U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 AM

205 posts, read 360,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement.

Day 2 of the FS out front!

I figure I'll keep spiffing up the place while it's on the market. The idea of waiting to list was driving me crazy as I'm obsessive about things and I might never have gotten around to doing it. When I came home today I had a calmer feeling and the instinct that I'm doing the right thing.

When I was having lunch at Panerra's I was sitting next to an elderly woman and her two daughters. Their conversation was an exact replica of what I and my siblings went through in the past several years with my mother....trying to talk her into selling her house and renting or getting a renter. The older woman's retorts sounded exactly like my mom's! The resistance was unmistakable. This scenario is playing out in many places today as the older folks are caught in a bind about where and how to live (financially and otherwise). It reinforced for me all of our instincts to make moves now before we get too old to decide for ourselves. Onward....
Your thought process throughout this reminds me of mine (and, I'm sure, others). We make a decision and then start looking at all the minute details, start playing devil's advocate with ourselves, self doubt creeps in and before we know we have talked/scared ourselves out of moving forward. You made the decision (I'm sure many times) but this time you closed your eyes, took a deep breath, and leaped forward. I know that feeling of calm when I've done the same thing. Thanks for the encouragement. By the way, I'm not sure if you said where you were moving to - new city, close by, etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Hello everyone - just checking in. I have family here for who knows how long (fall out from this mess and looking for jobs) so we'll see how that turns out. Lots more stress - who needs more stress? When did life did get so complicated?

Sounds like some of you are moving ahead - that is good news. I totally relate to the concept of becoming paralized with indecision. I've decided to try (TRY) to hold out til next spring - can I make it another LONG winter? I really can't get the work done around here with guests and since I don't have to move, I'm hoping home prices will go up by next spring.

WISTERIA - check in and let us know how it's going for you!!!! Your dancingpeppers idea was great. We have some sewers here (myself included) who could make up girly stuff to go with the artsy stuff (curtains, seat cushions, placemats, tablecloths, etc...)

This is the strangest spring that I can remember - it's been sunny but it's still cold - suppose to warm up this week. My dogs have been getting lots of long walks - it's good for them and me too.

Take care.....

Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM

510 posts, read 1,310,525 times
Default Waitin for a makeover!

Hi Everyone, I'm sitting in my sister's house in Phoenix. I came over yesterday, and she made 'shrimp on the barB', and we reminisced over some old pictures I brought with me. The real purpose of the visit: I'm getting a makeover this afternoon! She owns a salon, and I told her to 'make me over', in terms of my hair. If it turns out good, you may see more of me than my feet-in pictures, anyway.
Speaking of pics, I just added a couple of new pics to my Yuma album. I'm actually thinking of selling my painted rocks, which I've done a little in the past. Everyone in RV parks seems to have a sign of some sort with their names in front of their site. I can probably sell alot of 'personalized rocks' without much hustling. It's the end of the season now, so I hope to have alot of backgrounds done by next season, just waiting to add their names, etc.
My sister and I have been 'closer' over the years, although we never live very close. She's the oldest, and I'm the youngest (11 years apart). I really enjoy spending time with her, but her husband is the most unhappy, unlikable, seething with inner hostility, total control freak about needing 'perfection'. It's so sad, when you look at their beautiful home, garden, pool, etc. but he NEVER enjoys anything! Spring winds bring him misery, trying keep the pool and everything 'pristine'. He's just so uptight, and unhappy, I hate being around him, but my sis and I hang out without him when I come, so it's ok. She knows how he is, so she's not offended that NO ONE likes him, and she's much better now about not letting his negativity affect hers, for the most part.
Well, next time I'll fill you in about my wonderful friend, Nancy, who I've known for 27 years, but lost touch with many times. I saw her up in Oregon (she lives in Salem) and she's coming to visit me in Yuma for a week at the end of April!!! I'm so excited! We were party girls back in Palm Springs, where we both lived for 10+ years. She's now 62, and engaged for the first time! Can you believe it?! But she's coming down by herself, so we can hang out as friends.
Sorry I haven't been in touch much. I just get so frustrated with my slow connection.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,668 times
Anomoly - love the pictures--looks like you're all settled in and cozy--a home.

I'm looking forward to being able to sit outside but I need to go to garage sales and look for outdoor furniture. It also needs to warm up. It's nice you can avoid the husband of your sister. My sister's husband was so controlling he always managed to intrude and we never spent much time together. Ha--at least he's an ex now so we have a blast when we manage to get together.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 PM

205 posts, read 360,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Speaking of pics, I just added a couple of new pics to my Yuma album. I'm actually thinking of selling my painted rocks, which I've done a little in the past. Everyone in RV parks seems to have a sign of some sort with their names in front of their site. I can probably sell alot of 'personalized rocks' without much hustling. It's the end of the season now, so I hope to have alot of backgrounds done by next season, just waiting to add their names, etc.
Love your rock! Your home looks very inviting.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM

84 posts, read 191,531 times
Lightbulb Alternatives to cohousing

Haven't looked at these URLs in a long time but thought they might interest you all. Alternatives to cohousing. I'm trying to catch up reading posts.

Cheers!
Marganne

Building Community in Coops, Condos, Cohousing, and Other New Neighborhoods
Sociocracy: Principles and Methods of Organization
Sociocracy in Action
Yahoo! Groups : Search Results
Sharon Villines, Artist and Writer
http://www.cohousing.org/gp_sociocracy.aspx (broken link)
Sustainability Institute
http://www.neighbornets.org/
http://www.theworld.com/~habib/thegarden/ (broken link)

Resources
AARP Online Community: CommunityExchange - Profile & Information
Second Journey-Awakening Human Potential in Life's 2nd Half
Intentional Communities (ecovillages, community, communes, cohousing, coops, sustainable living...)
Senior Cooperative Foundation
Transition Towns WIKI :: Main / HomePage

Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 PM

71 posts, read 252,911 times
Default Trip to the PNW

Hi everyone! Awhile ago I posted that I would go and look around the the PNW for a home. I did fly out and found that special place and with all the gumption I could muster I told the realtor that I had been in contact with for the last 6 months that I wanted to put in an offer after seeing it. I was so excited as I had finally got the nerve to follow through and had decided to "go for it". I was shuffled off to another realtor to handle the sale. Unbeknownst to me and the new RE representative, the house had been put under contract the evening before by my original realtor. Reflecting back I feel like a fool that I went and looked at the home a second time with the original sales agent and even measured for my washer and dryer to fit in properly. Everyone knew that there was a contract except me. I was just being used for insurance. I'm having a hard time with the humiliation of being treated so poorly. Seems kinda cruel, not to mention unethical to do a person this way. Anyway, I know this is a rant and maybe this is for the best. Thanks for letting me

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 AM

Smile Thought about our movement

Has this group ever discussed staking a claim to a town or neighborhood? Then anyone who wanted could move to this town or area and obtain their own housing? Or perhaps a few will combine housing? Perhaps we can buy an entire block on one street.

Just locating in one area would provide a lightening rod for so many others out there. Hey, if you feel like this, here's where you go to work through it, get support, then continue with the next act in your life story.

I don't think EVERYONE would want to stay in the same place, but it is a way to start a movement of sorts. We would be grouped geographically so we could try out some of these things we think we might like, but aren't sure we will. Perhaps small 'pods' of people would go out and establish themselves in another location after learning more about themselves.

Maybe look for a place with a university that already has a concentration of courses involving Boomers adapting to the next phase of their lives.

Just a thought.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 AM

Default Catching up and PNW

Sorry I haven't been around much. It makes me tired just reading about all that you've done recently -- big time decisions! Congrats.

Paintdog52: I'm not up on Real Estate terms and contracts, so I don't really understand what happened with buying your house. I DO understand it felt awful! Hope the rant helped.

I'm located in California and have been traveling to the Pacific Northwest for years and years. I love it up there and really would like to retire there. The rain doesn't scare me! Where is your new house (if it goes through) located?

I'm partial to the area north of Seattle or to Whidby Island, but I also like what I see around Port Townsend. Do tell where you will be located!

Cheers!
Marganne

Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Unhappy My turn for a rant

Here's a good one for people our age. Are you as steady on your feet as you once were? Can you keep your balance? Do you trip over things that aren't there?

I do. My doctor and I have talked about it so I know it's not something insidious. But, on Friday, I took a tumble down 4 cement slab stairs coming down from my second floor apartment. EVERYONE here hates those stairs, and they are on every building here.

Nothing broken and no bruised brain. But my body is a different technicolor each day! Most of my weight was cushioned by my left elbow and my left side. Yes, I have purple butt! ;-) Finally feeling better today.

I mention this because a ground floor apartment just like mine will be available soon. Seems like a no brainer for me to move downstairs, but I'm balking. I hoped that when I finally got my current apartment cleaned out I'd be moving out of town. (I'm still dealing with stuff my mom had when she died.)

I don't want to lug all this stuff for 30 feet (I'd hire someone). It's not a done deal -- have a few things to check with the landlord before I make a decision. So it might not happen. Moving -- YUCK

Haven't had a lot of time to deal with this because my Medicare Part D medication coverage decided to drop my main medication from it's formulary!! Guess what? Insurance companies CAN change the formulary any time they want. I picked this particular plan because I got the best deal for my medications. Open enrollment was Nov. 15 through Dec. 31. They changed the formulary in January.

I'm VERY ticked off that the insurance company can drop meds any time so I can't depend on open enrollment information to evaluate and chose a health plan each year.

So I've been in anxiety mode and trying to work out an exception to the formulary. I'm not sure why it is, but when things go wrong with my medications, I become a blithering idiot! It's like walking away and forgetting your purse! I'm able to be calm and take care of many other things that stress most people out, but not with medications!

I HATE getting older and having to deal with all that it brings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement