U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,529,576 times

Advertisements

Soon we'll be on the 200th page of this long thread, guys.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 PM

510 posts, read 1,310,317 times
Default almost!

should we celebrate the 2000th post too?

Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 PM

55,679 posts, read 74,680,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC11 View Post
Maybe it's better to leave the dead bodies behind?
death a big morbid subject but to get back on topic, i would say moving for retirees is not always a progress step. to be confident that nothing will change when i move is to assume much.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:33 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,058,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
death a big morbid subject but to get back on topic, i would say moving for retirees is not always a progress step. to be confident that nothing will change when i move is to assume much.
Isn't the point of moving so that things will change? If I wanted everything just as it is, I would not want to move nor would I retire.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times
Cool to MOVE..... or not to move ??

Quote:
IMHO the only thing to be really confident in is CHANGE That's why I moved 3k miles from e/coast to w/coast after living in the same house for over 30 years; at age 60 I was ready for a change - and I got it.

To do it all again at age 70......... well, we'll see

Old 05-09-2009, 04:29 PM

55,679 posts, read 74,680,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Isn't the point of moving so that things will change? If I wanted everything just as it is, I would not want to move nor would I retire.
ok fair question. so you made the finish line.
here is what most do.
they think they gota "do something".
they move
they buy a big house in the country
they start a business
here is what some do
stay put
stay solvent
travel some
live below their means
stay close to life time friends
stay close to good medical facilities
protect the retirement nestegg
focus on health mental and physical
stop raising kids
get a hobby

Old 05-09-2009, 04:35 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times
Quote:
here is what most do.
they move
they start a business
here is what some do
stay put
stay solvent
travel some
live below their means
stop raising kids
get a hobby
Interesting comments. My take on this:

Some people have to move to a place where the cost of living is lower to live below their means. Personally I have lived in the same area for 36 years for my job and want a change; a move to a cheaper, cooler, less crowded, less hectic area. At my age, jobs may be more difficult to find. i am studying my options and visiting areas and using C-D!

Old 05-09-2009, 04:55 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,610,770 times
Thumbs up There's always a REASON for moving........

Quote:
here is what most do.
they move
they start a business
here is what some do
stay put
stay solvent
travel some
live below their means
stop raising kids
get a hobby
All the above reasons for "staying put" are valid - if the person is satisfied with his/her lifestyle and location. That's the big IF. Staying put has its merit!

But there are many people (women) and this thread is mostly for and from women who have a specific reason for wanting to move. It might be economic or it might be personal. Life is all about making choices and as a woman..... we're good at that

Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times
For many of us, life as we knew it ceased to exist. Our jobs, some family and friends are all gone. For some, the best way to finish it all up is to physically move - experience something new. Some have never had the opportunity to move and experience a new place with new people. For some, a physical move is almost a necessity to get that kick start we so badly need.

Each of us has our own special reasons. It doesn't matter why - I love that we have the initiative to sell our homes, pack up - get rid of stuff we might otherwise hang on to, and take that first step down the road. (I just got an mental image of a bunch of people - women - jiggin down some highway to the tune "...get on down, get on down the road...")

I wish us all well - Huck, maybe you could use a change - maybe not.

Change is exactly what we are looking for.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:50 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,559,537 times
A big bravo to all of you and for this thread still going! Woohoo!!! I lurk still, don't post on it much, maybe a rep or 2 on a comment! I truly wish I'd look around C-D more when I was searching Illinois and Wisconsin before I made my move! I'd still be here but it would have been nice to type away and have the sounding board so to speak!!!

Previous poster said it so well, we all have our reasons! I jumped with both feet, maybe a little too fast but one ever knows what the future will bring. I knew I wanted to move and procrastinating, putting it off didn't seem like the thing to do. I found a house in July and by Sept. I was living in it, pretty amazing considering in April I was all over western Illinois convinced I'd move there!

All I can say is, keep thinking, keep talking, do your homework, talk to yourself if that's what it takes and go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement