U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2009, 11:19 AM

10,730 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
JanB,
I don't understand what you mean by the "inside job" thing...if the first offer on the house was accepted by the owner, s/he wouldn't have known that Paintdog's offer was coming in right after that...??

What else should we watch out for in terms of "inside jobs?" (I'm rather naive.)
I was under the impression that the offer hadn't been accepted (reason why agent #1 passed Paintdog to agent #2, as #1 could represent 2 different buyers. BUT #1 could have informed Paintdog that there was another offer pending (which would have been the correct thing to do, as well as had agent #2 submit a backup offer from Paintdog) Also Paintdog should validate sale data to verify that the final sales price is as great or better than her offer, as a protection to the seller. (Realizing that there may be issues with /repairs / buybacks). It was found that our local sheriff's tax sales were going to a team of investors, and the closing (recorded) prices were lower than the bids of others... it turned out to be a scam on the part of the team that had connections with auctioneer (who was really a bus driver...) crazy things happen in our society.

Quote:
Your second comment, above....are you really paying $10 grand-plus per year on prop taxes? It's unbelievable! That's likely to be my way more than my entire SS for one year!
yes, unbelievable... the joint cost less than $100k, and was taxed at $800/yr 13 yrs ago, started climbing ~25%/yr, then in 2007 it doubled !!!
I need to cut a check for $5500 on April 30th for the first 1/2 yr taxes... any suggestions I have had ZERO income for 2 yrs (Except for selling off assets, I'm over 15 yrs away from SS). If I let the assessor put a tax lien on the joint I will get my 4.125% mortgage called... taxes are money down the drain... Our fire station closed this year, and I home schooled, and use the roads of adjacent county (300' away, and 1/2 the taxes). I can't move to that county and keep the pristine view, as all of the area is now in a protected national scenic area. (I have threatened to move the sign )

Quote:
Janb: How do you avoid a seller's RE agent?
#1 I try to buy from owners (I use the GIS / tax info to contact prospective sellers of non-listed props, or at least 60 days after listing expires). If there is a seller's agent, I will meet with them and write a very specific purchase agreement AFTER I have done due diligence and preferably negotiated in the company of seller AND their dear agent (unless they prefer to trust their realtor to be able to close the deal)... I like to get stuff correct and out front BEFORE the fur flies. I refuse to go to a joint closing, I either do it at another time, title office, or at my attorney. I just don't deal well with 'good intentioned', but often poorly qualified (informed) RE sales personnel. (your Mileage my vary, I hope it is better). I often buy places with 'owner financing' and always give them a sense of security with direct e-deposits so they don't have to worry about getting funds on time. (Usually retired folks, since my first home purchase in 1970's) $16k... $128.84 house payment (thought I would die at the time !!)... (but that is about right amount in 2009 $$ )

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-09-2009 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM

84 posts, read 129,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
If you are going to have someone move your stuff, look at getting those pods. They deliver them to your place, you pack them, and then you can have them put in storage until you need them.
Great minds think alike. If you are like most of us, it's difficult to get rid of all that 'stuff' we can't set free. If you 'pack a pod', put it in storage, then find a small rental, share or room, it's a good way to see what items are important to you. If you forget about stuff you packed in the pod until you unpack, maybe it's a sign.

Cheers!

Marganne

Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 AM

Exclamation Down with the establishment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Ok mmhere, here's a little comedic relief! The 'corporate power' seems to grant them the right to do anything they want, while we have to do exactly what they want, getting penalized if we don't. It's long been an issue with me, especially now when the AIG bonuses are being flaunted.
Dear Anomoly,

Thanks so much for the laugh. It's exactly what I need. Bought a toner cartridge yesterday for my printer. It had 20 million pages of instructions. Usually it's English, Spanish and French, but this one had Swedish, Russian and a few more I couldn't identify!

I spend a LOT of time each December reviewing all the Medicare plans. I think I'll change that this year since it doesn't matter anyway.

BTW -- where do you get one of those AIG jobs?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM

Default Lowest taxes for retirement

We've been talking about the difference in taxes from one state (and one county) to another. Knew I'd read these figures recently. Went back and clipped a bit, plus I'll leave the URL if you want more.

Kiplinger Report

Retirement Living

Don't assume that a state with no income tax qualifies as a tax haven. High sales and property taxes can more than offset the absence of an income tax. (Seven states -- including Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming -- have no state income tax. New Hampshire and Tennessee tax only dividend and interest income that exceeds certain limits.)

Five states are particularly tough on retirees. Not only do they fully tax most pensions and other retirement income, but most of them also have fairly high top tax brackets, says Tom Wetzel, president of the Retirement Living Information Center. Those states, with their top tax brackets for 2008, are California (9.3%), Connecticut (5%), Nebraska (6.8%), Rhode Island (9.9%) and Vermont (9.5%). For a free state-by-state tax guide, including exemptions for seniors and a rundown on how various types of retirement income are taxed, go to Retirement Living website..

Colorado, Connecticut, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia -- tax Social Security benefits to some extent.

Five states -- Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon -- have no state sales taxes. At the other extreme, five states -- Indiana, Mississippi, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Tennessee -- each have a state sales tax of 7%, the highest in the nation. Last year, South Carolina raised its statewide sales-tax rate from 5% to 6%. In 2008, Maryland went from 5% to 6%, and Indiana from 6% to 7%.

(Here in Sacramento County, our sales tax just was raised to 9 percent -- I think that's what I heard.)

Property Taxes: Based on data from a 2006 Census Bureau survey and Tax Foundation calculations, the five states with the lowest median real estate taxes (from lowest to highest) are Louisiana, Alabama, West Virginia, Mississippi and Arkansas. The states with the highest median real estate taxes (from highest to lowest) are New Jersey, New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York and Massachusetts.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 8,444,016 times
re the pods - look at their competition as well as checking them out carefully.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:33 PM

200 posts, read 229,036 times
[quote=Tesaje;8260932]Always remember that a RE agent is working for the seller. There is no such thing as a buyers/sellers agent (that's red marker for scam!).

Actually (and I guess it varies by state law) a real estate agent can end of representing both the seller and buyer. When I put my mother's NC house on the market in 2004, I listed it with an agent (seller's rep). I wanted someone my mother could relate to since I could not be there during the actual showing/selling process - only by phone. The first offer that came in was $40,000 below asking and when I questioned the agent about it, she said that was all the buyer could afford . I had to really keep on her and the longer it took the worse her attitude became. It really was becoming a situation where the attitude of the potential buyers and the agent were "she is an old lady who now lives out of state - let's wait her out." Shocking. I talked with my mother's financial person (who is great!!!) and we worked out a strategy. Bottom line this is what my mother needs AFTER commission or reduce your commission (she was horrified by that). I was playing a game of chicken with my mother's house and was almost ready to cave when the agent called back and met our price - only $10K below asking. I sweated that one out. So, unless it stipulates in the contract an exclusive to represent only the seller - seller beware!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,074,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
re the pods - look at their competition as well as checking them out carefully.
Good advice. I looked at everything when I moved last year.

Did you have a problem with the pods? I used them last year and liked that I could put my own lock on them--no one could get in. My daughter used a moving company and they ripped off her CD collection and because she didn't know it until she had unpacked they would not reimburse her. Who could possibly keep track of every single box that came off the truck?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM

200 posts, read 229,036 times
Here is a post on Most Tax Friendly States:

Most_Tax_Friendly_States

It comes from www.topretirements.com and you can sign up for their free e-newsletter and they send you frequent updates on locations and other retirement information.

Check it out!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:36 PM

64 posts, read 145,869 times
Default PNW move

Thanks for comments and encouragement. I have gotten over the house part --what gripes me is that the RE agent withheld information about it's status knowing full well the first offer had been accepted and that it was solid. Pretty unethical. I told her about my feelings and will complain to the agency broker and RE commission. I am not deterred - I will press on (dusting self off) and find something else in that area. I do feel kinda good though that I finally got off my butt and found out that I was truly able and willing to make a leap of faith. It's kinda like my back got straightened up just for giving it a good shot.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:56 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,074,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdog52 View Post
I am not deterred - I will press on (dusting self off) and find something else in that area. I do feel kinda good though that I finally got off my butt and found out that I was truly able and willing to make a leap of faith. It's kinda like my back got straightened up just for giving it a good shot.
Good! See what happens when you take chances--not only do you realize you have survived, it makes you stronger and more willing to take more chances. That's how you end up in places you thought you'd never be and gaining experiences for those rocking chair days. I always imagine myself sitting on a porch in a rocking chair smiling at my life. Then getting out of the chair and doing something adventurous - even if it is only to cross a road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement