U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
55+ Communitite
One thing that worries me about leaving family to move far away to a 55+ Community like The Villages is what happens if you get very ill, say heart attach or cancer. Is anyone in that community going to want to stop playing golf and having a "college experience" fun time long enough to help you through a bad time? To sit by your sick bed or help with food or trips to the doctor, like family would at home? That's very scary to me. At least here in ATL I have my daughter, who would help and care that my husband or I are ill.

I think we must consider these things as we age.
I'm not sold on the "adult community" concept.....it is one of my options and in a community like The Villages (they say) 70k people (mostly couples) and more women than men (isn't it like that most places?) However, with that many people there are bound to be some who are crass, some who are grumps, some who are delightful and some who would be perfect friends. I'm attracted to the many choices.

Furthermore, I'm very much NOT a party animal.... and I'd seek out those friends who share a common interest with me..... travel, computers, photography, hanging out at the pool, visiting all the thrift shops, ETC. More people = more options for making friends

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 AM

70 posts, read 252,598 times
Anomaly
I always enjoy how you express yourself - I'm always saying to myself when I read your post "I get it".

Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 AM

384 posts, read 877,571 times
Staywarm2 - I think in a community of any age one finds a small cadre of people who care, respond and help. In my parent's community there was always someone sick or dying - it is the nature of the beast at that age. And there was always organized and unorganzied assistance from other residents. People delivered food, stopped to visit , took people to doctors etc - and actually those needs were spread amongst many rather than falling on one or two family memebers.

Of course, when someone could no longer be alone then usually children stepped in and moved the parent to a nursing facility closer to them. Although, some were in nursing homes close to the retirement village and the retirement community residents stopped in to seem them regularly.

I got a sense of the life there because I visited 3-4 weeks a year for over 20 years, plus did one six month stint and another one year stint living in that retirement village.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:56 AM

384 posts, read 877,571 times
fairwinds - sign me up!

Along with volcanos, floods and other things we look to avoid ... you didn't mention earthquakes! Now, I love the PNW but it does have a higher probablility of a devastating earthquake than California! The "plates" off the coast of Washington are similar to that in Sumatra - one is diving underneath the other! Ah well, I guess no place is without it's thorns.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:02 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hi Minervah and welcome! I'm curious to know why, with so many folks thinking of Portland as a place to relocate/retire, you are moving away. Is it property taxes or other cost of living there? Or the weather?

What is your ideal location and why? (I've been appreciating all the posters' comments on this last question!)

Thanks~~
NewEnglGirl
Thanks for the welcome. It's a bunch of things. I miss the great fun opportunites Portland had for adults when I first moved here. Inexpensive classes given by the Park District were abundant. I remember the days of Portland's "Church of Elvis" and the "UFO Museum." Fun stuff that sadly no longer exists here. There were also many intersting activities in which one could particate offered by various groups. To me Portland has become like a suburb filled with young marrieds and kids. That's not my thing.

The weather does play a part. I am no sun worshipper and I like the overcast days but I have Sarcoidosis of the lungs and the continual dampness is getting to me.

The big thing is lack of job opportunties. I work for "Voldemort Inc." and would like to find something else but with a 12.1% unemployment rate (see today's Oregonian) that's not very likely. The cost of living is ever rising. Two years ago I had my rent skyrocket and had to find something more affordable (Voldermort does not pay all that well). I had to give or sell some precious items so I could downsize into a smaller, cheaper apartment.

I don't know where I want to move to yet. I am going to pick a different city each year to travel to until I find one that suits me. This year it is going to be Minneapolis. I am originally from Chicago so I know about the Mid-West winters. According to my research, it has theaters, museums and other things I like to be around. And the unemployment situation is not as high as it is here.

I am a city person who does like an occasional out of doors jaunt. I don't drive so public transport is a must. I like diversity in neighborhoods and interesting places to go. Portland just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Minervah - I live in Minneapolis (suburb-Edina just SW of Mpls proper). Mn is not a low tax state by any means, in fact, it's quite high IMO. We have long winters - we are just now having spring. Our weather this year has been odd - but it's been odd in most places. Maybe I'm just use to the winters but anytime you can't be outside, be it due to cold, rain, gloom, heat - it's all the same. We do have lots of sun in the winter so unless it's really really cold, it's refreshing to walk the dog or whatever, and there are many other people with the same idea - they don't stay huddled in their homes all winter.

I'm ready to leave, not because it's so unbearable, but because I need a change. I also want shorter winters - but I still do like 4 seasons. Our spring/summer/fall are really great.

If you have questions, DM me and I'll be glad to help.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Minervah - I live in Minneapolis (suburb-Edina just SW of Mpls proper)....I'm ready to leave, not because it's so unbearable, but because I need a change. I also want shorter winters - but I still do like 4 seasons.
MN2CO...
I forget...where did you think of looking in terms of relocation?
Your winters sound as bad as in NE.
I still have the furnace on and it's mid April.
If I see one more oak leave in my yard from high winds I'm going to scream!

NewEnglGirl

Old 04-14-2009, 06:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thanks for the welcome. It's a bunch of things. I miss the great fun opportunites Portland had for adults when I first moved here....The weather does play a part. I am no sun worshipper and I like the overcast days but I have Sarcoidosis of the lungs and the continual dampness is getting to me....The big thing is lack of job opportunties. I work for "Voldemort Inc." and would like to find something else but with a 12.1% unemployment rate (see today's Oregonian) that's not very likely....I don't know where I want to move to yet. I am going to pick a different city each year to travel to until I find one that suits me. This year it is going to be Minneapolis....
Minervah, Where have you explored in terms of new places to live? What have you found out about your options?

~~NewEnglGirl

Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
NE Girl..

I lived in CO (Denver) for two years and loved it - the beauty, the diverse population - which is getting more diverse everyday.

So, somewhere in CO - possibly Colorado Springs. I was looking at Denver again (southern suburbs) but my old boss lives there. I went out to look around and she offered her home - big mistake. She, as usual, had her own agenda, which, as usual, conflicted with mine. She had me working her volunteer duties - just me and all the recently released convicts. Freak me out She also had long term plans for me if I move there - so I won't.

CO has 4 seasons, but gorgeous weather and more to do than most people have time to do. Love it there.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Staywarm2 - I think in a community of any age one finds a small cadre of people who care, respond and help. In my parent's community there was always someone sick or dying - it is the nature of the beast at that age. And there was always organized and unorganzied assistance from other residents. People delivered food, stopped to visit , took people to doctors etc - and actually those needs were spread amongst many rather than falling on one or two family memebers.
This also happens in the retirement community where my parents have lived for 30 years now. When they were younger they played tennis. My Mom still stays in touch with her remaining tennis friends. They help each other out from time to time. There are a variety of volunteer or free services available when people get older, everything from free loans of wheelchairs to a van that drives you to a doctors appt. run by volunteers.

It seems that if you make the effor to be involved in whatever you like to do, you can make good, close friends of all ages including younger retirees who probably won't be dying quite so soon. My Mom has a new friend/neighbor who is much younger and still able to help with things like changing light bulbs.

I never had kids, nor did my one sister, so I'm trying to observe and learn how to make my later life go more smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement