U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,238,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Tesaje: Cotton requires huge amounts of water and water is both very expensive and scarse resource in NM, so cotton farming is not a small scale enterprise.

Hemp, on the other hand, is native to the area, requires little water and is very resistant to pests and diseases so it would be ideal for NM agriculture. But there is that pesky DEA that would throw you in jail for that.

Don't underestimate the water requirements in the arid SW. Water is getting to be an increasingly scarce resource as the usage continues to increase in that area.
I agree. Although "hemp" grown for things such as ropes and clothing is "legal" hemp.....

Quite honestly, I'm more into doing something that wouldn't be agricultural, however, I see a lot of people are interested in gardening/plant things -- so I'm not sure what that compromise would be.

I'd be more interested in a web-based, or group of individual business endeavors (like HDL mentioned), or something else. My grandparents were farmers, and had a large farm in Western New York, and I know the intensive labor that was involved -- so, I would be hesitant to get into something that extensive. It's really a hard life, and little income.

We could create a mutually agreed-upon "product," that could be done by all in bits and pieces (we have many talents here), and then marketed part-time for extra income, to buy things we needed, etc.

With the internet, though, there are a wealth of opportunities available. We can always get cotton from someone else who is irrigating!

Thanks for the tip, Tesaje!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
well, I'm open to anything.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-10-2008, 11:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
I'd create a facility that had in-house, and out-patient physical and occupational therapy + nutrition, exercise, and diabetic consulting. (this will be in BIG demand in future, as it is now). You could have a corner chunk of the estate that would have a separate entrance, or a wing off the main place.

I would lease the property to a firm that would manage the care portion, collect the rent to cover expenses and maint on the whole sha-bang, and have plenty of part-time jobs available + gardening + admin. A Future cash flow to support several good retirements + the equity in a chunk of real estate + facility that would support many into the future. You could own the property in a trust for the benefit of the 'investors', or you could make it a non-profit, and plow the extra revenue in to expanding the place / or the needs of the community.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,057,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I knew of an herb "farm" that also hosted afternoon lunches (not a restaurant). They'd hold it outside (in the summer, of course), and people would have special meals made with the herbs that they grew there, plus, people could purchase small planters of herbs and other items.

Maybe even set up a tourist-type garden and sculptures that people would come from miles around just to experience. I'm sure there are many things we haven't even considered yet.
This is a really appealing idea! The idea of an herb/flower garden with creative garden art would be great. How about a small garden tea room with a gallery/gift shop featuring nice local crafts, art and homemade items like jellies/jams, candies, baked goods,dried herbs, cards, cookbooks,etc Ladies with internet skills could set up and maintain a website to market these products.

How about also having monthly guest speakers (authors, artists, local historians) and maybe doing old classic movie showings and charging admission to those in nearby communities.

Maybe also 4 or 5 RV sites (taking off on anomaly's idea).

Also with so many talented ladies living there, there could be classes offered from just a few sessions ("how to") to regular or long term activities such as yoga, painting, aquarobics, a writer's group or whatever. There could be a small fee for residents and a little larger fee for those from the community at large (for those sessions to be opened up to outside neighbors).

Fun to think of the possibilities!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:04 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,057,438 times
Forgot to mention that a small/limited pet boarding or doggie daycare seems like a fun idea too as most of the respondents are pet lovers.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,084,450 times
Wow! What restraint--I just found this thread and read every single one before posting! Great thread! I want to read all the websites suggested. I’ve been busy moving, getting settled, starting a job, and taking wheel throwing classes at a studio so haven’t spent much time on CD.

This is something I have been thinking about for awhile and now that I’m a little more settled, I began researching again where I would want to retire. I’ve been saying that there has to be a better way than all of us trying to do it alone. Every so often I look on-line for intentional communities. I have talked to a few but they are too expensive or too weird. I go back and forth on where to live. I grew up in Michigan and then lived in PA, NYC, Ohio, NM and WA. Like Wisteria, at first after moving here from the east, I thought it was sparse and brown but I grew to love the desert. I like to garden (herbs & flowers) and love having a quiet outdoor retreat (no place quieter than the NM desert.) I like volunteering when I have the time and becoming part of a community. Right now I am addicted to ceramics. I love learning so I need a college—would like to get a masters in women’s history or cultural and heritage tourism or art or….and the list goes on and on. I start Spanish classes (again) next week.

I always wanted to live in a barn or an old church so an abbey sounds just fine. Last weekend I looked at buying a house in ABQ and commuting to my job in Santa Fe but just can’t get myself to live that lifestyle anymore—it was either suburbs or a city house that needed lots of work and very little space. I don’t want to spend all my income and time in maintaining and paying for a house and commuting. Been there, done that when I finished raising my youngest. Right now I’m doing a house share I found on craigslist. It works short term but I have no place for a ceramic studio. That’s why I’m on the computer tonight—too cold to do it outside (my wheel is on the back patio and it’s snowing here!) and the ceramic studio is closed on Friday nights.

I like New Mexico but I’m not sure where I’d want to live. I’m back in Santa Fe because of my job. I enjoy living close enough to town to walk to work or stores but still have an outdoor space at my house. I feel done with Santa Fe —it was wonderful for the eight years I lived here before moving to WA. It is too expensive and too...not something..elitist? Not sure. But not community. Yet ABQ feels too big. I visited Las Cruces a couple of months ago and would be concerned about the heat in the summer. What I saw there didn’t do much for me--I like the mountain towns better but also feel like one time visiting for a day or two isn’t enough to judge a town. It seemed there were a few theaters which is something I’d like to volunteer in again--I've volunteered helping make costumes. I’d like to visit other towns in NM—Silver City, Las Vegas, Alamogordo area. I do love the sun here in the winter and the geography all year and the sense of space and history...that sense of timelessness.

I also play with the idea of a town in upper state NY or central PA (State College?) near water and gets cold enough to xc ski. I have xc skis – I think it might be fun to live somewhere I could get out enough to actually learn. Winter was fun when I was a kid in Michigan because you could be outside staying warm by being active. Places that are grey and mushy (eastern PA) or green & wet (WA state) are no fun at all in the winter.

Some ideas I’ve had for businesses – a retreat that brings in teachers to teach different things—arts—cooking—history of the area—yoga--gardening for a week (or weekend.) Only do them certain times of year so it’s not a 24/7 thing--probably unrealistic. And lately I’m thinking I might eventually get good enough at ceramics that I will have to sell the things or find a way to build myself a house using the pots. Hmmm…I wonder if birds would nest in a cob wall with pots placed sideways in it. Or a funky coffee shop with couches…art...a fireplace (I’m thinking of one in Bellingham and Olympia) and maybe music. Or a folk art store…or an artist co-op. Books…Las Cruces had a great used bookstore. I was very impressed and I’ve been to Powells in Portland. Count me in and I’d be up for meeting in New Mexico to check out one of the towns.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:31 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Great thread, just found it. A Red Hat Society within CD! Lots of good advice, and liked the idea of the "pods" for moving.

I am mid-50s and dream of retiring, though is not possible yet, as I have not saved enough for retirement. I have started MBA program in my old age and would like to get into admin or management for 10-15 yrs. then retire. But think about it all the time! I must be ready....except financially. Would like to remain in Texas, get a few acres, put a manufactured home on it (then later build a little house), build a barn, and have some goats, chickens, a garden. My dream retirement plan. A nice place for friends/family to visit too.

Have also traveled over the years back and forth across country, and not had much trouble with renting UHaul type trucks. Just go in as the B*tch from Hell, and they will not take advantage. One outfit tried to accuse me of "stealing" one of their long loading boards! It was not put on the truck evidently. They finally let it go after alot of hollering, as I refused to pay for it, since the slackers on the other end forgot to put it on the truck as I was leaving. They did have the good manners to call and tell me they located it, at the other end. So make sure the loading slant is on your truck before you leave!

Before a move, I also would downsize, took boxes of stuff to GoodWill, sold some higher end items, etc. I did all my own packing, hired a few "good men" to help me load, had some friends on the other end to help unload. The biggest advantage is to plan and organize in detail, so that as little as possible can go wrong. And something always does go wrong, like a flat on the truck, or the engine overheating, and having to unload and reload everything onto a new truck in the middle of nowhere. Ugh ugh. But mostly because I planned carefully everything usually went okay. Traveled also with a yowling cat.

So with that am thinking of moving further north up the Panhandle, another future big move. Trying to keep things downsized, no new big items, gathering more boxes for GoodWill. Then I at least will be in the general area of where I would like to retire in the future.

One thnig many fail to think about when moving to the areas that have acreage;is that they are mostly rural areas. That's probabily fine when young but as you get older you really need to make sure that good medical care is closeby and a decent hospital.Even ambulance service can take along time to arrive in rural areas. I had a place in the country when I was 20 tru 50 and know alot of peole who may have survived heart attacks if they had gotten help in time.Even worse is if you live there alone.People who live in rural areas many times just accept the risk.I know alot of people who sold their land and house to be closer to good hospitals.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 PM

510 posts, read 1,308,566 times
I had thought of a B&B at one point....until I realized you have to be there 24-7! I also want to relax during retirement.

In response to Wisteria: I was thinking more in terms of living in it, not necessarily running it as a B&B.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
This is a really appealing idea! The idea of an herb/flower garden with creative garden art would be great. How about a small garden tea room with a gallery/gift shop featuring nice local crafts, art and homemade items like jellies/jams, candies, baked goods,dried herbs, cards, cookbooks,etc Ladies with internet skills could set up and maintain a website to market these products.

How about also having monthly guest speakers (authors, artists, local historians) and maybe doing old classic movie showings and charging admission to those in nearby communities.

Maybe also 4 or 5 RV sites (taking off on anomaly's idea).

Also with so many talented ladies living there, there could be classes offered from just a few sessions ("how to") to regular or long term activities such as yoga, painting, aquarobics, a writer's group or whatever. There could be a small fee for residents and a little larger fee for those from the community at large (for those sessions to be opened up to outside neighbors).

Fun to think of the possibilities!
Mollyblythe and I are on the same track, in terms of vision. Call me idealistic, "I just want to make the world a better place"
I like the motivational aspect of 'guest speakers', yoga, art, health classes, and think the 'fee structure' is a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Forgot to mention that a small/limited pet boarding or doggie daycare seems like a fun idea too as most of the respondents are pet lovers.
Thanks, especially, for this one, mollyblythe: at one point, I thought about doing a 'pet-sitting' business, and see this as a viable opportunity that wouldn't take much to establish! Thanks for reminding me!

Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
One thnig many fail to think about when moving to the areas that have acreage;is that they are mostly rural areas. That's probabily fine when young but as you get older you really need to make sure that good medical care is closeby and a decent hospital.Even ambulance service can take along time to arrive in rural areas. I had a place in the country when I was 20 tru 50 and know alot of peole who may have survived heart attacks if they had gotten help in time.Even worse is if you live there alone.People who live in rural areas many times just accept the risk.I know alot of people who sold their land and house to be closer to good hospitals.
I've wondered too, about where something like this, might exist...
When I think of a place that we could compromise on, I still think of Silver City, where it's not too hot or cold. Also, I checked into a 'co-housing venture' up there (not sure if I posted a link or not), and they are 'in process'. They want a 'multi-generational' community, where older or childless people would have their own area. I contacted them, and was told they are having trouble finding 'young families' who can afford to buy into this type of thing. They might be happy to have us.
Also, I know the land (the community) is 'in-town', close to everything, so that's a bonus!

That Tularosa property is also a good compromise, in terms of location. Not too hot, or cold, *I think.

And, once again, I can't believe I'm saying it, but Truth or Consequences may be ideal for a group of women, or any like minded group. What I don't like, is being single here, because there's little to get involved with. But, on my walks, I realize that if you brought your own 'community', you could be in heaven. And, there are sooo many ideal properties for this concept! In fact, I'll post some pics. The point is, TrC is about as cheap as it gets (although I'm sure timing is important), and the town is split between the 'old guard' --against change, and the 'new guard'-- art galleries, hippie havens, holistic health, hot springs.. I think if we created something here, we would be 'a force' in terms of actualizing the 'new guard'. In other words, I think we would be welcomed, and encouraged to participate in the town as it 're-defines itself'.

I would like to suggest a 'meet up' here in TrC, (1) because it's affordable, (2) because it gives us a chance to meet, and to see the variety of properties available, even if this is not the location we want.
Anyone game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.