U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,246,699 times

Advertisements

No one's been around lately, so I'll post first!

I found out from a realtor in Chico -- which now may have to go off my list -- that the "cheap" houses I am interested in often go within one day of listing, and are paid for IN CASH. Of course, I don't have the cash to do that, and won't have that kind of cash. Thus, I have her looking around, but the only "affordable" thing seems to be mobile home parks, but then there are the restrictions on pets, and since my pets are part of my lifestyle and one of the few things I can count on, I do not want to give them up. I cannot imagine a sterile life in a mobile home park with no love of animals -- I just cannot do that.

But...I did, ironically, receive a call from the person I know in Las Cruces who happened to be visiting in Monterey. He and his wife LOVE Las Cruces, and he is encouraging me to relocate to there -- so, that goes back on the list.

If I didn't HAVE to move, it would be much easier to figure out the place...unfortunately, I am not in such a position, thus, I really have to find a different location -- it is what it is....

MN2CO -- are you back?? How did your trip go helping your friend? Has Spring finally arrived to Minnesota??

Just checking in -- I am painting the exterior window sills tomorrow morning. I have so far painted the living room, bathroom, kitchen and front porch and tomorrow the outside window sills. Then it comes down to packing all the "clutter" into boxes. Yuck!

Hope everyone is well. Talk to you later!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:11 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,406,670 times
Hello - Yes I'm back from helping my buddy - it was just for the weekend. Yesterday and today we had spring - tomorrow we have winter:s mack:

From everything I'm reading about CA's increases in taxes (property, etc...) and auto licensing (plates, etc..) - which "they" are saying will be on the rise for then next 10 years or so, CA will continue to be an expensive place to live.

You're making great progress - especially considering you're still working You put me to shame.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
But...I did, ironically, receive a call from the person I know in Las Cruces who happened to be visiting in Monterey. He and his wife LOVE Las Cruces, and he is encouraging me to relocate to there -- so, that goes back on the list.

If I didn't HAVE to move, it would be much easier to figure out the place...unfortunately, I am not in such a position, thus, I really have to find a different location -- it is what it is....

Just checking in -- I am painting the exterior window sills tomorrow morning. I have so far painted the living room, bathroom, kitchen and front porch and tomorrow the outside window sills. Then it comes down to packing all the "clutter" into boxes. Yuck!
Wow--and you think you lack energy! I managed to get the garage straightened up again and some shelves designated for garage sale stuff. This morning I put the Christmas china on the shelf to get rid of. I can't believe I have lugged these dishes all over the USA. In my new mentality of use it or lose it I unpacked them at Christmas, washed them, and put them in a cabinet next to the table ready to use. AFTER my party, I realized I completely forgot them instead using my funny plates I had thrown in the fall. Time for that china to go along with other dishes I had put in the cabinet and have not touched since. Now I have a space for my tablecloths and towels.

I'm sorry about Chico--it would be nice to live near your daughter--but glad you're considering Las Cruces again! Having a friend already there would make a HUGE difference that first year you are there. Who knows, I might be heading down there in a few years (with my pottery wheel and hopefully a kiln.) You have pets, I have clay. Warmer would be nice.

Post more pictures when you can - I enjoyed seeing the before and after.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Oh, Dancingearth, that would be great to have you around! Actually, I am looking to the "Universe" to give me "signs." When that friend called last night, I felt more hopeful. Plus, I just got an email from a woman who retired last year and is living in Truth or Consequences -- she said I have a place to stay to visit her. And you're there in Santa Fe! It's all up that straight route! So, I'm feeling a little better about New Mexico again. I do love those beautiful vistas and clear blue skies.

And, yes, it would be nice to be nearer my daughter, but, honestly, she's only 30 miles away and still doesn't come to visit more than once a month or every 6 weeks --- she has a boyfriend! So, the boyfriend gets preference.....I just have to accept that she is growing up.....

I don't have my porch photos here....I'll have to post them later. Energy -- geez, it is seeping away day by day! Sometimes I wonder how I'll get through this, and then I realize, I have to get through it to be in an affordable place! So, I just keep pushing -- although now I'm wearing carpal tunnel wrist braces on both wrists (too much lifting), and I'm pretty tired. My hope, though, is that someday I get to retire!

Hey, Dancingearth -- I may not have clay now, but I'd sure love to get some and throw some pots, too! I used to do that many years ago and I really miss the feel of clay between my fingers, and the magical way a hunk of clay transforms into a beautiful bowl, or cup, or vase, or whatever through the magic of glazes and the kiln!!! It is something I have very much missed and would love to do again! So, if you came to Las Cruces, we could set up our own little art studio and throw clay, and you could get a pet, too!! Then they could play together -- pet play dates -- and we could throw pots!

Okay, well, you made me feel better about it all. Thanks! Much appreciated!!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Oh, Dancingearth, that would be great to have you around! Actually, I am looking to the "Universe" to give me "signs." When that friend called last night, I felt more hopeful. Plus, I just got an email from a woman who retired last year and is living in Truth or Consequences -- she said I have a place to stay to visit her. And you're there in Santa Fe! It's all up that straight route! So, I'm feeling a little better about New Mexico again. I do love those beautiful vistas and clear blue skies.

And, yes, it would be nice to be nearer my daughter, but, honestly, she's only 30 miles away and still doesn't come to visit more than once a month or every 6 weeks --- she has a boyfriend! So, the boyfriend gets preference.....I just have to accept that she is growing up.....

I don't have my porch photos here....I'll have to post them later. Energy -- geez, it is seeping away day by day! Sometimes I wonder how I'll get through this, and then I realize, I have to get through it to be in an affordable place! So, I just keep pushing -- although now I'm wearing carpal tunnel wrist braces on both wrists (too much lifting), and I'm pretty tired. My hope, though, is that someday I get to retire!

Hey, Dancingearth -- I may not have clay now, but I'd sure love to get some and throw some pots, too! I used to do that many years ago and I really miss the feel of clay between my fingers, and the magical way a hunk of clay transforms into a beautiful bowl, or cup, or vase, or whatever through the magic of glazes and the kiln!!! It is something I have very much missed and would love to do again! So, if you came to Las Cruces, we could set up our own little art studio and throw clay, and you could get a pet, too!! Then they could play together -- pet play dates -- and we could throw pots!

Okay, well, you made me feel better about it all. Thanks! Much appreciated!!
And if you stayed there because of your daughter she could up and move. Kids have a way of doing that! Ask my parents and my daughter. Remember I moved to WA to be close to her? then she moved to PA. She does love that I moved back to NM though--she loves visiting.

I remember that exhaustion--I'd move my furniture around and ache for days. I can't even think about moving anything else right now. Eventually you will be done--you are on your way to better things!

I was thinking of taking a break from clay this summer but after one week of not being let in the studio (they call it spring break and then two Sundays of the studio closed for electrical maintenance I am still having withdrawal pangs. You'll have to stop by and throw some pots when you get out here. Go Wisteria!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks, Dancingearth, I think I WILL come up there and visit. Obviously, I'm in the middle of this now, but I'm hoping I will get the chance in several months or so.

What kind of kiln do you have -- electric or gas? I had a small electric one for awhile. Only problem was I had it in my apartment, and when I put it on the the glazes burned off and smelled up the place something awful! Next time -- an outside one! I'm also interested in trying some pit firing raku. That tribal feeling of pottery appeals to me for some reason. Also salt firing.
Hey, who knows? If other people are selling pottery/art pieces of clay -- why not us?

How about some names for us: DancingWisteria, Dancingearth's Wisteria,
WisteriaDancing
....kind of silly, but well, you get the idea. Instead of a Kopekelli, we could have purple Wisteria Dancing on soft, clay-like earth! Or Dancing Peppers Pottery! It's fun to think about!

I think this could be a good part-time income venture for us. Especially working together. Give it some thought...you never know!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
What kind of kiln do you have -- electric or gas? I had a small electric one for awhile. Only problem was I had it in my apartment, and when I put it on the the glazes burned off and smelled up the place something awful! Next time -- an outside one! I'm also interested in trying some pit firing raku. That tribal feeling of pottery appeals to me for some reason. Also salt firing.
Hey, who knows? If other people are selling pottery/art pieces of clay -- why not us?

How about some names for us: DancingWisteria, Dancingearth's Wisteria,
WisteriaDancing
....kind of silly, but well, you get the idea. Instead of a Kopekelli, we could have purple Wisteria Dancing on soft, clay-like earth! Or Dancing Peppers Pottery! It's fun to think about!

I think this could be a good part-time income venture for us. Especially working together. Give it some thought...you never know!
LOL I LOVE the peppers dancing - very funny. I don't have a kiln yet. I keep looking though.....I would like to find someone who wants to do it together because it's so much work. It definitely has to be outside or in the garage vented to outside. Those gases aren't good for ya. The college just got a soda kiln...I can't wait until they get it running. I love raku too--haven't tried it yet. I'm off to the studio....

Old 04-03-2009, 05:18 PM

11,727 posts, read 11,567,118 times
I enjoy reading all the posts and hope everyone finds their dream location!

I've been in Wisconsin since Fall 2007, can't believe where the time has gone! I really enjoy Two Rivers and being closer to my sister in Michigan. We were 6 hrs. apart, now only 3 so we get together more often. She was here for a quilt show last weekend.

The ceramic shop here in Two Rivers is closing. My sister had a kiln in Illinois and sold it when she moved to Michigan. Now she wishes she would have kept it!

I'm anxiously awaiting better weather but forecast for Sunday is for a snowstorm! I still have alot of things to accomplish with my yard. I did alot last summer but more to be done. I found major areas of flagstone covered in weeds/grass so I spent hours digging off the sod then raising all the stones. It looks nice but took most of the summer!

This winter I was going to make sea shell wind chimes but never got started on that project. I will one of these days! I have hundreds of shells and lots of driftwood so materials aren't the problem, but my motivation is an issue!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,892,952 times
I envy your potting skills. That is something I always wanted to do and I took a couple of classes and I discovered I just have no talent for it. I made a lovely water bowl for the cats, though.
I'll trade some stained glass for pots. I tried that and found something I am good at and I really enjoy. I like the Dancing Peppers. I can make that into a cute windchime.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
knoxgarden I envy your potting skills. That is something I always wanted to do and I took a couple of classes and I discovered I just have no talent for it. I made a lovely water bowl for the cats, though.
I'll trade some stained glass for pots. I tried that and found something I am good at and I really enjoy. I like the Dancing Peppers. I can make that into a cute windchime.
Hey, there we go! We'll get our national business going! We'll have drop-ship from each location we're in for orders! The Dancing Peppers Women's Collective!

Only, since it's someone else's design, I'd have to draw another set of dancing peppers -- with everyone's input as to how to spice up these little pepper women!

Okay, Knoxgarden, you're down for the windchimes and stained glass dancing peppers!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement