Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times

Advertisements

anomoly, thank you so much for the link to the Women Living in Community site!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
anomoly, thank you so much for the link to the Women Living in Community site!
Yeah, I've had several windows open on my computer, looking at them off and on throughout the day. That one site was like a portal into 'our world'! So many links to this 'new wave of pioneers', I think you called us.

I'm spending alot of time with it all, because these are the people who have actually created something, or are in the development stage. So, anything I can learn, or any valuable contacts I can find, any ideas that might be worth pursuing.. that's what I'm interested in.
Particularly, creative financing! Did you notice---no, it was another site, 'elderspirit' --built 2 'retirement communities' based on the CoHousing concept, and got start-up money from a grant from a Retirement Research Foundation, so that got my attention.
I'm pretty good about uncovering grants, and what I'm noticing is that this is a 'concept of interest', a new trend taking place that needs 'examples' of successful, innovative models. We could be one of those! We might find interest from Women's organizations.

So, We are definitely in the right place at the right time!
Hot topics of interest get the focus, and the funding!
Major shifts are underway, in the way we think about the following:
1. women, (single, independent)
2. aging, (baby boomers, active contributors)
3. alternative communities/housing, (energy/resource conservation)
4. alternative physical/mental health supports in the community. (health problems/costs, isolation, weak family ties)

Pretty exciting!

Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Ladies!!
OK, Everyone, I've gone through the posts, and come up with a basic profile for each of us, based on what you've mentioned.
I was going to just copy and paste the list here, but I think before I do that, I will direct message each one with your profile, so that:
1. you can change or correct anything that may have changed.
2. you can add implortant details or new info to reflect your current status, and where you're at in the process.
3. you can indicate what you want to share with others here.
3. I can ask a few specific questions that will save time.

So, expect a message from me soon, with your preferences based on previous posts. Please add or update any information that would be helpful, and reply back to me with DM.
This will help eliminate those who've moved on (those who don't respond), and let those who aren't interested, say so.
I can then post a list of those who choose to be included, and your preferences. Personally, I don't think finances are as important as commitment, at this stage, and so it's up to you to discuss it or not. Eventually, of course, it will be an issue, but I believe there's always a way to make dreams come true, if you really want it bad enough.

This is the time, Ladies, to see if there's enough of us with similar interests and commitment to take it to the next level.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Here is my profile for Anomoly's list. I thought it would be good to just put it out there for everyone to see what my preferences are. Feel free to add yours. Thanks!

Wisteria

Time: 2-4 years -- maybe earlier -- depending on selling my house and making sure my daughter is settled into college.

Do you have any specific skills, or areas of interest that would be helpful in planning and organizing?

Like to facilitate groups and workshops. I currently tutor ESL (English as a Second Language) evenings, and also teach art (Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain) evenings (and work full-time at a County job during the day). I have organized metaphysical groups, worked in holistic health, started a small community school ("free school") back east, and also had a small health food (seitan) business in Seattle. Good computer skills, excellent writer/editor, researcher.

Currently: Monterey Bay (Santa Cruz area), CA. Retiring in 1-3 years, daughter off to college at the end of August.
Social worker, but seeking more ‘fun’ work or involvement; socially conscious, spiritual (not religious).
Looking for a community with open minds, intellectually stimulating (exchanging ideas and just interesting conversations).

I am also interested in a co-business -- open to what it is, although I'm sure there will be preferences and it would depend on the area and regulations of the place.

Preferences:
Southwest, sunny, dry, warm weather

Las Cruces, New Mexico, Northern California, parts of Utah, maybe even Nevada (although not tops on my list), Colorado.
Grand Junction is good, but not the northeast or northwest (because of the snow and rain -- I already lived in Seattle for 5 years, and I grew up in Western New York) -- I know I prefer and do better in sunshine and drier weather. It doesn't have to be desert -- the areas that get snow in the southwest are still "warm" compared to the northeast (it melts fast and it's still sunny).
Not the South, not Arizona (personal reasons)

Social connections
Cost conscious move
pets (especially cats)
Similar age group
Active, older singles mingle

Co-housing, Old Hotel, Abbey, retrofit

Okay, anyone else??

Old 04-04-2008, 02:01 PM

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the great replies, so far! A couple of things I wanted to clarify.

1. This thread was started by Wisteria to gather and generate ideas, and along the way, has found a few of us who share a common vision, which I see has the possibility of becoming a reality, without excluding others who are exploring their own ideas for the future.

2. Since I didn't get consent from anyone, I sent DM, instead of public posting 'single womens profiles' for the world to see. This way, those who choose to go public with detailed profiles can decide that for themselves. I'll be one of them, along with Wisteria, but caution everyone to remember it is 'public info' once it's out there.

3. Every response has been helpful to me. I'm really looking for a clear indicator of either "Yes, I'm ready to commit to a group discussion with others like me, to see if we can make this a reality", or "No, a group planning concept is not for me". Those who are not interested, have been very clear about it, while others haven't specifically indicated they'd be willing to make a commitment, if they found others who share their vision. Even 3-4, to me, is enough to establish a separate space for that purpose, without discouraging the open conversations in this thread. Even though I'm ready now, I understand that it will probably be a long time before anything is completed. But, to be completed, it has to be planned.

4. A note about 'co-housing', shared meals, etc. I think I gave the impression of something much more 'communal' than I was envisioning. Independent, intentional, and co-housing concepts take many forms, and is not a 'packaged plan'. It is developed and defined by the interests of like-minded residents. A 'community building' is just that, not a requirement for group meals or activities, but a place to allow for that. Community gardens don't require participation, but allow for it. Some of the cost saving ideas I've read about are shared laundry facilities, lawnmowers, even cars. Some are simply 3-4 homes, individually purchased, that are next to each other in a neighborhood; some "co-purchase" an additional house or building as their 'community building'. So, I didn't want to give the impression that we all need to have the same plan. Those who have no interest in Southwest, or even moving, for example, might find others with common interests, besides housing. I was going to DM each with ONLY their info, but thought it might be interesting for everyone to consider the diversity of individuals in this discussion.

4. What I left out, was a question about a 'meet-up'. This could be for those considering a 'group plan', or simply a vacation to meet and enjoy other like-minded women as the only interest. I'm interested in both. So, I'm asking: "Would you like to plan a 'meet up' with others in the next year?" "I mean, "do you actually see yourself attending?" If so, let's get the ball rolling on that idea.

Thanks, Tesaje and janb, for your input, even though you've indicated 'community inspired housing' is not something you're planning to pursue.

So, I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from participating in the discussion, even if this concept and commitment isn't 'your plan' in the long run. I hope you'll 'keep doing what you're doing', opening up ideas, which is what's made this thread of interest to so many.
Thanks,
Anomoly

Old 04-04-2008, 04:30 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I think that this is such a fantastic idea. Even just to talk about it makes me wish for the time to pass. Absolutely any and all options should be considered. That's part of the whole fun, really.
I was pretty sure that you did not mean a commune (like in Oregon in the sixties). Most of us are too old and independent for that kind of thing.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-05-2008 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Thumbs up nancy thereader

And, here is my profile for Anomoly's list. I don't have any problem with others seeing them. . Thanks!

nancy

Time: A little over a year. I would need (also) to get my college aged (but not going to school) daughter settled.

Do you have any specific skills, or areas of interest that would be helpful in planning and organizing?

Well, Wysteria's interests and skills sound fascinating (I want to be in her art class myself!). I have been a counselor and a teacher forever, I would be able to tutor people & my Spanish is relatively good in case there are any workers or people who need help nearby. I am prettty well-organized. I would be happy to help with getting things started.
:
I am retiring in June . I do have a disabled daughter who is almost nineteen. I hope to have her settled in a living situation in about a year. I would want her to be welcome to visit, though.

Special Ed. teacher, but worked with disabled adults as a counselor. Still a child of the sixties in many ways. Wear blue jeans almost all the time. Also socially conscious, and spiritual , but not formally religious).
Looking for a community with people
like me who are
more or less my age . I would like to live in an area with access to good public transportation , although I do have a little car. Hiking paths and parks would be a plus for me. I don't care so much about pools or golf, really.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I love to shop & would like a place that is near to a town or stores.

Preferences:
Southwest, sunny, dry, warm weather. I had considered Portland, but i think it just might be too cold for me. Rain, I don't mind. Cold, I do.
Santa Fe or Las Cruces, New Mexico, Northern California, Not Arizona, I don't think.
I have my wonderful Maine Coon cat Gracie whom I could not leave behind.

That's about all I can think of for now. I would also like to hear from anyone who is interested. And, thank you Wisteria and anomoly for being so diligent and organized !!!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-05-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
My profile....

Time: I just turned 57 and cannot afford to stop working.

Specific skills: I am a horticulturist (for the past 30+ years in a bot. garden) and I do content management for a portion of our website. I've been told that I am super at this, so I might want to pursue something in this direction. I have no children but I have two small dogs that are a part of my family and go where I go.

Preferences: The southwest (not Arizona). I don't want a location that gets super hot or really cold. I am tired of every day from June-October having temperatures in the 90°+ and high humidity. A few years ago, I briefly visited Grand Junction, CO and really liked it. I don't have oodles of money. I will need to sell my house, but really want to leave this area and start a new chapter.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
I forgot to add some of my interests. I love the outdoors, hiking, wildflowers, visiting parks, love history, mountains, and I enjoy shopping too! I am a very informal person and still wear shorts all the time.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:50 AM

Just had to make a comment about the one thing we ALL seem to agree on..
NO ONE wants ARIZONA!!...
I knew it wasn't just me! Not sure what your experiences are, but mine was life shattering. Glad we're in agreement on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement