy the SE, but I'll be stuck somewhere west of the great plains.

Speaking of SE WA. Waitsburg is a very cute town near Walla Walla, so it is close to services and college (both Community WWCC: Walla Walla Community College and Private Whitman College). It is really quite a nice community. For that region, I prefer Moscow, ID. and surrounding area. but you will need to build your own co-housing type set-up there too. (They do have winter in that area, tho not too bad)

OR and WA have several choices of co-housing, Don't overlook Colorado, as they have reasonable taxes, and nice quality of life. Not too bad of winters for the most part.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM

494 posts, read 982,221 times
grrrr... having lots of trouble getting and staying online, so I haven't been able to keep touch. I've been trying to download my new Antivirus subscription, which I finally completed on Sunday--it took 5 hours to download!!!
I'll be back in time, but I AM still interested in coordinating a 'meetup', or even 2!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,868,113 times
Default Interesting Article

How to make changes in life and lifestyle?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,633,932 times
My aching back and sore wrists are signs I did a lot of work! I painted the entire porch, moved tons of furniture, did dump runs, and pruned bushes. I have off tomorrow but because I'm so tired now, I'm not sure I'll get a lot done.

I know that everyone is looking for that quaint, friendly town, in a good weather environment with lots for seniors to do.....I think I'm getting pretty settled on the idea of where I will go: Chico, California. If they named it something else, I think more people would think of it.

I am getting pretty firm on moving there...if I can find an affordable place. I know that because it is an older city, it also has smaller homes, in addition to "regular" homes.

I found a few video clips that give views of town, the people, and activities. It's not the topic that is interesting, it is seeing the things about town while watching the videos.

I think this chica may have her chico!

I know that Forbes recommended it as one of the best places to retire, and I have a feeling it is going to grow much more, as we boomers in California look around. The only negative I can see is that it is about 90 minutes from the Sacramento airport -- but I don't need an airport very often.

It has an excellent bus system -- something hard to find nowadays. It is very close to Lake Oroville, Paradise, and the mountains. The weather is warm in the summer, but not humid. It has a large agricultural base surrounding it, so there are plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. The Sacramento River runs through Bidwell Park, which is one of the largest parks in the U.S. (and probably one of the least heard of). It does not get snow, but ten miles away in Paradise, there is snow. There's the huge Osher Institute for classes and meeting other people. It has a walkable downtown. It has stores I use a lot: Trader Joe's, Ross and Grocery Outlet for bargains.

There are tons of art galleries and art classes. There are cultural offerings at the university. And Paradise is only ten miles away and the population there is 55% retired people.

I prefer to be in the town of Chico because of the good bus service and I hate driving. There is also Amtrak to larger cities.

The residential streets are tree-lined. It is quaint yet progressive. And, probably one of the most affordable, safe, cool towns in California. I'm going to see what I can get for my house if it sells, and then see about maybe renting here for another year or two to get more retirement, but if I can't get a place for me and the pets, I may just try to relocate now. Housing is rising there, and that is a sign to get going now.

It may not be for anyone else, but with all it has to offer, its good climate (I don't mind some 100 degree days in low humidity in the summer), the university, the walkability, and other amenities, I think it could be a great fit for me. Either way, I have to choose someplace, and California IS progressive, it does offer a lot, it is a short trip to either the mountains or the ocean. Now, if I can find a place cheap enough....then it's a deal. So, that is what I am thinking about right now. If Chico falls through, then it's Las Cruces. But with the water issue in New Mexico, I'd prefer California. Anyone want to come check it out with me (I've been there, and it actually reminded me of New York State -- upstate -- with the older, stately homes and the tree-lined streets).

I'm exhausted, so I will be back tomorrow and write more. Glad you had a good, resourceful trip, NEG. If you don't mind flying a couple more hours, come out and join me in California! Chico for the chicas!! Si, si!! Hahahaha!

So, check out these videos but look for the surrounding town views (I noticed when I previewed these that the link appears and so does a blank screen -- just click on the link itself and you'll see it -- don't know why the blank screen appears....but maybe it will post okay -- if not, just click the link):

Discover Chico California A little blurb on Chico, downtown and the arts.

YouTube - ALCI at California State University, Chico American Language and Culture Institute

YouTube - Thursday night farmers' market Thursday night Farmer's Market

YouTube - Chico World Music Festival 2008

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 AM

379 posts, read 613,579 times
newenglandgirl - thanks for the great description of your whirwind trip. It does seem that our culture has become highly focused on consumerism. My quandry, as I've said before, is that I have community ...but in a cold, expensive place ...and it is highly inconvienent to spend time with my daughter. It seems every choice offers six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Plantlover - it sounds like eastern TN would work well for you =0 you should consider a meet-up with Knoxgarden. She makes TN sound like paradise . Plus, they do get occassional snow there.

I'm thinking that the inevitable for me is ultimately someplace on the east coast - wintering in the warm climate and summering in VT. For now, however, I am staying put in AK as my primary place...just am not ready to let my life here go.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 AM

2,173 posts, read 5,020,272 times
Chico sounds like a good fit for you. Go! Enjoy!
I haven't been there but spent a lot of time in Sacramento in the summer on vacation when I was growing up. Our only relatives on the west coast live there. Hot. Really, really hot.
I can remember driving up 99 before cars were air-conditioned. We'd leave before dawn and stop at the zoo in Fresno for a picnic. I remember feeding pink popcorn to the polar bears there. Funny what pops up in your head.
For your painting, try one of those skinny little rollers with the foam roller. I used one to paint the bathroom and they're wonderful! I'd been seeing them used on the design shows and thought I'd give it a try. It's a very small bathroom and I though it would be easier to use than one of the big ones. It is. Much better job of coating with one coat, light and easier to apply paint. And I didn't get it all over me, at least not as much as usual. I'm a messy painter.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 AM

10,109 posts, read 14,420,016 times
A friend of mine from college (Pittsburgh) moved to Chico in the 1970s, married and had a few kids, very crunchy granola gal. Her husband was making homebrew in the house and it was smelly, so she told him to go somewhere else to brew beer.
Hence, we have the Sierra Nevada Brew Company in Chico. They've recently opened a 200-person (?) music and restaurant venue, are using recycled grease or something to run their delivery trucks, are trying all sorts of green things.
I visited a long time ago, riding a bike ten miles into town. Very nice agricultural area. Hot as hell in the summer. It seems like a good place.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM

Default NEG still looking, battling ants

Wisteria,
Chico sounds like a great destination for you. The cultural aspects look fantastic. What is the going price of a modest house? Or will you look for a condo? Will you visit this summer?

I'm still mulling, but the clock is ticking on the house-selling season (here, it's April-May for listing). I believe I still have more research to do. I want to know where I'm moving, before I list. Once I know the destination, it won't be so scary to think of actually packing up and moving.

When I got back from the trip, I found spring on my doorstep...along with the annual (black) ants in various rooms (despite my good housekeeping) ...does anyone have a natural remedy (non-chem) solution for this that really works? I can't list the house with ants roaming around!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 AM

Default NEG relates

Normally I don't pass around these kinds of things...but this just came to me via email this morning (don't know who wrote it), and if this doesn't describe me....

Recently,* I was diagnosed with "A.A.A.D.D" aka* "Age* Activated Attention* Deficit* Disorder".

This* is how it manifests:
I decide to water my* garden ......
As* I turn on the hose in the driveway,
I* look over at my car and decide it needs&nb sp; washing.
As* I start toward the garage,
I* notice mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mail* box earlier.

I* decide to go through the mail before I wash the* car.
I* lay my car keys on the table,
put* the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice* that the can is full.
So,* I decide to put the bills back
on* the table and take out the garbage* first.
But* then I think,
since* I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage* anyway, I may as well pay the bills* first..
I* take my check book off the table,
and* see that there is only one check* left.
My* extra checks are in my desk in the study,
so* I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Pepsi* I'd been drinking.
I'm* going to look for my checks,
but* first I need to push the Pepsi aside so that I don't* accidentally knock it over.
The* Pepsi is getting warm,
and* I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it* cold.
As* I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi,
a* vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye-- they need* water.
I* put the Pepsi on the counter and
discover* my reading glasses that I've been searching for all* morning.
I* decide I better put them back on my desk,
0Abut* first I'm going to water the* flowers.
I* set the glasses back down on the counter,
fill* a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.* Someone left it on the kitchen* table.
I* realize that tonight when we go to watch* TV,
I'll* be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on* the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where* it belongs, but first I'll water the* flowers.
I* pour some water in the flowers,
but* quite a bit of it spills on the* floor.
So,* I set the remote back on the table,
get* some towels and wipe up the* spill.
Then,* I head down the hall trying to
remember* what I was planning to do.

.......* At the end of the day ....
the* car isn't washed
the* bills aren't paid
there* is a warm can of Pepsi sitting on the* counter
the* flowers don't have enough* water,
there* is still only 1 check in my check* book,
I* can't find the remote,
I* can't find my glasses,
and* I don't remember what I did with the car* keys.** Then,* when I try to figure out why nothing got done* today,
I'm* really baffled because I know I was busy all damn day, and I'm* really tired.

I realize this is a* serious problem,
and I'll try to get* some help for it, but first I'll che ck my e-mail...* Do* me a favor ....*
Forward* this message to everyone you know, because I don't remember* who the heck I've sent it to.

Don't* laugh --- if this isn't you yet ....**** your* day is coming!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement