U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Soon we'll be on the 200th page of this long thread, guys.

Nancy- Happy Mom's Day to ya!! AND to everyone else.

I'm wondering if you were making a statement or a point Are you thinking this thread has served it's purpose or are you acknowledging it's popularity? Just wondering.

I feel this thread is helpful to many - look at all the "peepers" that came out once we talked of having our profiles accessible to friends only (glad to have them). Do we need a Part 2?

Are you still planning your move to LC? How's the condo selling? My own uneducated guess is that condos would go fairly fast in your area.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:38 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
ok fair question. so you made the finish line.
here is what most do.
they think they gota "do something".
they move
they buy a big house in the country
they start a business
here is what some do
stay put
stay solvent
travel some
live below their means
stay close to life time friends
stay close to good medical facilities
protect the retirement nestegg
focus on health mental and physical
stop raising kids
get a hobby
From what I have read, most people, by far, stay put in the same area after retiring. I agree that it is the most comfortable and easiest way to retire. You know all that is around your life. You do not have to learn new roads, newspapers, restaurants, stores, hospitals, doctors and friends.

However, what you get to do is to explore fully your own surrounding which you will find, is that you do not really know it; because you never had the time, now you do. The Park you passed in your commute becomes a new adventure. The restaurant you wanted to visit gives you a new experience. Going shopping is different because when you slow down, it becomes less than a chore but an exploration. All that is somewhat assumed "familiar" becomes new again.

If you are fortunate enough to have lived your whole life in one area; you can have the option of visiting former haunts, playgrounds of your youth, the place of your first kiss and yes, "old battleground" which take on a different significances.

I have lived in the Denver area for over 30 years but since I am near 60; it was not my one and only place I have lived, but it appears it may be my last. I am very comfortable in my surroundings. I am happy with Denver. The weather suits me and all my family moved here from New York. I enjoy the rhythmic activities of my life because now, without work, I can control it, change it or just sit and let it flow; slowly, very slowly.

I do not have much "means" but I am still able to live below it; mortgage free with no debt. I enjoy simple pleasures. One of my goals is to visit a different park, small and little, in the Denver Metro area. Since, there are hundreds and hundreds, not even counting the Mountain Parks---I will never be able to see them all.

I also had the goal to visit every library and every branch in the Denver area. I like libraries; they were the refuge of my life--I have been to many, but not all.

I have also another activity--I like to ride buses and the commuter rails to the end of the line; I like to try out new routes and just ride and view the city and the people at a slow pace. Denver has a very extensive system with many routes that go up into the mountain foothills.

I do not like to drive my car and most of the time I am not in a hurry to get anywhere, or anyplace, to do anything. So, riding the public transit, just makes it a slow adventures. It does help that I ride for free.

Sounds strange to you??? but I have lived in Europe and New York City and I have met many people, who have the same interest. In case you are thinking, NO, they are not just "bums"; many are professionals and retirees with enough income to drive.

I have also visited museums that I missed or did not fully explore--it is much better, in the middle of work week. You have the whole quiet world to yourself. Weekends for me is to stay home and do the housework--let the workers enjoy their only days of freedom--I have it better. Today is Saturday, Tomorrow is Sunday, and Monday has no "blues" for me.

So, staying put, is not staying the same. So, slowing down in life is not stagnating. So, seeing the same sites, again and again, is not boorish. It is just another way to savor, to relish, to enjoy; and sloooooowly
Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-09-2009 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 PM

My goal = to live content. I lived in Denver 1992-1994, when I was transferred back to Mpls for a special assignment. I loved Denver, was very content there and was not happy about coming back. Not because it's so awful here, but who wants to "go backwards"? I always swore I'd go back to Denver again someday and I plan to make it back to CO - I just don't know where yet.

I'm quite impressd with your positive attitude. You obviously don't have it essyand yet you make the very best of it.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
However, what you get to do is to explore fully your own surrounding which you will find, is that you do not really know it; because you never had the time, now you do.
Good post LiveContent. Some places I've lived I've introduced people to new things in their town because I have taken the time to seek out the unique experiences. Taking public transportation is an adventure that I enjoyed in WA--not so good in Santa Fe but partly because I don't have the time. I like to walk because I'm slowed down enough to notice interesting things you don't when you are driving by--even if it's just noticing the people who have a fake carpet lawn (the very old fake green outdoor carpet) and five years later they still have it! I look forward to having more time in the future to take it even slower.

Moving isn't always the answer and I think by going thru the questioning process some will come to that conclusion and find a way to stay where they really do want to be. I hope I can afford to stay in NM because even though it's not perfect I love many things about it and hope to live content here.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:03 AM

250 posts, read 648,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
From what I have read, most people, by far, stay put in the same area after retiring. I agree that it is the most comfortable and easiest way to retire. You know all that is around your life. You do not have to learn new roads, newspapers, restaurants, stores, hospitals, doctors and friends.

However, what you get to do is to explore fully your own surrounding which you will find, is that you do not really know it; because you never had the time, now you do. The Park you passed in your commute becomes a new adventure. The restaurant you wanted to visit gives you a new experience. Going shopping is different because when you slow down, it becomes less than a chore but an exploration. All that is somewhat assumed "familiar" becomes new again.

If you are fortunate enough to have lived your whole life in one area; you can have the option of visiting former haunts, playgrounds of your youth, the place of your first kiss and yes, "old battleground" which take on a different significances.

I have lived in the Denver area for over 30 years but since I am near 60; it was not my one and only place I have lived, but it appears it may be my last. I am very comfortable in my surroundings. I am happy with Denver. The weather suits me and all my family moved here from New York. I enjoy the rhythmic activities of my life because now, without work, I can control it, change it or just sit and let it flow; slowly, very slowly.

I do not have much "means" but I am still able to live below it; mortgage free with no debt. I enjoy simple pleasures. One of my goals is to visit a different park, small and little, in the Denver Metro area. Since, there are hundreds and hundreds, not even counting the Mountain Parks---I will never be able to see them all.

I also had the goal to visit every library and every branch in the Denver area. I like libraries; they were the refuge of my life--I have been to many, but not all.

I have also another activity--I like to ride buses and the commuter rails to the end of the line; I like to try out new routes and just ride and view the city and the people at a slow pace. Denver has a very extensive system with many routes that go up into the mountain foothills.

I do not like to drive my car and most of the time I am not in a hurry to get anywhere, or anyplace, to do anything. So, riding the public transit, just makes it a slow adventures. It does help that I ride for free.

Sounds strange to you??? but I have lived in Europe and New York City and I have met many people, who have the same interest. In case you are thinking, NO, they are not just "bums"; many are professionals and retirees with enough income to drive.

I have also visited museums that I missed or did not fully explore--it is much better, in the middle of work week. You have the whole quiet world to yourself. Weekends for me is to stay home and do the housework--let the workers enjoy their only days of freedom--I have it better. Today is Saturday, Tomorrow is Sunday, and Monday has no "blues" for me.

So, staying put, is not staying the same. So, slowing down in life is not stagnating. So, seeing the same sites, again and again, is not boorish. It is just another way to savor, to relish, to enjoy; and sloooooowly
Livecontent

What a wonderful post .... you have most surely attained something intangible and so precious in your life. Something that money cannot buy.

Wishing you continued contentment.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:04 AM

177 posts, read 470,263 times
Default Again?

Aren't you beating a dead horse?

You posted this before, right?

Good luck

Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Default interesting.........

The two gentlemen who have posted on this thread express their choice for staying-put! All their reasons make sense and work for them.

However, this thread has almost 200 pages written by women who are facing retirement "alone" wanting to move to a new location, but don't know where. As a woman who has already made one such move, I can say it was one of the most difficult of life's events, even though I made the move with a friend. I can't imagine how daunting it must be to do it alone

As women, we've probably lived most of our lives raising a family and doing "for them", or working and doing for "the boss". Perhaps retirement is some sort of new rebirth, a time to do for ourselves - fulfill a fantasy, find adventure, a new start, better/different lifestyle ? Whatever our reasons are.......... we have what it takes to move forward (or stay put)

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms

Old 05-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hi Folks! I'm here this morning, and wanted to pop in and give the "catch-up" here. By the way, some really nice philosophical points posted!

It is a tough decision to move alone as a woman, especially when single and not having a lot of means. I hope that soon .... Nancy Thereader and I will get to meet-up in New Mexico, and then to also meet with DancingEarth! I'm looking for a rental around here for the time-being until I make a move. It is very expensive here, but every extra month I put into my job, the little bit more my pension goes up (and I do mean "little!").

Obviously, the housing market crashed -- unfortunately, just before I decided to move, so I am losing lots of "play" money on this house...which is really too bad. Timing has not been a great supporter of mine! I always seem to be too early or too late (maybe it started because I was a preemie!)

So, here's the update. The realtors came through my house, and, unfortunately, the price is lower than I wanted.....thus, my budget continues to decline.... However, because the housing market is such a mess, I was told I should be "grateful" that I have any equity at all...

But I am still doing it. I have spent the last few weeks hauling, pruning, painting, dump runs, maintenance, I mean, I have done so much, and I still have more to do! At least summer is coming now, so things are dry and flowers are blooming. I spent most of the day yesterday uncovering (removing ivy) the old outdoor stone fireplace! Yes, there's even an outdoor fireplace.

It is definitely a beautiful piece of property, but....the catch is that at this age, and with little resources, I just don't see it as realistic to stay here, climbing on the roof to clean it off, all the yard work that must be done, the rains are hard in the winter since there's only one road in and one road out, so sometimes trees fall, and the roads are closed. Plus, during the winter (it's amazing to me who is from Buffalo, originally, to see this) the electric often goes out. I never lived in a place where trees regularly fell, and power regularly goes out ... I mean, this is California!! Anyway, it is too large a piece of property to manage, and the costs are too high. Even if I could squeak by to the very penny, it would be too difficult alone -- all my weekends currently are spent doing yardwork, and getting things done here.

So....the photographer is scheduled for May 22nd (we had him scheduled earlier, but it was raining -- for this property, we don't want rain). Then on the 26th the Broker's opening, and May 31, the Open House. Wish me good luck!!

I am still running around cleaning, pruning, hauling, dump runs, etc., plus working my full-time job and now teaching my art class at night -- one reason I have not been here as often. Needless to say, I am exhausted!

I am coming to grips with the fact that I am leaving, and that I must see things differently. It would have been nice to have lived in a home that I had the choice to stay or not...but that is not how it is. If I ever want to retire (and I do), then I must leave here. However, for awhile with renting, it will at least be nice to leave the maintenance to someone else.

Fortunately, my daughter is going to see me today -- she is so hung into her boyfriend, that I doubted I would see her. That is also something that has been very difficult for me -- being an empty nester with no spouse or other children. That big chunk of almost 20 years of raising her is now over...and I admit that I am grieving through the process.

My goal now is to find a place to start over again -- redefine myself. Nancy Thereader and I have chatted about New Mexico -- she, too, needs a change. (By the way, can you believe how young she looks??? Oh, my gosh, I thought her daughter was her because she looks so young!! Wow, to have genes like that! )

It is warm and cheap in New Mexico, beautiful blue skies, and although it will be very different, it is still at the top of my list. But I have not totally written off Colorado! I need to take another trip to really see things realistically about a move. I realize that any move, at any age, will require compromise. There will always be things we miss from where we were, but also new things we find to take their place -- that is my philosophy, and I am sticking to it!

I agree with Anomoly -- this is a great group of older, more mature and forgiving women than the posters on many other threads. I think that our collective life experiences have allowed us to come together and voice our opinions while receiving honest and respectful feedback. It does seem very unique, and it also does say a lot for this wonderful group of women who have found each other here! Thank you to you all!!

Oh, and by the way, if anyone is not on my friends list, in case we go "undercover," please do add me to your list! Thank you!

And that is what is going on with me, Wisteria. Now that the house is so clean, it's really going to be hard to leave -- haha.

I, too, am lurking behind the scenes at work, but because I've taken so much time off to work around the property, I have to actually work at work, and do not have much time to post!

I'm glad to see so many of us still here -- it is a wonderful group, and I am so proud of how we discuss so many intricate details, and yet are so respectful and helpful to each other! I wish we did have that one little community for ourselves!

I will see you all later!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:50 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
Aren't you beating a dead horse?

You posted this before, right?

Good luck
Yes; not the same post; not the same words; but essentially some of my philosophy of life. So what! As we get older, we chew our "cud" of experiences and often repeat ourselves; the banality of the aged.

Your response also indicates the crankiness of old age; the unmitigated desire to say what you mean, and to "tell people off". Yes, I know that well, I am also an infected member of that group. If you are not of the aged, then your malady is premature and oft ill received; and must be evaluated.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-10-2009 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Listen ----there's NOTHING wrong with repeating. Everyone of the posters here has done the same thing - I thought megonow might be referring to me.

Megonow - I don't think you get the culture of this thread. If it doesn't appeal to you - don't read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement