U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 05:55 PM

205 posts, read 359,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Karcon was a great sport! I took the wrong road to the shrine so we turned around after getting to the top before finding the right hill. She valiantly climbed two hills at 7,000 elevation without protesting. Karcon - I'm hoping you post more of your photos of your visit--maybe in one of your albums on your profile. It would be fun to see Santa Fe through your eyes. Hopefully your muscles aren't sore today - lack of oxygen can do that even if you are use to exercising.
7,000 feet!!?? I had no idea. Surpisingly the only real problem I've had is the lack of humidity. My eyes, nose and lips are drying out ! Actually, I wasn't sore. Though today my thighs are a little sore after hiking for four hours yesterday in Bandalier. Absolutely worth it!!! Santa Fe is beautiful. The landscape is so different from what I'm used to but it grows on you. All places have their own beauty. Will be posting more photos on my profile page when I get home next week.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabian View Post
I know someone who went to San Miguel des Allendes for a few months and said it's heaven for single retired women. There's so much to do and it's affordable and beautiful. Does anyone know about this place? It's in Mexico.
I was in San Miguel a couple of years ago and loved it. Was only there for a week - it was my first real vacation in probably 30 years. I wouldn't say SMA is actually affordable - you can find some bargains though. Actually it has become such an in place for Americans (with $$$) that prices have climbed over the years. Like most places that start out affordable, the word gets out, gringos start buying up the place, property values go up and there you go until the next in spot.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,391,767 times
karcon - Great pic of you and DE Did you fly to SF or drive? I imagine you're trying to check out ll the unknown areas to make sure before you buy - good idea. Hope your trip went well.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
karcon - Great pic of you and DE Did you fly to SF or drive? I imagine you're trying to check out ll the unknown areas to make sure before you buy - good idea. Hope your trip went well.
I flew into Albuquerque and rented a car to drive to Santa Fe. I arrived on 4/21 and then drove to SF on 4/22 asking myself why am I here and why am I staying two weeks???!!! I was ready to go home and told myself I am only staying here one week - that's it! Well, it's now 5/1 and I only have two more days in Santa Fe and have so much more to do, to see, and to photograph. Santa Fe and New Mexico are truly the Land of Enchantment. DancingEarth has been amazing showing me things I never would have found. I have seen landscape from mountains to desert, brown to green to red to lavenders. I have even seen the Santa Fe River!!!! This has truly been an amazing experience.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 PM

384 posts, read 877,447 times
Great pic's - sounds like Karcon and DE had a fabulous afternoon. I enjoyed the information on the shrine, too. I love places like that - or anything with a little history attached to it. I was in San Francisco earlier this week and stayed at the Westin St. Francis (thanks to priceline) - they have some wonderful historical displays throughout the main floor....including how the lobby looked right after the 1906 earthquake. I ended up just sitting in the lobby for a couple of hours looking at the architecture detail and thinking about all the people that have stayed there.

Of course, everyplace I've been on this trip I think "Oh this is delightful ... I could live here". Although after 48 hours in the city...I'm ready to get out! It is becoming clearer to me, however, that easier access to my daughter is likely to be a ruling force in the final decision. She is longing for that - and I imagine it will only grow more so for both of us over time. I am slowly facing that I"ve had a good run of it where I've been and I may need to hand over to something else for the next phase.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:10 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,391,767 times
Miruca - think you've made a wise decision about beig nearer to your daughter. I seem to remember that she's in the N.E. area?

Your post was so touching - maybe it's because it's so early here - or maybe it's because it will be Mother's Day soon.

I was in San Francisco once - I got married in Lake Tahoe and then we drove to SF - what a nightmare (the drive, not the marriage). It was May and we ran into the storm of the century going over the mountains. We had to stop and put on chains - truck drivers had just pulled over and stopped - but we had no idea of what we were about to encounter so we kept truckin. It was May - how bad could it be and we were from MN and had been there and done that - WRONG!! A real white knuckle experience!! Oh, and I was in shorts!!

Then, it rained the entire time we were in San Fran.

All you moms out there - it's Mother's day soon - where will you be?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM

189 posts, read 637,765 times
Smile Hang on to what you've worked for

Quote:
Originally Posted by jali887 View Post
I am 53yrs old and have lived in NY all my life. I am pretty well traveled and would like to move to the south My reasons have to do with: looking for less expensive living, low taxes and more value for my money. I have been offered a job in N.Carolina recently. My delimma is should I leave my permanent position with NYS Dept of Health to work with my love, Integrated Medicine in Raleigh NC. The N.Carolina Board of Nursing is no joke and seems not that welcoming to Nurses coming from out of state. The rstrictions on Nurse Practitioner practice seem more stringent then in NY where I had my own practice. Advanced practice salaries are also lower. I am still ambivalent about moving because I am near retiring and would like to hang onto my NYS retirement benefits. Any advise much appreciated and Thank you for responses.
Do NOT give up your NYS retirement benefits! Time goes so fast -- you will have put in the time to get them before you know it. I almost left my company several times (because I hated the job), but I stuck it out and now am 63 with a pension and Soc. Sec benefits -- not rich, but comfortable. I "retired" on a "special early" before, get this, my 49th birthday!!! You may not like the deal in Raleigh; then what? You'd kick yourself.

BTW, this is a huge thread, and I've only read a few pages, but I see there are many other women out there in the same boat as I regarding where to move to next. I live in southwestern Colorado, but am thinking about going back east somewhere -- like Virginia......back to the dogwood, mountain laurel, and songbirds. I went through VA in 2000 while on a huge road trip from TX (where I was living then), and the state seemed just beautiful to me. I've just looked at Charlottesville -- looks expensive, but the taxes seem relatively reasonable compared to a lot of areas. The taxes in CO are very low -- I only pay $1100/yr on a 2-year old house with 3-car garage in a nice area.

Anyway, I hope you all find your special places -- and wish me luck also.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Default NewEngl Girl REALLY takes leap

Hi again everyone,
Not wanting to jinx the situation, I've not been posting. Now is the showdown. I probably shouldn't speak so soon...but....I will report that the potential buyer of my house is supposed to sign the final contract this week. She's been here several times with her contractor doing inspections. I don't know what the terms of her final contract will be (will she offer less, or expect me to fix certain things, etc.)...Needless to say I am quite nervous and waking up in the middle of the night wondering if I'm doing the right thing...It is so very nice and special here on many levels, but the circumstances of my life are demanding that I make changes and move into a different kind of lifestyle/location. Some would say it's a step down, but with new opportunities and other kinds of amenities, I truly hope it's a step up. This whole thing has underscored for me how we have to face reality as we age...what was right and good for us even 10 yrs ago may not be at all right or good as we look ahead at the next 10 yrs. I've never had to do this before, but lookiing at the lives of older women including my mother and ex mother in law, I can see so clearly how age affects decision making. Staying in denial keeps us in a place that is only going to get harder and harder to deal with. Maybe this isn't so true for people comfortably well-off, but even for them they have to consider the affects of their living situation on their age and ability to function within it as the years go by. Hardcore facts and my inner instinct have taken over driving me to make this huge change. I hope I will survive it and live to tell another new story!! That's it for now, will post at the outcome ---after this week....

Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,951,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hi again everyone,
Not wanting to jinx the situation, I've not been posting. Now is the showdown. I probably shouldn't speak so soon...but....I will report that the potential buyer of my house is supposed to sign the final contract this week. She's been here several times with her contractor doing inspections. I don't know what the terms of her final contract will be (will she offer less, or expect me to fix certain things, etc.)...Needless to say I am quite nervous and waking up in the middle of the night wondering if I'm doing the right thing...It is so very nice and special here on many levels, but the circumstances of my life are demanding that I make changes and move into a different kind of lifestyle/location. Some would say it's a step down, but with new opportunities and other kinds of amenities, I truly hope it's a step up. This whole thing has underscored for me how we have to face reality as we age...what was right and good for us even 10 yrs ago may not be at all right or good as we look ahead at the next 10 yrs. I've never had to do this before, but lookiing at the lives of older women including my mother and ex mother in law, I can see so clearly how age affects decision making. Staying in denial keeps us in a place that is only going to get harder and harder to deal with. Maybe this isn't so true for people comfortably well-off, but even for them they have to consider the affects of their living situation on their age and ability to function within it as the years go by. Hardcore facts and my inner instinct have taken over driving me to make this huge change. I hope I will survive it and live to tell another new story!! That's it for now, will post at the outcome ---after this week....

Good luck and I hope everything goes very smoothly. Do you know where you will go next?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:07 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,512,788 times
Wow! That was fast , newenglandgirl. You must have a very pretty home. Let us all know how everything goes.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement