U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
84 posts, read 191,502 times
Reputation: 52

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
mmhere - I think the Seattle area or the Pacific Northwest would be fabulous for retirement. It has a beautiful freshness to it. Also, there are areas that are not as expensive as Seattle itself. Bellingham looks fun, Port Townsend is a favorite of many - but there are also nice communities a bit more inland, too.

As for the weather, everything is relative - and from my perspective the weather is quite nice - never too hot or too cold. We actually go to Seattle to get out of the constant wet grayness! Most people I know that have moved to that area - and there are a lot of them - love the spring, summers and fall especially.

Re Portland - some people live just over the bridge in Vancouver, Wa because it is less expensive.

I liked the idea of converting a house into separate living units. There are a couple of big old houses here that were divided into legally separate units years ago - people love it and there are always people willing to fill the slot when someone wants to sell out. My friends have talked of doing a similar thing, or buying a piece of land and building "cottage" houses - however, most of them are settled in their own home and when push comes to shove they do not want to change that. Others are hesitant to invest here as they plan to move ...to... Washington or Oregon .
Everything is relative -- taxes, weather, expenses. I am a California native so EVERYTHING seems less expensive to me! I've traveled extensively through California, Oregon and Washington for many years. I feel certain I could adjust to having fewer sunny days. I want to get away from those 100+ streaks we have here several times during the summer.

You are right ... there are many places throughout Oregon and Washington that get less rain than other places. My idea would be to divest myself of most of my belongings, then go up to the PNW, find a small place to rent temporarily, and start combing the countryside. Yes, Vancouver, WA did look a bit less expensive than Portland. Not sure how that works out when considering the difference in taxes.

Here in Sacramento, converting old Victorians into apartments has been going on for a long time. Our downtown area has changed so much in the past 20 years. A cohousing group took over one of the larger houses there and created their community by dividing up the house.

I belong to a mailing list involved with the small house movement. We are getting serious about finding a way to identify properly zoned land in several locations across the U.S. Some people could choose to live in one place. Others with teeny tiny homes on wheels could move around knowing they'd have a place to park. It's not easy finding a legal place to park your home in a lot of places.

I'd love to be part of a group that tries to put together a small house project.
Small is relative too. Small homes are much more within my financial means. I really can't afford to purchase a 'big' house. They don't give mortgages to people on disability. I've always lived debt free and want to remain that way.

The other option would be for me to move in with someone else that has a larger home and rent/share. Or a group of women depending on the size of the house. I've seen lots of properties that have two houses on the same lot. There's a lot of options out there. Important to keep from talking ourselves out of things that might work out.

miruca --- where is 'here' for you? I'm in Sacramento

 
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
84 posts, read 191,502 times
Reputation: 52
Smile Elder-City

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Fairwinds, You've really nailed why I'm freaked out about my future! ... The states are in a dire fiscal mess. ... The biggest problem for "seniors" is that we're beyond our peak earning years (some of us never got to peak, as we were always rather underemployed)...if our property taxes are what they are now and will be next year, what will they be in 5 or 10 years as each year the states fall deeper and deeper into the hole? Not only prop owners with steadily rising taxes but renters whose rents will be directly affected are going to suffer:
Try not to look at the prices and taxes in California or other states located on either coast if you don't want to be freaked out! Although I cringe at the thought, Kansas actually is offering free land for people who will move there, set up a house and stay for 2 years.

Quote:
My thought is to find some very plain place that people are NOT flocking too for jobs, lifestyle or retirement.... I was actually thinking about creating a town for elders that has no schools within its borders....now that would keep prop taxes down!!!
I LIKE that idea. That's why I've been checking out mid to small-sized towns -- places where it would be good to live, but not be the latest urban area where people want to live. There are plenty of those throughout the U.S., but, generally, they are located in the south or midwest. They generally have inconvenient weather.

I know if enough of us could get together in the same geographical location, we could form a network where we all would help everyone else in keeping living expenses down, sharing rides to the doctor's office, more hands to work a small garden. We even could establish a home business to generate a little income. I have a bit of experience with doing that, but, due to my disability, lack the energy to be responsible for getting things done on a deadlilne.

Maybe we could establish this town and set up different zones. One could be for those of us who want community and to share our financial burdens. Another could be planned around a golf course for people who want that. I guess the other would need to be independent living/nursing home.

The trick will be (I think) to find some of these places and get a few of us established there. That way it would be easier for others to follow -- they know someone and have more information.

Know what you mean about schools and taxes. But I just have to live near a large university. I long to take some classes, plus most colleges that teach medicine are part of a larger medical center and hospital.
 
Old 04-13-2009, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
84 posts, read 191,502 times
Reputation: 52
Smile No hot weather, PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Some of us don't like the very hot seasons (Stockton, CA ideal climate? I beg to differ!).
Each summer we have more and more hot days where the temperature is 100+ degrees for 5 to 10 days at a stretch. It wasn't that way when I was growing up in California. Stockton would be one of the last places I'd pick to live in, besides the heat. It has one of the highest crime rates among other U.S. cities and the highest foreclosure rate -- easily in the top 5 when I see a list. Guess that means prices for homes would be cheaper .... but I'll take a BIG PASS!

There are a lot of choices between Oregon and Washington that would be very nice. Having grown up in California, the thought of living somewhere where the green exists all year around would be wonderful. Here, if you blink, you might miss the 2 weeks of Spring. Everything here turns brown and yellow and is tinder dry well before Memorial Day Weekend. There isn't any more rain until after Halloween. That may be difficult for people to take just as more moisture is for others.

I'm not retiring any time soon either. I was well on my way to having a great little nest egg before I became disabled ... not something anyone ever plans on happening. I figure if I'm not part of a group of people who take advantage of living less expensively (sharing and group discounts), I'll be looking for a place where there is a granny house and people want someone responsible to watch after their pets and plants while they go on vacation.

Oh! One more requirement for a location to live. It has to be within 25 miles of a Sam's Club or Costco!!! LOLOL
 
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,244,494 times
Reputation: 2651
Quote:
ConeyIsBabe :
Since I've decided to stay-put until anything changes in my life, I'm going to enjoy the summer and have a positive attitude - still time moves on

As a consideration for the future - I'm thinking of visiting The Villages in central Florida at the end of the summer. I know it's a lifestyle that many have criticized because of all the "rules & regulations" involved in an active-adult-community, I need to see it for myself if only to rule it out -- or keep it as a serious option, when my time comes It has what we all want in terms of the potential friends & lifestyle we seek, all within the confines of its communlity.
Wow! I just heard some stories from some friends about the Villages -- had no idea about them!! Here is a little excerpt and a video link attached:

Quote:
Doctors In Retirement Community Seeing Increase In STDs - News Story - WFTV Orlando with a video:

THE VILLAGES, Fla. -- Doctors in The Villages are seeing increased numbers of seniors afflicted with a health problem most associate with the young. Sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise.
Doctors in the age-restricted community are seeing increased numbers of cases of herpes, and the Human Papillomavirus virus, or HPV.
While statistics aren't yet reflecting the trend, one physician at the Women's Center of The Villages said, even in her years working in Miami, she has never seen so many cases.
In order to try and educate more residents of The Villages, the Leesburg Regional Medical Center plans to launch a public education program on safe sex and STD risks.
Sounds like they're having their '60s fun in their 60s! I guess if they missed the 60s, then now is the time. Glad I went through all that when I was younger!
 
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Reputation: 35450
Wow there are some really great posts here. I just discovered this forum although I have been posting in the Portland OR forum for over a year. Yes I plan to move when I semi-retire. The operative word here is "semi." I want to live a place that is less expensive where jobs are more plentiful because I will have to continue working. I hope to go from full time to part time. I am going to travel to one new city a year to see where I want to wind up. This year it's Minneapolis.

I know the grass isn't always greener but it's often cheaper.
 
Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Wow there are some really great posts here. I just discovered this forum although I have been posting in the Portland OR forum for over a year. Yes I plan to move when I semi-retire. The operative word here is "semi." I want to live a place that is less expensive where jobs are more plentiful because I will have to continue working. I hope to go from full time to part time. I am going to travel to one new city a year to see where I want to wind up. This year it's Minneapolis.

I know the grass isn't always greener but it's often cheaper.
Hi Minervah and welcome! I'm curious to know why, with so many folks thinking of Portland as a place to relocate/retire, you are moving away. Is it property taxes or other cost of living there? Or the weather?

What is your ideal location and why? (I've been appreciating all the posters' comments on this last question!)

Thanks~~
NewEnglGirl
 
Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Fresno, CA
1,071 posts, read 1,059,527 times
Reputation: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhere View Post
There are a lot of choices between Oregon and Washington that would be very nice. Having grown up in California, the thought of living somewhere where the green exists all year around would be wonderful. Here, if you blink, you might miss the 2 weeks of Spring.
I agree! I actually enjoy living here (Fresno, CA) except for those hot summers. I generally like rain and even gray and cloudy is OK; not sure how long a stretch without sun would be too much. I want someplace lush and green, mild summers and winters, close to the ocean, quiet, not too crowded, not a far drive from city amenities. If I had more money, I would probably live here part-time (where I have friends) and Oregon or maybe Washington the rest (where I don't know anyone). Hard to think of completely giving up the known positives/familiarities where I am and my little home here without knowing for sure whether the grass might actually be as green or greener in my desired locations. I want to have adventure and security at the same time. The story of my life!

A sense of community is important to me now and I'm sure it will be more so with a move to a new location. As others have posted, it's often harder to make friends later in life and it is equally if not more important to have friends,community and support as we age.

The New Mexico contingent seems to be coming together. I know several of you have mentioned throughout this thread your interest in Oregon and Washington but I haven't really kept track of who all are still contemplating these Pacific Northwest options. How many ladies want to join me in the great PNW?
 
Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times
Reputation: 1230
Cool LOL Wisteria.... LOL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Wow! I just heard some stories from some friends about the Villages -- had no idea about them!! Here is a little excerpt and a video link attached:

Sounds like they're having their '60s fun in their 60s! I guess if they missed the 60s, then now is the time. Glad I went through all that when I was younger!
Yeah.... that news is quite "old" and I wouldn't be surprised it is true However, I'm 70 years old - been around the block(s) - and (to me) the issue is quite moot
 
Old 04-13-2009, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times
Reputation: 1230
Talking The great Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
I agree! I actually enjoy living here (Fresno, CA) except for those hot summers. I generally like rain and even gray and cloudy is OK; not sure how long a stretch without sun would be too much. I want someplace lush and green, mild summers and winters, close to the ocean, quiet, not too crowded, not a far drive from city amenities. If I had more money, I would probably live here part-time (where I have friends) and Oregon or maybe Washington the rest (where I don't know anyone). Hard to think of completely giving up the known positives/familiarities where I am and my little home here without knowing for sure whether the grass might actually be as green or greener in my desired locations. I want to have adventure and security at the same time. The story of my life!

A sense of community is important to me now and I'm sure it will be more so with a move to a new location. As others have posted, it's often harder to make friends later in life and it is equally if not more important to have friends,community and support as we age.

The New Mexico contingent seems to be coming together. I know several of you have mentioned throughout this thread your interest in Oregon and Washington but I haven't really kept track of who all are still contemplating these Pacific Northwest options. How many ladies want to join me in the great PNW?
Like I've said in previous posts..... I am one who relocated 3k miles from east to west coast, southern Oregon, leaving behind a 40-year circle of friends to start anew at age 60ish. YES, it is not easy to make all new friends. I have tried I have managed to make one lady friend (a real friend) - working on several others, but I have no real social circle (other than the gent I moved west with).

Regarding the PNW...... its scenery is awesome. There are very few jobs. For those retirees on a fixed income, IMHO the cost of living is very affordable, no sales tax. I live in a very cute rural town of 2k, about 8 miles from Grants Pass a lovely town of about 30k with the Rogue River, many parks, all the necessities of a good life. Medford is about 20 miles away and Ashland (home of the Shakespaere Festival) about 30 miles south. No large university, only commumity college.

If it wasn't for the cold, damp, bleak winter (5-months) I'd say it was exactly what many of you are looking for. There are very many real estate bargains everywhere in the Rogue Valley & Evans Vally. Spring, summer and fall are all delightful!
 
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times
Reputation: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Like I've said in previous posts..... I am one who relocated 3k miles from east to west coast, southern Oregon, leaving behind a 40-year circle of friends to start anew at age 60ish. YES, it is not easy to make all new friends. I have tried I have managed to make one lady friend (a real friend) - working on several others, but I have no real social circle (other than the gent I moved west with).

Regarding the PNW...... its scenery is awesome. There are very few jobs. For those retirees on a fixed income, IMHO the cost of living is very affordable, no sales tax. I live in a very cute rural town of 2k, about 8 miles from Grants Pass a lovely town of about 30k with the Rogue River, many parks, all the necessities of a good life. Medford is about 20 miles away and Ashland (home of the Shakespaere Festival) about 30 miles south. No large university, only commumity college.

If it wasn't for the cold, damp, bleak winter (5-months) I'd say it was exactly what many of you are looking for. There are very many real estate bargains everywhere in the Rogue Valley & Evans Vally. Spring, summer and fall are all delightful!

I know that you are familiar with the heat of south Florida. I have to work outdoors all year - not all day but at least part of the day. I am tired of the 7 months of heat, humidity and the possibility of hurricanes..... What is a typical winter day like in your area? I love our winters here, this one was quite cool. It is all relative!! In the winter are the roads icy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top