Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 07:30 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow! What is the asking price??? What are the property taxes?
I've heard Portland is very expensive. Maybe things have come down some. The setup sounds good though.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Since then, I don't get rid of anything until I know I'm ready, and I'd much rather pay for storage for stuff I'm not sure about until I'm ready to unload it.
Good advice Anomoly. Most of stuff that I got rid of I don't regret but some of the stuff that I lost because I didn't want to pay for storage I miss. I just wasn't ready. Now I have shelves in the garage that I'm putting things on that I think I want to sell or give away. I had two boxes of books out there for several months and last week I went thru them to reconsider. I didn't bring any of them back in the house. I'll do that once more before getting rid of them.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Good advice Anomoly. Most of stuff that I got rid of I don't regret but some of the stuff that I lost because I didn't want to pay for storage I miss. I just wasn't ready. Now I have shelves in the garage that I'm putting things on that I think I want to sell or give away. I had two boxes of books out there for several months and last week I went thru them to reconsider. I didn't bring any of them back in the house. I'll do that once more before getting rid of them.
Letting go of our stuff is really a process isn't it? My mother did a lot of it by giving the heirlooms to children, but she still has a lot of things. Living in a small place made it easier for her to get rid of it and pawning it off onto us also assuaged the junking it thing. But then I have some heirlooms I need to find a good home for as I work on getting rid of stuff I don't really want or need.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Hi again,

I'm still on the search for a house, while mine is listed (again, who knows how long it will take?? it's gotten off to a slow start..)

As I surf the Net, I never thought I'd look into foreclosed houses, as I empathize so very much with anyone who has had the misfortune to lose a home. However I was just on several realtor sites browsing around, and saw "foreclosed houses" links. Whenever I start to get into those listings, I'm told I have to become a "member" and PAY to access those listings. What gives? Who profits from this? Is any of this money kicked back to foreclosure programs or to individuals who've lost their places?

Any other thoughts on looking at, considering, foreclosures?

Thanks...
NewEnglGirl

Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Potluck work party over at Wisteria's this weekend so she can get done and we can see her again. Thinking of you Wisteria!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:29 AM

84 posts, read 208,753 times
Wink Take the boat, not the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Anything on the Olympic Peninsula is not that convenient to Seattle (you have to take ferrys to get to Seattle--fun but time consuming.) Poulsbo is definitely closer than Port Townsend. I really liked Port Townsend and if I were to move back and didn't have to work, I'd look up there because there is less rain. Love the feeling of that town--right on the water. I love Olympia but the rain in the winter! more than Seattle. If I didnt' mind rain, I would live in Olympia.
I don't have a desire or need to be that close to Seattle. I'd have no need unless it was a special trip. I rather like the ferries and enjoy the ride. I've driven in traffic too much in my life and will avoid it when I can. The ferries make that entire area more walkable -- without need of a car.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM

84 posts, read 208,753 times
Wink property not on market yet

Quote:
Wow! What is the asking price??? What are the property taxes?
This property is not on the market yet. I was putting it out there due to the concept, not for location or taxes. If this one is available, another that's similar always will come around if some of us decide to look into it.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
I don't have a desire or need to be that close to Seattle. I'd have no need unless it was a special trip. I rather like the ferries and enjoy the ride. I've driven in traffic too much in my life and will avoid it when I can. The ferries make that entire area more walkable -- without need of a car.
I was thinking as you get older you might be going to Seattle for the medical facilities. If it's just to play, yep--ferries are fun and you get to talk to people. Seattle was the one city men asked me out! Had the best date of my life in Seattle--great fun and generous man.

I only went to Seattle for special trips too. When I was living in Bremerton I went on the ferry and then took buses. In Olympia I went on the Amtrak. I lost 30 pounds taking buses, ferries, and walking up the Seattle hills. Put it all back on when I started driving again.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for thinking of me. Actually, a few days ago I did write up a long post, and, unfortunately, I must have hit preview, but didn't hit "submit," so the whole thing vanished and I didn't have time to go back in!

This weekend is Easter and my daughter, who has been a pill lately, is coming to visit for a day and a half – she is hooked at the hip to her boyfriend. I have to learn to cut the umbilical cord, because it is just still difficult for me to let her go, even though I purposely raised her to be independent….

So, I got the outside window sills done, and the screen doors replaced. I still have some painting left, but not on the order of what it was. I have to admit, I got two email updates from Zillow again, and again, it started with "House at…..decre…." and I deleted it. I cannot bear to see that again.

I thought I could get the house on the market by April 18th, but that is now unrealistic. Now that I have done all the painting, screen repairs, etc., I have to also do the yard and all the inside "junk." I am borrowing a friend's shredder for all those extra papers. I am also taking this afternoon off to get some things done, and will take a trip to Salvation Army to pick up some wicker baskets to put my "stuff" into on the shelves so it doesn't look like piles of things. Then I have to go to the Dollar Store and get Easter stuff (see, I do live on that strict cheapo budget).

I am worried about getting a rental here after I, hopefully, sell. I need to get something from this place, and if there is another round of foreclosures on the way (so I hear), then I need to get out now. I hate this precarious situation. If I didn't owe a huge mortgage, I could relax and ride it out, unfortunately, each time my house plummets in price, it's the equity that is falling….and it is financially impossible to stay here in retirement….so I really have no choice. Plus, my retirement funds will still be very low (I was not a planner for retirement when I was younger) and now I have to pay the price of living in a sub-standard place, probably.

However, since Chico is out, so far (because the speculator vultures are swooping in and buying up the houses in my price range) – I am keeping my fingers in both pieces of the California and New Mexico pie – I am feeling better toward Las Cruces. In fact, it almost feels "right." I have an acquaintance in Las Cruces, I have a friend in TorC, and, of course, Dancingearth is in Santa Fe! Plus, I think Nancythereader is considering Las Cruces, and also a friend of mine in NYC is considering it. And…if Anomoly comes back there, then we will have an established support system – even if we are dispersed around the town, it won't matter, because it's a small town, and the roads are good, and there isn't snow (or even rain to speak of)! We could have our own "phone tree" and also regular get-togethers. Plus, the community is already established for retirees, so there are options available. Dancing Peppers could have a booth at the Farmers' Market and sell things there, too! It could work!

As for the northwest….since I lived in Seattle for five years, I do not believe I could ever retire there. If they took away the rain and incessant clouds, THEN I'd consider it! It is a beautiful area, but that constant drizzle, rain, dark clouds, gloom….I honestly did not believe the things I heard about it before I moved there….they weren't exaggerating….

So, the next two weeks will probably mean me taking more time off to clear clutter, toss, toss, toss, and get the house ready to show. I am exhausted, but I know the only way I will have an idea of what is happening in the market is to put the house on the market. Wish me good luck.

I think that our Dancing Peppers Women's Cooperative" would work great with a home base in New Mexico – AND have the drop-ships from other women around the country. With a website, some free PR (articles, etc. – even Youtube), we might get a venture going.

Well, I only have an hour left here at work, so….I'd better go work!!! "Hello" to all, and thank you for the good wishes!!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:14 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Quote:
Anyone heard from Wisteria? I miss her posts...
Yes, just got a message from her. Apparently the crazy weather and wind took out all telecommunications for a day or so.
Also, she's so frantic and overwhelmed about her situation. She's got very few good options right now, but has to do something before things get even worse. I feel for her. I asked if she'd like me as a roommate for a couple of months to help out, but because her house is on the market, she needs to wait that idea out.
She's there, so keep her in your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement