U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 05:03 PM

28 posts, read 79,381 times

Advertisements

All,
I thought I'd join in this discussion because I, too am a divorced, middle aged woman contemplating retirement without a ton of money. Where is a beautiful, safe, affordable medium sized college town in the West where there may be alot of single, retired men? Any ideas? I understand that San Miguel de Allende in Mexico is a haven for retired single women but haven't heard of any "havens" for retired single men. Is it just that the men get remarried or do they die off or what? I am contemplating Seattle, Blacksburg, VA. and staying in California. Does anyone have any good options? California is so expensive so I may not be able to stay but I love the low humidity out here and varied climates and landscapes.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:05 PM

3,571 posts, read 2,394,035 times
Default Considering the Pacific Northwest

Tesaje,

I really enjoyed reading your post - you actually sound a lot like me. I'm a widow who will be 55 in July and my only child will be going to college in the fall. It will just be me and the 2 dogs.

I am originally from the Midwest but I'm currently living in Glendale, CA. I like temperatures between 75 to 82 degrees and I don't mind cloudy days. I'm finding southern CA a little too hot for my taste. You sound like a normal, fun and intelligent person. Your reasons for possibly choosing the Portland area sound wonderful. I'm a little leery of moving to a place where I don't know anyone, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times
"Where is a beautiful, safe, affordable medium sized college town in the West where there may be alot of single, retired men?"
In our dreams, I sadly suspect. I doubt there's any place with a lot of single retired men. They do remarry or couple up, and the demographics of each birth cohort are against older women (whose peers usually marry or remarry younger).
On the other hand, younger men (roughly, under 45 face the same demographic problem, and are likely to be open to older company.
Seems to me that most college towns that are beautiful are a) pricey and/or b) have few retired people.
Sorry to be a downer, but I think it's really not possible in the U.S. I am certainly open to being proved wrong.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Where is a beautiful, safe, affordable medium sized college town in the West where there may be alot of single, retired men?"
In our dreams, I sadly suspect. I doubt there's any place with a lot of single retired men. They do remarry or couple up, and the demographics of each birth cohort are against older women (whose peers usually marry or remarry younger).
On the other hand, younger men (roughly, under 45 face the same demographic problem, and are likely to be open to older company.
Seems to me that most college towns that are beautiful are a) pricey and/or b) have few retired people.
Sorry to be a downer, but I think it's really not possible in the U.S. I am certainly open to being proved wrong.
You are right. Women tend to outlive men and men seem to need to be coupled up more than women. Hence, single men are a rarity unless newly divorced or widowed. I've heard AA meetings are good hunting grounds if that's what you are after. Alaska has a lot more men than women. Of course what they say up there for women in AK is: the odds are good but the goods are odd.

Most of us on this thread don't seem to be in a mate hunting mode. The topic is women moving alone. For me, I think that would be the worst thing I could do at this stage of my life. Men are expensive! Plus I like my freedom more than any man I've met in the last umpteenth years. Never say never, but ....

I think it is better to find a place you like for a host of reasons that fits your personality, desires, sensibilities, needs, etc. If there is love to be found, then being in the place you love will be the trigger to finding such a person. And if not, then you are living in a place you love.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Default Bravo!

Once again, T - well put I'm asked all the time WHY - WHY - WHY? If I found Mr. Right tomorrow that would be great. There has to be a reason I haven't even looked for so long I don't think I'd know what to do anymore - it use to come so naturally. Mr, Right would have to be Mr. Right (not Mr. Perfect - it doesn't usually exist).

Retirement must be getting close for you. Happy Saturday!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabian View Post
All,
..."havens" for retired single men. ... I love the low humidity out here and varied climates and landscapes.
Depends on the type of men you want, but you might consider looking in scenic towns near military bases or national labs. (men intensive careers, and they often stay when retired + just maybe they will have enough money to treat you to something better than McDonald's (and not expect you to foot the bill)... Wendy's will do for me)

suggestions:
Ridgecrest, CA
Idaho Falls, ID
Los Alamos, NM
Las Cruces, NM (scenic to some)
Colorado Springs, CO
Rapid City, SD
Oakridge, TN (no college, but 17 miles away to Jr College and 25 miles to UT Knoxville)

These towns each show near 50:50 for male / female ratio on C-D, so not free sailing, but surely a 'quality gal' as yourself can beat the odds of the 'sweet young things' that are attending college and driving up the 'female' statistics.

If you can get over the 'engineer' thing I think you will find these guys to be very polite, well educated, well traveled, and SAFE. I find that a good stat on CD is to look at edu levels, not that I'm biased, but... it does often make for a more stable community and good engaging conversations. That said... I would not apply that criteria to the middle of farm country, as those communities have their own values and support structure, apart from EDU, Farmer are typically not gonna be transient (you can always offer to help with chores ).

Listen well, and draw out the heart of an engineer, give them enough leash to keep their mind active in 'exploring', and they will be happy campers. The independence they need can be a plus for you to have time to do the 'girl-thing'.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-25-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 PM

You changed your name, janb!!! Any particular reason? I've been thinking of doing the same.

You also seem to speak from experience, ey? Lazy day - can't seem to rev it up - trying to pack (weed through) winter clothes and get spring/summer stuff out. I already have a hugh pile to give away - gotta minimze that final move!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
You changed your name, ****!!! Any particular reason? I've been thinking of doing the same
I have raised the dander of local officials on my stance of their taxation and 'entitilements' and getting mysterious phone calls from not too happy of a crowd. (I live in a very lightly populated area, so...with ~ 20 min of searching and cross referencing, one can 'discover' or at lease presume identity - just trying to be 'safe' er)

Google has way too high of search exposure on C-D, same thing happened when I was contesting a local bond levy last year, and had posted on C-D. I don't need anymore 'enemies', what with all the wackos (with guns) at the moment.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:15 PM

Scary- stay safe! Like your style, though

Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Hi everyone,

I'll be signing off for a while as I'll be traveling for several weeks and then, I believe, moving!!! I believe my house to be sold (though it's not over till it's over!) and then in the throes of moving to the house that I believe I will be buying I'll catch up with everyone in July probably, hoping that everyone is moving forward and following their dreams!

~~NewEnglGirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement