U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-18-2009, 04:03 PM
 
2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Reputation: 2225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
Is anyone else considering climate change predictions in choosing a retirement place? It's a factor for me and one reason I'm looking to leave the Tucson area after 25 years here, for somewhere cooler. Another related factor, especially in the West, is water availability. I'd like to find a good source that compares various places for water quality, source, future supply projections, etc. Does anyone know of a good source for such comparisons?
I don't have a source of information that you are seeking, but I am in agreement with looking for somewhere cooler than S. Florida and with adequate and good quality water.

 
Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Reputation: 23726
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
Is anyone else considering climate change predictions in choosing a retirement place?
you must have watched NOW last night.. On Thin Ice . NOW on PBS

Not a bad plan, an even better one is to look into serious desalinization technologies Wouldn't you think that would make some sense? (And out of necessity MORE people may move near the coast, until we institute the "Cap the Salt" tax Water will definately be an impending crisis, similar to oil. (if bigger problems don't come before that... highly likely in USA)

I just ran the numbers, and could get 155,000 gal/yr rainwater off my roof, and rains in my zone (Northwest coast) are increasing as ocean warms and gets larger. (higher evaporation content). Unfortunately the water that falls on your property is not your water, so in many states (if any) you can't legally collect and store it. You can get some permits for using it as a watering source, as long as it finds its way back into the aquifer. (Just don't plan on consuming it )

Quote:
...Does anyone know of a good source for such comparisons?
Here is what I came up with on a search (not much more useful than NOW, but a little)
http://www.gcrio.org/NationalAssessment/water/water.pdf (a bit dated...Y2K...but nice maps and graphics ~ page 30+)(160 page pdf, don't click this on a 'pay-by-the-byte' dial-up connection...)
Climate Change Impacts on the US. Sector: Water Resources
Access : Potential impacts of a warming climate on water availability in snow-dominated regions : Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v438/n7066/full/nature04141.html - broken link)
they want you to pay to read, or you could get on your library site and search for the article (Maybe Lexis-Nexis, or EBSCO)
""Barnett, T. P. et al. "Potential Impacts of a Warming Climate on Water Availability in Snow-Dominated Regions." Nature 438: 303-309. 17 November 2005 at www.nature.com""

or bone up on your french (content in english, just indexed in french)
Barnett & al. 2005 - Potential impacts of a warming climate on water availability in snow-dominated regions (http://www.risknat.org/projets/climchalp_wp5/pages/etudes/barnett&al_2005.htm - broken link)

I'm sure there is plenty of US data / predictions from Ag colleges or water conservation districts.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-18-2009 at 06:23 PM..
 
Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
Reputation: 6866
Default Taxes, cost of living, et cetera

I live in Maryland. My home is taxed at about $3,000/year. As Tesaje points out, new assessments are conducted every three years and taxes are incremental. For example, the $3,000 is based on a first year assessment of $254,360 BUT taxes for the third year in the cycle will be based on an assessment of $311,620. My home is about 1600 sq. feet, no garage, property about 6,000 sf.

Anyway, my current concern is not the taxes but the energy bills. In mid-November through mid-December 2008, my gas and electric bill was $413. Thermostat was set at 65 degrees. Turned it down to 60 degrees. Next bill was $481.11, then finally $340.78.

I am not worried about income taxes in retirment - I'll have little income. I AM concerned about property taxes and utility bills. I've also decided I don't care if I retire near a city with excellent medical facilities. I've lived in a small city and a large city and IMHO, the hospitals and medical practitioners were of similar quality. (Besides, as a former coronary care nurse I swore I'd have "Do not defribillate" tattooed on my chest. )

I like what Tesaje wrote regarding our wants and needs - sounds just right to me.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 07:07 PM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
Is anyone else considering climate change predictions in choosing a retirement place? It's a factor for me and one reason I'm looking to leave the Tucson area after 25 years here, for somewhere cooler. Another related factor, especially in the West, is water availability. I'd like to find a good source that compares various places for water quality, source, future supply projections, etc. Does anyone know of a good source for such comparisons?
Here's the NASA site with lots of data: Global Climate Change: NASA's Eyes on the Earth
 
Old 04-18-2009, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Reputation: 35449
There are just too many pages for me to get through all of them. There are some great ideas here on the pages I have read. I am anxious to leave Portland Or in a few years when I can collect full SS. I am not only looking for a place that is kind to seniors but one where it is possible to get a job that pays a living wage.
This thread has given me some new prospects, particularly Knoxville TN. Each time something looks good to me I look it up to peruse the city website. Keep those suggestions coming.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I live in Maryland. My home is taxed at about $3,000/year. As Tesaje points out, new assessments are conducted every three years and taxes are incremental. For example, the $3,000 is based on a first year assessment of $254,360 BUT taxes for the third year in the cycle will be based on an assessment of $311,620. My home is about 1600 sq. feet, no garage, property about 6,000 sf.

Anyway, my current concern is not the taxes but the energy bills. In mid-November through mid-December 2008, my gas and electric bill was $413. Thermostat was set at 65 degrees. Turned it down to 60 degrees. Next bill was $481.11, then finally $340.78.

I am not worried about income taxes in retirment - I'll have little income. I AM concerned about property taxes and utility bills. I've also decided I don't care if I retire near a city with excellent medical facilities. I've lived in a small city and a large city and IMHO, the hospitals and medical practitioners were of similar quality. (Besides, as a former coronary care nurse I swore I'd have "Do not defribillate" tattooed on my chest. )

I like what Tesaje wrote regarding our wants and needs - sounds just right to me.
The ER's in larger city hospitals can have you waiting for hours, I found out when my kids were growing up. Many smaller towns have excellent hospitals and more immediate care. One small-town maternity hospital I went to was absolutely wonderful. So I'm with you...plus, I don't want to retire in a city. I can't see myself getting around one in my 70s or, if I get to be that age, in my 80s. I want the senior van to find me easily, pull up to my door and transport me wherever. I would take a small or medium sized town over a city with loads of cultural events, which are great in theory but which I may not be able to afford in my "golden years." Serenity, safety, and simplicity are my goals...

Where did you say you were looking, Lenora?

~~NewEnglGirl
 
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM
 
Location: SW US
2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Reputation: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
you must have watched NOW last night.. On Thin Ice . NOW on PBS
........
Yes, I did watch NOW. It was a great show.

Thanks for all the links. There is much food for thought there, in planning a move.

The southwest, including southern NM (Las Cruces), will have warmer temps and more rain. To me this means more bugs, more tropical diseases, and generally not what I'm looking for.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 07:39 PM
 
Location: SW US
2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Reputation: 3824
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I want the senior van to find me easily, pull up to my door and transport me wherever. I would take a small or medium sized town over a city with loads of cultural events, which are great in theory but which I may not be able to afford in my "golden years." Serenity, safety, and simplicity are my goals...
I'm wondering if smaller towns can afford to have services like a senior van. Does anyone know?
My parents live in a retirement town of about 30,000 in AZ and there is basically no transportation for those who need it.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
Reputation: 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
I'm wondering if smaller towns can afford to have services like a senior van. Does anyone know?
My parents live in a retirement town of about 30,000 in AZ and there is basically no transportation for those who need it.
Frederick, MD, population approx. 56,000 provides transportation for seniors and those disabled. I actually lived in a town about 5 miles out of Frederick - Middletown - which we won't discuss for the moment (if y'all have been following the news.) I believe the senior transit served the entire county population, but I'm not sure. I'm assuming there are other locations that offer the same type of service.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 PM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Frederick, MD, population approx. 56,000 provides transportation for seniors and those disabled. I actually lived in a town about 5 miles out of Frederick - Middletown - which we won't discuss for the moment (if y'all have been following the news.) I believe the senior transit served the entire county population, but I'm not sure. I'm assuming there are other locations that offer the same type of service.
Hi neighbor. I'm just outside of Frederick too. I think those vans do cover the whole county. I've seen them out where I am. I suspect that such services vary from place to place. Some will cover and some won't. It's another thing to check for any prospective places. Our taxes aren't what you would call low so that probably affects whether services like that are covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top