U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,237 posts, read 18,531,752 times
Reputation: 17765

Advertisements


We are definitely on the same search. What areas are you looking in, and when do you want/need to leave Long Island? Do you have to continue working at a job? Are you also on a limited income as I and several others are? And finally...what have you found so far??


Hi n e girl ~~~
(Those initials......) . I retired last June from a teaching job so I do not need to work at all. I have a modest pension and I took SS the minute I could last November. I would definitely need to sell my house here before I could move amywhere else. I am relatively open to anywhere, but I really do not want to experience harsh winters so that would leave out the middle west & the north for me.

I can leave pretty much anytime , but I would like to wait until my own daughter gets a little more settled. I am looking into the southwest because I think I would enjoy the sun (but....maybe not. Maybe too much sun would make me crazy. I can't say because I have never even ben to New Mexico or Arizona , for example). I had considered Portland, but I do think it might be a little too rainy for me there & the cost of living is pretty high. It is supposed to be beautiful, though.

That Chico place that Wisteria talks about sounds like a really nice choice and it seems to be someplace I might be able to afford. I have Googled it before because Wisteria has mentioned it in the past. The college town aspect appeals to me , as does the weather & the cost of living . I would love moving to a place where I knew other people. Maybe the whole gang of us can decide on a place and meet there , just to see. Why not?

My son lives in Medford Mass. Is that anywhere near you?
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

 
Old 03-31-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,237 posts, read 18,531,752 times
Reputation: 17765
Wisteria

I have looked into Chico & I sure do agree with you about that name..... I keep thinking of poor Freddie Prinze (remember him?) .... you make it sound so appealing. I am going to Google it again just to see if it would be within my (small) budget so far as buying a little house there.
I know I have told you, but I do attend the OSHER learning center here and I love the program. It is almost worth moving to a place just to have that. It would be great to have one close by because the one I attend in an hour away and in the winter , it's a loooong drive so often I just do not go .
I am not crazy about driving either , esp. at night so a place where I could not have to do that would be great.
Let's see:
1. Flowers (check)
2. no winter (check)
3. college town (check)
4. shopping (check)
5. public transportation (check)

Now, let me see about the affordability.
Talk to you soon......
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
 
Old 03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
84 posts, read 191,531 times
Reputation: 52
Default Responses to many posts

Hey! Everyone here has been busy as bees! I felt the air move when you went by. Just a few little thoughts that I'll pass along. It's hard to know what you need to do for yourself depending on your geographical location (other differences too, but reading about selling season from April to May popped for me. We sell from April through September. Actually we sell any month of the year here except people are busy during December.)

When I think about finding a place to rent or buy, I know I don't have to be in a hurry. If this apparently great deal is on the market now, there always will be another at a better time for me. If you don't sell during this year's season, then there is a reason. Perhaps you will get a LOT more money for it a year from now? We won't know until the situation is here. But I don't need to be in a hurry when making big decisions.

Then, when I make a decision, there's no such thing as making a mistake. Unless the situation changes, I'm first going to rent in an area where I might want to live. Even if I bought a house, I wouldn't need to stay stuck in that particular location for the rest of my life. Since I'm simplifying my life, changing locations isn't as difficult as it was when I had extra rooms with boxes and 'stuff'.

A few of you mentioned cohousing and posted the web address to the listing page of cohousing.org. Look carefully at that list. It shows projects that have been completed and occupied for 10 years, or some of them plan to break ground in a few months, or some just have identified the land they want to build on, but most are still in the formation stage. Membership in a cohousing project is very fluid during the formation stage. That's when the group identifies what they want to do -- goals. During this process, people get to know one another. Then if there are people you don't like, or you want separate detached homes but the majority want attached condos, you can go explore another group or put one together yourself.

The other option for cohousing is the availability of units for sale or rent within the project -- listed on the same page. There's a studio rental up in Portland that I'd love to try. But the owners want it to remain free of animal dander in case someone with allergies wants to live there later. As the economic crisis continues to decline, more people are deciding to rent a room in their house -- a housemate. Many ways to try out cohousing without making a blood oath! LOL

When we take into consideration how important finding community is to some of us, I suspect the effort to learn how to work in concert with other cohousers looks better. For many, many people, it has provided the best situation.

About Chico, CA and prices. California is expensive. The mean price of a house here is 2 to 3 times what it might be in other states. Most places $300,000 to $500,000 will let you find a good one, maybe for a little less if you are lucky. (See, I said the prices were MEAN!)

I was on realtor.com looking at Chico prices and came across the following home:

2050 Springfield Dr, Chico, CA, 95928 - MLS ID#200902097 - Mfd/Mobile Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

This is only a place holder for an example! What caught my interest was the possibility of people to rent or purchase homes in this type of mobile home park (spaced out like a regular suburb). Then there is a central place for swimming and meeting and potlucks. I always forget about these kinds of parks. Something to consider if some of us wanted to try out the same location and build community. I'll bet even Santa Fe or Las Cruses has several of these types of homes.

On gardens -- Everything grows almost everywhere in California. Unless you are up around 2000 feet, you might not have any freezing temperatures in December or January. As you go higher into the Sierra, the ground consistency changes, especially when you start seeing pine trees. Had a friend who was very, very sad because she couldn't create a garden at 4,000 feet. She tried hauling in the best fill dirt. Even planted some fruit trees. What didn't die on it's own were eaten by the dear. Perhaps this only is particular to the western slope of the Sierra. Something to put on your check lists in case it's important to you.

A great place to find alternative solutions for cleaning and clearing ants is in the Simple Living Network message board.

I'd still like to find some people who would like to try out living on the outskirts of Seattle, WA or Portland, OR. I particularly like Whidby Island and Bellingham, just north of Seattle along the coast, where one of the state colleges is located. I might find out I don't like that much rain, but I really like almost all the other things there. I'm thinking that finding the right people to form a community with is the most important factor.

That's all for now

Cheers!
Marganne
 
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
[color="Navy"] I can leave pretty much anytime , but I would like to wait until my own daughter gets a little more settled. I am looking into the southwest because I think I would enjoy the sun (but....maybe not. Maybe too much sun would make me crazy. I can't say because I have never even ben to New Mexico or Arizona , for example). I had considered Portland, but I do think it might be a little too rainy for me there & the cost of living is pretty high. It is supposed to be beautiful, though.

That Chico place that Wisteria talks about sounds like a really nice choice and it seems to be someplace I might be able to afford. I have Googled it before because Wisteria has mentioned it in the past. The college town aspect appeals to me , as does the weather & the cost of living . I would love moving to a place where I knew other people. Maybe the whole gang of us can decide on a place and meet there , just to see. Why not?

My son lives in Medford Mass. Is that anywhere near you?
Hi NancyTheReader,
Yes I am considering changing my forum name because of the connotation of the initials! (Is changing your name allowed?) Maybe an acronym like "POS"!!

Anyway, Med-fudd (as they say in Boston) is near Boston. A nice but even pricier area of the state.

I wish I could get more bold about moving out and away from NE. The West/Southwest is just so far from any family, and I know I will not be able to afford to fly back here for visits (nor do I want to fly!).

Chico sounds lovely but just too hot for people who have heart/circulation challenges (of course, high humidity is not preferred, either).

My writers' group of mostly women was talking today about how much we want to live in a VERY simple abode, maybe one huge open space with a kitchenette and porch or deck, something extremely easy to clean in a flash. I keep running into so many women our age who want to get the material stuff of our lives out of our lives....but even as I write this, after months of getting rid of stuff, there are still so many furnishings and belongings in this house (and I am not a packrat by any means) that I wonder how on earth I am ever going to get down to very simple basics. How simple do I want to get with my furnishings and belongings? One thing that really stays with me is cleaning out my mother-in-law's house and then my mother's... backbreaking work not to mention the time involved! I don't want my kids to have to do the same some day...plus I don't want to have to cart too much to the next place I move to. This is a real challenge, weeding things out. It takes a strong will to get rid of things you feel you should keep...

Anyway, I'm hearing from all directions what older (but not yet old) women want at this point....and what I hear is simplicity, community, and creativity. Where are the sociologists and architects? (probably busy building gated communities, etc)....why aren't there more choices for us?

One thing that we do not want to do is be in a place where transportation and getting around poses a problem in our 70s and beyond (whether we are driving or not). This is very much on my mind as a practical consideration. The traffic I encountered in cities on my trip was daunting!

I would love to contemplate getting together w others on this thread, in one place...but it's the location that's a problem for me.


Hi mmhere,
thanks for the good links...!

Last edited by RiverBird; 03-31-2009 at 06:04 PM..
 
Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
[color="Navy"] I can leave pretty much anytime , but I would like to wait until my own daughter gets a little more settled. I am looking into the southwest because I think I would enjoy the sun (but....maybe not. Maybe too much sun would make me crazy. I can't say because I have never even ben to New Mexico or Arizona , for example). I had considered Portland, but I do think it might be a little too rainy for me there & the cost of living is pretty high. It is supposed to be beautiful, though.

That Chico place that Wisteria talks about sounds like a really nice choice and it seems to be someplace I might be able to afford. I have Googled it before because Wisteria has mentioned it in the past. The college town aspect appeals to me , as does the weather & the cost of living . I would love moving to a place where I knew other people. Maybe the whole gang of us can decide on a place and meet there , just to see. Why not?

My son lives in Medford Mass. Is that anywhere near you?
Hi NancyTheReader,

Yes I am considering changing my forum name because of the connotation of the initials! (Is changing your name allowed?) Maybe an acronym like "POS"!!

Anyway, Med-fudd (as they say in Boston) is near Boston. A nice but even pricier area of the state.

I wish I could get more bold about moving out and away from NE. The West/Southwest is just so far from any family, and I know I will not be able to afford to fly back here for visits (nor do I want to fly!).

Chico sounds lovely but just too hot for people who have heart/circulation challenges (of course, high humidity is not preferred, either).

My writers' group of mostly women was talking today about how much we want to live in a VERY simple abode, maybe one huge open space with a kitchenette and porch or deck, something extremely easy to clean in a flash. I keep running into so many women our age who want to get the material stuff of our lives out of our lives....but even as I write this, after months of getting rid of stuff, there are still so many furnishings and belongings in this house (and I am not a packrat by any means) that I wonder how on earth I am ever going to get down to very simple basics. How simple do I want to get with my furnishings and belongings? One thing that really stays with me is cleaning out my mother-in-law's house and then my mother's... backbreaking work not to mention the time involved! I don't want my kids to have to do the same some day...plus I don't want to have to cart too much to the next place I move to. This is a real challenge, weeding things out. It takes a strong will to get rid of things you feel you should keep...

Anyway, I'm hearing from all directions what older (but not yet old) women want at this point....and what I hear is simplicity, community, and creativity. Where are the sociologists and architects? (probably busy building gated communities, etc)....why aren't there more choices for us?

One thing that we do not want to do is be in a place where transportation and getting around poses a problem in our 70s and beyond (whether we are driving or not). This is very much on my mind as a practical consideration. The traffic I encountered in cities on my trip was daunting!

I would love to contemplate getting together w others on this thread, in one place...but it's the location that's a problem for me.

Hi mmhere:

That house for 114 in Chico looks perfect. Just the right size. I don't see info on prop taxes though, wondering what they are. Thanks for the link to Simple Living, looks like a helpful site. All the right ideas are being published, but now we need someone (us??) to create the actual living situation we want. Maybe I'm odd in some ways, but I have friends in standard co-housing communities and I am so far not at all attracted. Nor am I attracted to some of the "commune-type" eco-communities...I would have been, perhaps, in my 30s or 40s, but now I want a good balance of privacy and community, without rules or chores. It's all I can do to take care of my own living space! Are you in CA, and if so are you staying in the state?
 
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Reputation: 15649
Default Simplicity, community, creativity

Hi mmhere:

That house for 114 in Chico looks perfect. Just the right size. I don't see info on prop taxes though, wondering what they are. Thanks for the link to Simple Living, looks like a helpful site. All the right ideas are being published, but now we need someone (us??) to create the actual living situation we want. Maybe I'm odd in some ways, but I have friends in standard co-housing communities and I am so far not at all attracted. Nor am I attracted to some of the "commune-type" eco-communities...I would have been, perhaps, in my 30s or 40s, but now I want a good balance of privacy and community, without rules or chores. It's all I can do to take care of my own living space! Are you in CA, and if so are you staying in the state?
 
Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,959,273 times
Reputation: 2225
Someone was asking how to get rid of ants. They hate vinegar! I keep a small spray bottle filled with white/distilled vinegar. I spray it on the ants, some die immediately and the rest "Get the H out of Dodge". I also spray the vinegar up into my shower heads and sink faucets to keep them running freely. Sorry to go off topic.....
 
Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Reputation: 15649
Default re: getting rid of ants

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Someone was asking how to get rid of ants. They hate vinegar! I keep a small spray bottle filled with white/distilled vinegar. I spray it on the ants, some die immediately and the rest "Get the H out of Dodge". I also spray the vinegar up into my shower heads and sink faucets to keep them running freely. Sorry to go off topic.....

It was me!! Thank you so much!
 
Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,237 posts, read 18,531,752 times
Reputation: 17765
Will any kind of vinegar do?
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
 
Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 AM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,959,273 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Will any kind of vinegar do?
I believe so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top